Research / Shadowing ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterPIG

Pan con timba
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior I have been doing research in the Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics department for 2 semesters now. I am now starting my junior year and have not done any shadowing with an M.D. I have volunteered in the local hospital for more than 50 hours.

How should I go about finding a doctor to shadow? What would be a good approach?

Should I stick with my research, which is going well. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

DEFINITELY shadow doctors. Maybe you can talk to the volunteer coordinator where you volunteer. If you have any friends in med school, maybe they can hook you up with somebody. Talk to your personal doctor. Maybe s/he knows someone in the area that will be happy to have you around. Talk to family members and see if they know any doctors. It's hard to find one at first, just a lot of networking. Once you're going though, it's great. I think it's really necessary to do because you might actually find out that you hate it early on and save yourself 8 years and more than 100 grand in the process.

Talk to the volunteer director at the hospital you volunteer at. He/she should know a number of opportunities available for you. Good luck :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest asking your family doctor.

Is shadowing that important? If you are pitting your time against research vs shadowing...I think that research is more important. If you want to shadow..i wouldnt let it in the way of research since you have already committed yourself to a year of it already. In all, how much can one really learn from shadowing? Maybe I am wrong...

Shadowing isn't that important, if you've already got something else to talk about when they say, "So, what kind of exposure do you have to what doctors do every day?" If you've already volunteered at a hospital, I think you're good on that front. Stick to your research -- much larger ROI.

Anka