Repeating the MCAT - Is it a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confused1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I graduated from the University of Toronto with an unimpressive GPA (3.13). I wrote the MCAT while taking a course overload, with virtually no preparation, and scored a 503 (63rd percentile). I know that I am capable of a much much better score. I fared quite well on the Psychology & Sociology section (97th percentile), CARS was okay-ish (83rd percentile) but the science-based sections were extremely poor. I know that was because of lack of preparation and that I can score at least in the 95th percentile if I take the test again.

Is it worth it to take the test again before applying to medical schools? I would ideally like to get into a top tier medical school, even though that seems quite impossible with my current stats. So my question is, if I were to score in the 95th percentile range, would my bad first attempt overshadow it? Would it even be worth it to retake the test?

P.S - Here is some extra information about my ECs and such:

- On and off volunteering with a school in Pakistan. The school serves mostly underprivileged children and I have worked with it for about 7-8 years. I have helped create content for and run teacher-training workshops and collected resources to build a library for the school.
- Have run English language seminars for international students (2 semesters)
- Have worked in a psychophysiology research lab for two years (no publications, unfortunately)
- Have tutored English, Math, Biology, and Anatomy & Physiology at tutor.com for 3 years
- Other tutoring work
- Have acted as an executive at three different clubs: the Psychology Association, the English and Drama Society, and Health Out Loud.
- Have volunteered in a microbiology lab in a hospital in Pakistan and have worked with patient samples
- Have shadowed a doctor

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you will need to redo the MCAT but your GPA needs repair first. Are you applying in Canada or the US? Realistically, you're not in any kind of shape for top tier med schools, or really any med school at all right now. A 95th percentile MCAT cannot make up for that GPA. You took the MCAT while being unprepared, don't make the same mistake in writing it again before figuring out what you really need to do.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you will need to redo the MCAT but your GPA needs repair first. Are you applying in Canada or the US? Realistically, you're not in any kind of shape for top tier med schools, or really any med school at all right now. A 95th percentile MCAT cannot make up for that GPA. You took the MCAT while being unprepared, don't make the same mistake in writing it again before figuring out what you really need to do.

x1000. You have a long way to go before you have a viable application (numbers wise). Take time to re-do things, but the right way.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. Forget about "top tier" schools. You're looking at some serious transcript repair and an MCAT retake before you are competitive for any medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Even with an MCAT of 520 you will not be able to get into a top tier due to that gpa. Short of a 518 chances of getting into any allopathic school are non existent. Being an international candidate adds issues to the apps. Your best bet is DO school. With a better MCAT you may have a good chance of matriculating at a do school. Good luck.

If you want US MD...GPA is too low..MCAT is too low...and you are Canadian = minute chance
If you want US DO...GPA is too low..MCAT is on par...and you are Canadian = Small chance.

Get that GPA up to 3.3, and retake MCAT to 508+ and you would have a solid shot at some newer US DO schools (that are open to international). Keep in mind, grade replacement is gone this upcoming cycle for DO schools, so this will take longer than usual to do. US MD you need a 515+ with a 3.5+ as an international candidate (not to mention previous MCAT of 503..at this point, this route seems futile IMHO). Either way, the road ahead will be tough, but it's doable! If this is truly what you want, take at least 2 more years to address the GPA and MCAT, as well as continuing ECs before applying.

Last edited:
I graduated from U of T with a similar GPA and am currently an M2 at a US MD school, shoot me a pm if you want to chat.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies! It was a good reality check lol. I am definitely planning to pursue a master's program to help with the GPA problem. I will continue to work towards improving all of my stats, not just the MCAT score.

Thanks! :)

Thank you, everyone, for your replies! It was a good reality check lol. I am definitely planning to pursue a master's program to help with the GPA problem. I will continue to work towards improving all of my stats, not just the MCAT score.

The master's gpa will not help with the UG gpa. A post back or an SMP with ties to a school might be a better option.

Reactions: 2 users

Your willingness to take constructive criticism and not immediately throw a fit is refreshing. Good luck to you.

Reactions: 5 users
The master's gpa will not help with the UG gpa. A post back or an SMP with ties to a school might be a better option.
The reason I'm planning to do a master's instead of a post bacc or SMP is because from what I've learned, Canadian applicants don't really benefit much from applying to US medical schools after post bacc/SMP programs. If I have a career-based master's, such as one in genetic counselling, I will at least have better job options until I can get into medical school.

Only true in the US, not true in Canada. If you have an upward trend, you get some GPA leeway with a Master's.

I know a white guy who got in with a 500.

He wasn't a non-trad either.

You need to retake th mcat. Not just because a 503 will close a lot of doors, but because you took it with virtually no prep. Prep hard for the test and do better. Concur with the other posts above me.

Wise choice.

The reason I'm planning to do a master's instead of a post bacc or SMP is because from what I've learned, Canadian applicants don't really benefit much from applying to US medical schools after post bacc/SMP programs. If I have a career-based master's, such as one in genetic counselling, I will at least have better job options until I can get into medical school.