Suitable research exp for an M1 (UK)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flaminhippoParasite

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm a med student from the UK (so basically out of Secondary/High School). Have been able to secure a research position in Canada with a med student planning on applying to ENT. Doing a systematic review and meta analysis. Basically I am going to be screening abstracts, studies then data extraction all using Covidence. Would you say this would be sufficient research experience (for a complete beginner) and if this would be an appropriate amount of contribution for authorship? I know there are protocols on who can and can't get authorship.

They said that I would be credited for my work.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure we can give you a proper perspective for you (as a UK medical student). Nevertheless, I commend you for finding an opportunity, and you should ask your student administrator about how this opportunity would fit with any application for specialty training (or being a GP).

I sure hope they put your name on it. I’ve had leeches who did so much less than that hop onto my papers in the past. You could always be upfront and ask.

Are you trying to get into residency in the US? Specifically ENT? If so, ENT is uber-competitive, even for over-achieving US MD grads with tons of publications. Sounds like what you’re doing would be good to put on the CV, but you’ll probably need a good deal more in addition to that if you’re trying to match into a US ENT residency.

Applying in the U.S.? Probably like 30 publications would do it now that step is pass fail which used to be helpful for IMGs to level the field to a small extent