Recommendations for small animal anatomy/physiology books and resources?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thehopefulvet

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking human anatomy & physiology in my undergrad but in my current shadowing position at a veterinary surgical clinic I feel I would appreciate surgical procedures better if I had a more thorough understanding of, in my case, canine and feline anatomy and some basic physiology. I have been relying on background knowledge & online resources mostly as well as diagrams from the clinic, but I really like just reading a book and looking at labeled drawings the old fashion way.

Anyone have a favorite textbook they've used for learning small animal anatomy? Or even like one of those anatomical coloring/labeling books?

The area I personally am most concerned with understanding is the stifle. They do a lot of TPLOs and when they are looking at the stifle on the scope I can't tell meniscus from cruciate and therefore can't really follow along with how the surgeon is determining the extent of a possible CCL rupture. The doctor I work for likes to use everything's latin name, too, so I would love to be able to follow along with him when he starts using that terminology.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking human anatomy & physiology in my undergrad but in my current shadowing position at a veterinary surgical clinic I feel I would appreciate surgical procedures better if I had a more thorough understanding of, in my case, canine and feline anatomy and some basic physiology. I have been relying on background knowledge & online resources mostly as well as diagrams from the clinic, but I really like just reading a book and looking at labeled drawings the old fashion way.

Anyone have a favorite textbook they've used for learning small animal anatomy? Or even like one of those anatomical coloring/labeling books?

The area I personally am most concerned with understanding is the stifle. They do a lot of TPLOs and when they are looking at the stifle on the scope I can't tell meniscus from cruciate and therefore can't really follow along with how the surgeon is determining the extent of a possible CCL rupture. The doctor I work for likes to use everything's latin name, too, so I would love to be able to follow along with him when he starts using that terminology.
Did you see the study guides in the sticky post?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Miller's anatomy of the dog - my go to anatomy book, but it won't show you arthroscopic images.
Veterinary surgery: small animal (Tobias & Johnston) - this is essentially the bible for surgeons and forms the basis of our board exams/is my main go to for reading up on sx procedures, but it is expensive. It contains arthroscopic images (though I tend to use "small animal endoscopy" by Tams for scope procedures), and has an extensive chapter on the stifle, including the physiology of CCL disease (and other surgical conditions).

I use "Piermattei's atlas of surgical approaches to the bones and joints of the dog and cat" for approaches to ortho procedures.

Reactions: 1 user
Miller's anatomy of the dog - my go to anatomy book, but it won't show you arthroscopic images.
Veterinary surgery: small animal (Tobias & Johnston) - this is essentially the bible for surgeons and forms the basis of our board exams/is my main go to for reading up on sx procedures, but it is expensive. It contains arthroscopic images (though I tend to use "small animal endoscopy" by Tams for scope procedures), and has an extensive chapter on the stifle, including the physiology of CCL disease (and other surgical conditions).

I use "Piermattei's atlas of surgical approaches to the bones and joints of the dog and cat" for approaches to ortho procedures.

thank you so much! I was thinking about buying the Tobias & Johnston one but yeah for the price I wanted to be sure that it is a reliable solid source that actual vet students use. & my current doctor I shadow likes to scope eeeeverything he can so having scope images would be a lifesaver. :)