Required Service Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RJGOP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I say anything else, I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

Anyway, I got to thinking about my future in medicine- I've always wanted to join the military and I am considering joining after my residency (which will not be finished anytime soon).

My question is how long are deployments typically and how long are you obligated to stay in the military as a physician if you join after completion of your medical training? Commitment wouldn't be an issue for me, but I am going to be married soon, and I would prefer this not to be difficult on my wife (and hopefully kids by then).

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
4 years Active Duty and 4 more years in the reserve. I suspect you can be in the inactive reserve as the HPSP people can.
Deployments are very variable, 3-12 months depending on your service and that particular deployment. The Navy used to let you split deployments with another person, but the war put an end to that.
If you don't have a burning desire to serve and are already worried about your spouse and future kids, it is probably a bad idea.
Frequent moves and/or deployment(s) can be a career killer for your spouse. Plenty of killed marriages as well.
I had a great experience and got very lucky/made some wise choices. My wife's career was not interrupted by my service either. Most are not as fortunate.
Review the posts on this forum and make sure you know what you're getting into.

Reactions: 1 user
Deployments will largely be dictated by operational tempo. Right now we're pulling out and drawing down, but who knows where we'll be in 10 year

Reactions: 1 user