Repost: Married, pregnant, and need to re-take MCAT... Suggestions on timing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joyfulone90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am pretty new to the thread but a friend of mine (Family Med intern) suggested I check it out. A little background history: I graduated with my BS in 2013, was married by August 2014, and now am expecting our first child in February 2016. I have taken my MCAT twice and have done poorly both times. Luckily, my husband now has a job that will allow me to stay home and study without having to work full time (yes, I took my MCAT in April and was working full time.. bad mistake). Anyways, I'm trying to figure out when I should re-test. Should I begin studying now and hope to study once the baby is here or should I just wait to take it Summer 2016? I don't know how unrealistic it is to begin studying now and try to continue studying with a newborn - this question is for all the parents out there.

Members don't see this ad.

just start studying and when your assesments get in a good range take the exam.....but don't take the exam again unless you will do well

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're at home now, you have time to write the MCAT before the baby is born. You would just be very very pregnant... But it might be easier than with an infant.

Reactions: 1 user
a summer MCAT date is too late for AMCAS. you'll want to take the exam so you have your score in hand preferably by June so you can apply and be complete as early as you can.

DO schools will tolerate a later app.

Study now, you would not be able to concentrate with a newborn

Hello everyone,

I am pretty new to the thread but a friend of mine (Family Med intern) suggested I check it out. A little background history: I graduated with my BS in 2013, was married by August 2014, and now am expecting our first child in February 2016. I have taken my MCAT twice and have done poorly both times. Luckily, my husband now has a job that will allow me to stay home and study without having to work full time (yes, I took my MCAT in April and was working full time.. bad mistake). Anyways, I'm trying to figure out when I should re-test. Should I begin studying now and hope to study once the baby is here or should I just wait to take it Summer 2016? I don't know how unrealistic it is to begin studying now and try to continue studying with a newborn - this question is for all the parents out there.

Do it now! Just knuckle down, study, and get it done before the baby arrives. I took the MCAT when I was 7 months pregnant (many years ago when it was a longer test, as it is now) ... and I took a bar exam with two kids under the age of two, and trying to study for the bar that way was far worse.

Do not try to do it with a newborn. Study and take it now before the baby. You will be too exhausted and busy to think about it afterwards especially if you have complications.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't even stress enough how crappy it would be to try to study for that beast with a newborn around! You'll breastfeed (or bottle feed) like every hour, the baby will cry, you'll totally have baby brain, lack of sleep, etc. No, just no! (Can you tell that I have a newborn?) ;) Do it now!

Good luck!

Yes, I agree with the comments above. I myself have a one year old and I remember going back to class with a two month old, I was sleep deprived and my baby was a very fussy one, this made it very difficult to study! The good thing was that I was only taking 3 classes so I managed to pull a 4.o that semester. I actually studied this past summer (over three months) for the MCAT, which I took in September, and when my son was around it was basically impossible to absorb any of the information. So definitely start studying now and you'll do just fine :)

Yes, I agree with the comments above. I myself have a one year old and I remember going back to class with a two month old, I was sleep deprived and my baby was a very fussy one, this made it very difficult to study! The good thing was that I was only taking 3 classes so I managed to pull a 4.o that semester. I actually studied this past summer (over three months) for the MCAT, which I took in September, and when my son was around it was basically impossible to absorb any of the information. So definitely start studying now and you'll do just fine :)

Yes, babies can be funny that way. With 3 classes and a fussy baby, kudos to you for sure! :)

Thank you everyone for your valuable input!! I will be carefully taking all of these replies into consideration with my MCAT prep :)