Recommend a hospital job to me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WanderingDave

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Moderators, please feel free to move this thread to whichever forum you see fit. I wasn't sure exactly where to put it.

I'm going to be returning to the USA soon to begin my science prerequisites, in anticipation for applying to medical school two years down the road. I will be studying part time (mostly lab sciences) and working part time.

For my work, I'll be looking for something at the local hospital near the university where I'll be studying, because I want as much exposure to the health care field as possible before I take the plunge. I'd also be very willing to take a job at a smaller clinic, hospice, or the local psychiatric center. Unfortunately, I haven't worked in a hospital since my days as a candy striper during junior high, and so I don't have a good idea of what most basic hospital jobs entail. As I'm not in the country right now, I can't visit the hospital or talk to anyone working there.

My communication skills are slightly stronger than my quantitative skills, but I'm not especially weak on either. I have experience working with children in a day care / preschool setting, and enjoyed it very much. I have done cataloging and data entry for a library, which I also enjoyed. I have foodservice experience as well (who doesn't? :p ), and didn't enjoy that at all.

Based on this, can anyone recommend an entry-level hospital or other health care related job that you found enjoyable and very worthwhile?

Members don't see this ad.

you could try medical records

Hmm it's hard to find hospital positions from what I've found. Any job you get will probably be some sort of clerical work since allowing uncertified college students patient contact is not something they're going to allow. I went to undergrad in Boston and I know that hospitals like MassGeneral have internship programs that go on during the summer and school year that allow you to rotate through different department. I think your best chance is doing something like this. See if your local hospital has some sort of internship. My dad is a surgeon so I got to see a lot of surgery through him, but I think it's harder if you don't know someone who is a physician and you want to have patient contact. One thing, though, that you could do is see if a doctor's office will hire you. After a while of getting to know you, I'm pretty sure the doctor might let you go into the exam rooms with him. Good luck