Research Summer Before Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOhustle

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I know SDN’s consensus on pre-studying to be a hard no, but how about getting involved with research on campus? I recently received an acceptance to a DO school that I’m 99% sure I will be attending in the fall. The school I was accepted to has a relatively significant research presence, and I was wondering what people’s thoughts were on trying to contact affiliated professors at the school to start research activities before school starts. I’m interested in PM&R, and I know as a niche field it can be hard to find specific PM&R research, especially at a DO school, which is important to be competitive for residency.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know, but I too am interested in hearing the answer because the same thought has crossed my mind.

Congratulations on your acceptance. :) That's so exciting. :)

I'm excited you are considering PM&R. My dad is a paraplegic and I had a spinal cord thing too when I was younger and those PM&R docs were the most helpful people ever.

I think that is a great idea! One thing that you may want to look into is if schools have a rule about when medical students can start doing research. I know that some make you wait until second semester as to not overwhelm students early on. I don't know if that rule also applies for the summer before as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get involved with research early. Once school starts take the first year to get into a routine for studying. After you have established a good routine pick back up in research.

So yes get involved with research BUT don't let it take the last little bit of your freedom before you begin medical school as well.

if you like research go for it if you hate it then dont, it will only help match chances