Research in the Social Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marquis_Phoenix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a sense of what is involved in doing research as an undergraduate in the basic sciences, clinical research and scientific research, but I am uncertain what occurs as an undergraduate research trainee under a professor in the social sciences (specifically the type of social science paper that would find itself published in Nature/Science... i.e. bioethics).

Let me make a guess from my previous experiences.

First, much like in a basic sciences lab, the professor would recommend literature for me to begin to survey, or would pose a problem or a question for me.

Following the posing of the question, I would proceed to search for articles and books pertinent to the question, sketching out points of contentious, and painting a survey of myself of the particular topic.

Finally, I would begin developing some sort of thesis regarding the problem, which would find itself in a form similar to a literature review in science?

This is my guess, but I am looking for some clarification from those that have undertaken summer research in the social sciences.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.