Refresher for Gen chem 1 or Gen chem 2 along with Orgo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fancy312

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

SoI think I'm going to retake gen chem and orgo at my local community college, I really really REALLY need help in these courses and figured that I should just retake them while studying for the rest of the sections at home. (I have destroyer/TY jacobs notes/Feralis/Cliffs 3rd edition & crack PAT)

ONLY thing is, do you guys recommend that I take gen chem 1 or gen chem 2? along with orgo?

***note: I will be taking these at my local cc, & I can take both at the same time since I have taken them before. I scored an A in chem, and a B in orgo 1 in the past. Only reason i want to retake these courses is because its been a couple years and I pretty much just had an amazing teacher for orgo 1 that curved the class to the extreme, which resulted in me getting a B. but while studying I kept struggling and realized I really need help.

if anyone can give me their input i would really appreciate it :)

Members don't see this ad.

Dont waste your money or time please. This is a bad idea. I think it is better to just use coursesaver and buy orgo as a 2nd language book and study and read on your own using the book and coursesaver. And as for gen chem if course saver is still not clear for you to remember anything then buy a highly rated textbook and workbook from Amazon. And then you can use 1/2 of the money you would have spent in the classes and get a tutor to go over the relevant topics for the dat so the tutor can reteach you topics you might not be confident on after using the text book and free resources. A lot of colleges even have free tutoring so you can use that. Dont waste your time taking a class you already did and doing homework you dont have to do along with going into to much detail on topics that are not tested in detail for the real DAT. Ontop of that maybe you can just go to studygroups and professor office hours to ask questions for free without being enrolled.

Reactions: 1 user
@Mrhyde Thank you for your reply. I got this advice from my neighbor who is a newly practicing dentist and thats what he relied on. Maybe its just me, but I have tried Chads, and I was also thinking about going back to it since he's an awesome teacher, but I don't know why I STILL had a hard time learning it on my own. I feel really dumb even admitting this since so many people recommend his videos. and I do too, but for some reason it just didn't work for me and I still struggled from my first attempt at the DAT and the scores showed that, which is pretty much why I was thinking about just taking both classes :unsure:

@Mrhyde Thank you for your reply. I got this advice from my neighbor who is a newly practicing dentist and thats what he relied on. Maybe its just me, but I have tried Chads, and I was also thinking about going back to it since he's an awesome teacher, but I don't know why I STILL had a hard time learning it on my own. I feel really dumb even admitting this since so many people recommend his videos. and I do too, but for some reason it just didn't work for me and I still struggled from my first attempt at the DAT and the scores showed that, which is pretty much why I was thinking about just taking both classes :unsure:
How bad is bad for you? Ik the feeling of not doing as well as I wanted the first time lol. Do you take notes and do the quizzes when you watch chads? Do you feel like you need a more interactive setting maybe?

Members don't see this ad :)
@LuckBloodandSweat I just saw your first attempt and you still did stellar on GC and OC. Trust me, I did awful. Hence, thinking I just might have to retake it at my cc. I don't know man, it is pricey, and its also more time consuming but I feel like I took the notes on chads, did the quizzes, but I would mainly just end up seeing where my mistakes were and having to go back and re-watch videos. I feel stuck :/

@LuckBloodandSweat I just saw your first attempt and you still did stellar on GC and OC. Trust me, I did awful. Hence, thinking I just might have to retake it at my cc. I don't know man, it is pricey, and its also more time consuming but I feel like I took the notes on chads, did the quizzes, but I would mainly just end up seeing where my mistakes were and having to go back and re-watch videos. I feel stuck :/
Are you learning when you rewatch the vids? Do you follow through by practicing with destroyer and stuff also? I'll be glad to try to help you if you want since I'm fairly free till school starts up again lol

The first time studying, I used chads, and I felt like I was genuinely learning, but when it comes down to the quizzes, I feel like I just end up seeing what the answer is and my instant response is "ohh, i see what I did wrong now" and just end up on this cycle of not actually getting the material into my head and just still watching the videos regardless. This hit me on test day when I couldn't remember anything and started panicking.. This second time around, I haven't used chads and I am ALMOST through destroyer's gen chem and I feel like that helped more than chads. Do you think I should go along with taking gen chem 2 and orgo? Oh and to top off my anxiety, cc starts next week and I am literally going through which teachers are full or have a couple of seats left lol. No pressure.

The first time studying, I used chads, and I felt like I was genuinely learning, but when it comes down to the quizzes, I feel like I just end up seeing what the answer is and my instant response is "ohh, i see what I did wrong now" and just end up on this cycle of not actually getting the material into my head and just still watching the videos regardless. This hit me on test day when I couldn't remember anything and started panicking.. This second time around, I haven't used chads and I am ALMOST through destroyer's gen chem and I feel like that helped more than chads. Do you think I should go along with taking gen chem 2 and orgo? Oh and to top off my anxiety, cc starts next week and I am literally going through which teachers are full or have a couple of seats left lol. No pressure.
When do you plan on taking the test? Chad's is a great supplement but it shouldn't be everything. Using stuff like destroyer, BC, genius really reinforce and expose you to more different things. It would help to have a bit more background info on you :oops:

I plan on testing sometime during December. I will PM you now about myself :) Thanks for helping me out :cat:

At the end of the day if you are really dead set on spending money on some type of class then spend it on a highly rated private tutor instead of a general college class. so the tutor can teach you everything as you work through a workbook like destroyer and chads videos so you stay focused on the basics and not to much detail and you reinforce them. All you need to do before the tutor is decide on what DAT materials you will settle on using so that way there is structure.

Why don't you try "attending" some classes? If that's what you really want to do, don't pay for the class. Go to class and take notes. Lots of people skip class, drop it etc. It's never full. There's a lot of good YouTube channels too. I recommend Tyler Dewitt for GC, and for organic, a good website that explains concepts well is masterorganicchemistry.com

Good luck! I watched Chad's videos in chadsvideos.com and they were more descriptive than the DAT videos in coursesaver.com. Since those are for the class, not for DAT, he doesn't expect you to know some details.. And goes a little slower. Try that. The organic chemistry ones are still free. :) and the quizzes are in there too :D you will be fine!

@CubanDentist93 thank you so much for you input! I have tried out the ones from chadsvideos.com and thought they were helpful, but then i saw people on here like, "man those are nothing compared to coursesaver" so I'm like ??? regardless, i will try out the ones you mentioned and give it a go. I actually was thinking about " attending" some of the classes and just showing up lol, but I am honestly afraid that the professors there will be like Im sorry who are you??? and I would have to explain, oh I'm just here to take notes. I was thinking of just trying to ask a professor before it starts if it would be okay to just sit in the back and take notes, but we will see. Maybe I'll email one and ask, and if they're not so picky they will let me.

@CubanDentist93 thank you so much for you input! I have tried out the ones from chadsvideos.com and thought they were helpful, but then i saw people on here like, "man those are nothing compared to coursesaver" so I'm like ??? regardless, i will try out the ones you mentioned and give it a go. I actually was thinking about " attending" some of the classes and just showing up lol, but I am honestly afraid that the professors there will be like Im sorry who are you??? and I would have to explain, oh I'm just here to take notes. I was thinking of just trying to ask a professor before it starts if it would be okay to just sit in the back and take notes, but we will see. Maybe I'll email one and ask, and if they're not so picky they will let me.
The free ones aren't that different to be honest. Those are some wacky people.

I think you should call one of your Chemistry instructors and seeing what they think your difficulty was. Also, it is a great idea to talk to a professor about sitting in on the class. I suggest you go to the professor's office and speak with him or her directly. The problem is, sitting in on a class may be against the rules. Is there an option for non-degree or audit students? Sometimes that is cheaper.

@WarrensBeenThere I asked about the non-grade/auditing a class, and its actually the same price, the only difference is that on the transcript it wouldn't have a grade and just say "AU" I'm gonna try and talk to the profesors directly, hopefully they won't mind.

Reactions: 1 user
hey I re-took orgo because I had terrible grades before.

ended up with A+'s and a 30 on OC.. if you can pull it off while focusing on other subjects too, then I recommend to take the classes. But make sure you LEARN the topics!

I recommend Mike Christiansen who is a prof from Utah State. He has a youtube channel which is used to study for the DAT.