Reflex hammers through TSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuroiscool42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Med student hoping to do an away rotation this summer, which will most likely require a flight. Does anyone know if it's okay to carry a reflex hammer through TSA?

Members don't see this ad.

It is, but they stop me with my Tromner every time, look at it, and then let me go on my way.

Might be better to just put it in the checked bag.

Reactions: 1 user
I forgot to remove my queen square and tuning fork from my bag (which I also use as a carry-on, probably sterile enough) when flying both ways to a conference this past summer. TSA didn't care enough to ask me about it, though they did run my bag through like 3 times at the first airport.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tromner seems to raise issue. Also got stopped by TSA when I was traveling for away rotation as well. Was told to keep it in checked luggage next time.

Weird. I travel with my Tromner quite often (I do locums) and I will get stopped if it's in my backpack or carry-on but have not gotten any pushback. If I have it in my backpack I've started putting it in the basket along with all the other electronics, etc. I know I'll get stopped so I'd rather save them the trouble of looking in my backpack. I tell them it's a reflex hammer and I'm a physician and I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

I'm TSA precheck for what that's worth.