Repeating what the packaging says counts as patient "counseling"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swatchgirl

Exercise your brains out, so you don't get sick.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When counseling a customer, I see many pharmacists read the words on an otc packaging out loud to the customer (if it is an otc product), or they would read out the information on the prescription label (if Rx), such as "see here, you take this medicine once a day in the mornings, 30 minutes before breakfast...", and then they send the customers on their way.

Does merely repeating the printed info on a dispensing label count as counseling when more than half of the customers probably know how to read?

And is it true that most pharmacists don't even do that much when they are dispensing a medication?

What is your idea of the proper way to counsel, and what and how MUCH information do you give to the customer when counseling?

Members don't see this ad.

This is really something you should learn during 1-2 years of interning. Sometimes repeating what the label says is all you need.

Answer any questions and provide any information you think is relevant.

Reactions: 1 users
There is a fine line between counseling and giving too much information (which is easily done)... and you need to dumb it down when you do give information.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You need to figure out what's most relevant...don't spew out everything in the package insert, don't name every side effect. It's usually 1-3 of the most important things to know about the medication. You have a limited amount of time of the patient's attention. Obviously, spend more time on the medications that have more serious consequences if taken incorrectly.

You are right that some pharmacists do not counsel and will tell the patient to "sign here" to indicate refusal of consultation without even offering consultation or explaining what they are signing. That's illegal. I was extremely disappointed with one of the local pharmacies when someone I knew picked up a Rx for albuterol inhaler and had been using it incorrectly for 2 days with poor effect. I asked if they were shown how to use it and he said that they didn't offer consultation at all. Imagine if someone died from an asthma attack because they couldn't administer the medication properly. What a waste of knowledge if you're not going to use it to help people...

I think the most important counseling points to hit are indication, what to expect when taking it, directions, and common side effects. I don't think it's necessarily unprofessional to check an OTC label... especially with the limitless number of combination products.

Legally all you have to say is "Do you have any questions about the medication" and you have fulfilled the requirement to offer to counsel. Usually the customer will say "no", and if they ask a question the pharmacist usually just answers that specific question without actually counseling them. This is just based on my experience and because of this no law is ever broken while at the same time nobody truly gets counseled. I think it's up to the pharmacist to take charge in these situations and while most pharmacists are more than willing to assist customers rarely do they actually initiate counseling. Again this is just based on my experience at your neighborhood sweatshop pharmacy.

You need to figure out what's most relevant...don't spew out everything in the package insert, don't name every side effect. It's usually 1-3 of the most important things to know about the medication. You have a limited amount of time of the patient's attention. Obviously, spend more time on the medications that have more serious consequences if taken incorrectly.

You are right that some pharmacists do not counsel and will tell the patient to "sign here" to indicate refusal of consultation without even offering consultation or explaining what they are signing. That's illegal. I was extremely disappointed with one of the local pharmacies when someone I knew picked up a Rx for albuterol inhaler and had been using it incorrectly for 2 days with poor effect. I asked if they were shown how to use it and he said that they didn't offer consultation at all. Imagine if someone died from an asthma attack because they couldn't administer the medication properly. What a waste of knowledge if you're not going to use it to help people...

You also have many patients who "think" they know and will refuse consultation. I have many times start my consultations on meds to be interrupted and say "oh it's ok, my doctor told me" or "it's ok I can read it" or "I've taken it before."

And then they call on the phone later and claimed no one ever told them how to take/use it.

It happens everyday, and too frequently in fact.

Reactions: 2 users
In some states counseling on New Rx is mandatory ("offering" is not lawful) and the pharmacist must acknowledge refusal of consultation (not tech), and still other states you must counsel on refills, too. Fun times when you have 400+ fills.

In some states counseling on New Rx is mandatory ("offering" is not lawful) and the pharmacist must acknowledge refusal of consultation (not tech), and still other states you must counsel on refills, too. Fun times when you have 400+ fills.
Every. Single. Day.