Summer Research before M1 year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

septic

Reaction score
Hi everyone, during my gap year, I have only worked 2-3 days max per week and have thoroughly enjoyed all the free time (vacationed, pursued hobbies, worked out, etc.) However, now that I've taken about a year off and I'll be starting med school soon, I want to research this summer. In UG, I completed a few projects, so I feel I could be productive during this time. I have seen several summer research opportunities on my med school's page, but they state they are for M1-M2's, and I do not know if I would qualify. Has anyone got involved in summer research as an M0? How could I go about doing so?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a contact at the office of research or maybe if you know your class dean you could ask them if you qualify. I would guess that you probably don't because those programs are usually for people going from 1st to 2nd year.

If you want research opportunities you could just cold email people at your school or at a local institution and see if they have any opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also wondering/thinking the same. I am sure it wouldn't hurt to have some projects before starting med school, especially if you are interested in the competitive specialties.

Also wondering/thinking the same. I am sure it wouldn't hurt to have some projects before starting med school, especially if you are interested in the competitive specialties.
Yeah I am sure it would help, but don't go crazy and take on too much because med school is a lot. I know it might not seem like it, but simply passing classes can be difficult for some people who really excelled in school prior to starting med school.

You also don't want to burn yourself out early so I would say if you're going to do research during the summer try to tone it down once school starts so that you're not overwhelmed. Then once you get the hang of things you can increase the research intensity.

Also don't just do research to do it. People see right through that. Do it if you're actually interested in it so that you actually learn and can talk about it in a meaningful way a few years from now.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, during my gap year, I have only worked 2-3 days max per week and have thoroughly enjoyed all the free time (vacationed, pursued hobbies, worked out, etc.) However, now that I've taken about a year off and I'll be starting med school soon, I want to research this summer. In UG, I completed a few projects, so I feel I could be productive during this time. I have seen several summer research opportunities on my med school's page, but they state they are for M1-M2's, and I do not know if I would qualify. Has anyone got involved in summer research as an M0? How could I go about doing so?
Yes, I got involved with a prestigious medical schools department of orthopaedic research solely by cold calling the year before I started M1. I reached out to around 30 attendings... 20 of them just ignored me and the other 9 weren't looking to do research, but one responded and wanted to bring me on board. So that is all it takes. I will admit I got lucky, but just keep trying and looking around for opportunities and eventually a door will open for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users