Research before residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orestis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening friends,

I am an international medical student studying for my step 1 exam. I have been told that a good way to match in the residency of your choice is to apply for some form of research to the department you want to join. The people that told me that were not fully familiar with the procedure. What kind of research can be done in 1 year? I guess not PhD. Also do you think that would it be actually helpful or should I just go for the residency match straight out university?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Good evening friends,

I am an international medical student studying for my step 1 exam. I have been told that a good way to match in the residency of your choice is to apply for some form of research to the department you want to join. The people that told me that were not fully familiar with the procedure. What kind of research can be done in 1 year? I guess not PhD. Also do you think that would it be actually helpful or should I just go for the residency match straight out university?

Thanks!
I don't think there are any guarantees for IMGs even if you do a research year. I once met a couple of IMGs who had been doing research for more than a year at a US academic institution, maybe even two or three years, but who still couldn't match. Not sure if they had red flags, but their Step 1 and 2 scores weren't bad from what they told me. I think around 230s. They wanted IM as well, not a very competitive specialty.

You should definitely try to match. Research should be a backup plan at most. Unless your goal is to be a researcher, not clinician.

my goal is to do both... but mainly research. So is there a specific amount of spots for IMGs? I used to think that everyone is competing for the same spots