Research experience in nyc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GradStudent87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi so I’m kind of freaking out right now for a variety of reasons that I’m not going to get into. Anyway I am getting kind of desperate for good research experience. I have been interviewed 3 times at the psychiatric institute and haven’t been able to get anything. I am particulary looking for research experience that would allow me some kind of contact with clinical patients. My interests are eating disorders, substance abuse, psychotherapy research, effects of trauma and abuse, relationships, and some personality disorders. However at this point I would take about anything as I know quality of your experience is probably more important for getting into a doctoral program then necessarily your topic. If anyone knows of places I can look into (besides the psychiatric institute) in the nyc area please let me know. Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

Well what about all the other billions of hospitals and medical schools in the NYC area? I would boaden out beyond strictly academic places as well. Many other public service agencies need volunteers (or paid RAs if you're lucky) to maintain databases, help with analysis, do patient ratings, etc.

Well what about all the other billions of hospitals and medical schools in the NYC area? I would boaden out beyond strictly academic places as well. Many other public service agencies need volunteers (or paid RAs if you're lucky) to maintain databases, help with analysis, do patient ratings, etc.

Well I guess thats partly what im asking, like what other hospitals are out there that look for research assistants in clinical psych projects. I've tried looking on various websites but I can't find much.

Members don't see this ad :)
contact a faculty member at the New School. I received my MA in psych there and there were plenty of people who did research with the labs that were not students, one lab is even tied into Beth Israel.

Beth Israel's Psychiatry dept has a great volunteer (no pay) psychiatry internship program. You get hands on research experience as well as go on rounds of the in patient floors, sit in for case conferences, etc

Well I guess thats partly what im asking, like what other hospitals are out there that look for research assistants in clinical psych projects. I've tried looking on various websites but I can't find much.

Come on GradStudent87,

Your research skills have to be better than this if you want to work as a researcher. :rolleyes: Look at Columbia, NYU, Mount Sinai, Beth Israel, Memorial Sloan Kettering, St. Lukes Roosevelt, St. Vincents, Albert Einstein, any medical center attached to a medical school...get the picture? Branch out and look into things that are relevant to clinical psych (they may conduct cardiovascular research, but have a clinical psychologist on the research team who's looking at some behavioral component or depression).

Also, if you see ads for research participants wanted (in Metro, NYPost, AM NY, Daily News), call them and tell them you want a job and ask who to contact. You may get some bratty coordinator that doesn't want to share the "wealth," but you could also get someone who is not threatened and can help.

Good luck :luck: