research methods but no stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherry12055

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

The psychology department at my undergrad only offered Research Methods. I took that without taking Stats (which was offered in other departments) but it was widely known that the two courses were essentially equivalent, except that research methods taught more. Do I need to go back and take some sort of statistics to apply for clinical psych programs? I've taken Advanced Methods courses in Psych, but is that not good enough?

If I do need to take it, would be frowned upon if I took it online?
EDIT: Also, wouldn't it look super weird to send along an extra transcript with stats being taken now right before I'm applying (if I do need to take it)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends on the grad program. Some specifically require stats and some don't. So check the specific requirements of the schools you are wanting to apply. Check to see if they allow online courses as well. If they do then it won't be that super weird.

I've had both and research methods didn't require being able to do an ANOVA by hand where stats in math dept did. Doing things out in mathematical detail improved my understanding of what analysis method was good for what and help see the weaknesses. Research methods was beneficial in teaching me how to fully use the various software packages, where in stats class we were limited to just calculator/tables only for the first 2/3 of the class.

Thank you- I'm not seeing anywhere that lists whether they accept online courses or not. Do you happen to know if most do? (Through something like Berkeley Extension School)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you- I'm not seeing anywhere that lists whether they accept online courses or not. Do you happen to know if most do? (Through something like Berkeley Extension School)?

You might have to send a few emails and ask just to make sure. I know some of the bigger university phd programs don't or at least they didn't in the past, but all of the psyd programs I know of and some phd programs do. That said, often transcripts don't specify online and if the school is in the same or nearby city it's not always apparent, so if progs don't ask and they don't say they don't then I wouldn't go out of my way to mention it when applying.

Most won't even look at the coursework. We have specific course requirements, but when students are applying to work with me, I don't go through their transcript to check classes. Did the methods class teach basic statistics? In our program, we have Methods I & II at the undergrad level. One is an intro methods course, one is a combined methods/stats course. If this is what yours was, I think that's fine. You likely don't even need to mention it. In all honesty, I don't feel like an online stats class would gain you any mileage. Most professors believe that you'll learn the stats you need in grad school anyway (likely in the lab, not the classroom).

At my University Research Methods is completely separate from Stats. We have to take Research Methods, and if we are in Honours program, 2 stats courses. We also have a choice of taking a 3rd stats course that is more advanced.

Hi,

The psychology department at my undergrad only offered Research Methods.

Take it in the math dept. Your math department MUST offer intro stats. I can't imagine a university that does not offer stats in the math dept.

Most won't even look at the coursework. We have specific course requirements, but when students are applying to work with me, I don't go through their transcript to check classes. Did the methods class teach basic statistics? In our program, we have Methods I & II at the undergrad level. One is an intro methods course, one is a combined methods/stats course. If this is what yours was, I think that's fine. You likely don't even need to mention it. In all honesty, I don't feel like an online stats class would gain you any mileage. Most professors believe that you'll learn the stats you need in grad school anyway (likely in the lab, not the classroom).

In contrast: I look at coursework for incoming students, both courses and grades. Someone with a 3.5 GPA taking stats and other research methods courses is way more appealing than someone with a 4.0 taking fluff.

If the classes are equivalent, as you've said, I don't see an issue with not taking the stats-titled course, assuming you covered the same (or more) material in research methods. You may want to keep a copy of the syllabus handy in case departments have any questions, and I'd suggest contacting prospective schools ahead of time that have a stats requirement, just to be sure everything lines up.

Edit: Although I also agree with MCParent in that if you have the choice of taking stats or something a bit "fluffier," I'd go with stats. Heck, you could even consider an intermediate-level course, if you'd qualify.

Thanks everyone! I guess I should have clarified that I am now out of school, and due to my schedule, my only real option is to take it online. Obviously if I took it at Berkeley Extension, grad schools would immediately know it was online I think? (I live nowhere near there).

I would love if that were the case, but I'm seeing a lot of schools that want "statistics AND research methods". Would I even make it past the first cut if I didn't have that statistics course?

Best way to find out is to email the schools themselves, although it sounds like you may need to end up taking one. I can only speak for me personally, but I wouldn't view having taken such a course via distance learning negatively for an applicant in your situation.

I would love if that were the case, but I'm seeing a lot of schools that want "statistics AND research methods". Would I even make it past the first cut if I didn't have that statistics course?
You might would make it to interview at my university if everything was really good, but some professors will ask if you details about stats and research coursework. You could get by but I know we look at entry requirements closely to prevent someone graduating and not meeting them.

Are you gunning for an ivy league? If not then there are community colleges that offer stats and other classes online for fairly cheap. It actually could boost your application to show an extra interest beyond your degree. Some testing heavy schools also like a course in test and measurements, biology can be helpful, etc

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I'm currently looking at UC Berkeley Extension or BYU--- do you have any idea if UC Berkeley Extension is frowned upon? I know with BYU it would just look like the regular class on a transcript but the extension program may look slightly different on the transcript because it's from an extension program?

Edit- sorry I'm repeating questions because I know someone already answered this above! But if anyone has any specific experience with either of these two programs, I'd love to hear it!

Last edited:
I'm currently looking at UC Berkeley Extension or BYU--- do you have any idea if UC Berkeley Extension is frowned upon? I know with BYU it would just look like the regular class on a transcript but the extension program may look slightly different on the transcript because it's from an extension program?

It wouldn't be frowned on at my university. and may even be seen as a positive. But then my university is on the opposite side of the US from CA. :)

It's funny that you mention UCB extension because I just stumbled across it yesterday and was wondering if anyone had experience with their online psych classes. There are a few threads in the pre-med forums about taking classes through UCBext (genetics, molecular biology). The reviews are mixed but the bad reviews seem *really* bad. Their reviews elsewhere are not positive either, but I've never heard anyone say anything one way or another about the psych classes specifically. So I'd love to hear from someone who has gone through it. The price and the name are certainly appealing but the reviews are scaring me away.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app