Research vs. Shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterPIG

Pan con timba
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one is more important / efficient?

--------------------
Fra-Gators.JPG

Members don't see this ad.

Research. I didn't even do any shadowing.

Efficiency requires a measure. Is your measure impressing an admissions committee, having fun, or figuring out what you want to do for a living? Research also requires more of a time commitment (i.e., if you really want to impress someone, you should try to publish -- that will require a huge time commitment over an extended period). Shadowing you can do for a couple of weeks, for a few hours, and get a lot out of as far as (1) saying you did it, (2) having fun, (3) figuring out whether medicine is TOTALLY NOT FOR YOU (the positive statement requires a much longer time).

Best,
Anka

Members don't see this ad :)
For how long should I shadow? How many doctors? I have dont the research for a year already, and its going very well.

imho shadowing is a pointless exercise done solely to fulfill some premed "requirement." whenever i shadow i just feel like i'm in the way of the doctor and usually it is pretty awkward around patients. if you have a doctor who doesn't mind if people shadow, then by all means do it. you can learn a lot.

for me personally, though, research was the way to spend the bulk of my ec time as an undergrad.

I'd have to say that shadowing is more important. I had a friend who applied last year with four years of research experience at a prestigious lab and no REAL clinical experience. Though he had a 31 MCAT and a 3.7 GPA (with a major in biochemistry), he did not receive an acceptance to any of the schools in which he applied. He said that his interviewers repeatedly kept asking him to talk about his CLINICAL / HOSPITAL experiences. When he tried to elaborate more on his research, the interiewers cut him off and told him that he was not answering the right question. In summary, I'd say that both are important. Personally, I have had three years of research experience in two labs and am involved in a selective doctor-shadowing program at my school. I think it's good to have both, because some schools are looking for research experience, and others value clinical experience more. If you can, try to incorporate both into your application....remember that summer is a good time to enhance your extracurriculars; at some schools, EC's are as or more important than your GPA and MCAT.... :p

futuremsfdoc said:
imho shadowing is a pointless exercise done solely to fulfill some premed "requirement." whenever i shadow i just feel like i'm in the way of the doctor and usually it is pretty awkward around patients. if you have a doctor who doesn't mind if people shadow, then by all means do it. you can learn a lot.

for me personally, though, research was the way to spend the bulk of my ec time as an undergrad.
Any time that I have volunteered, (Radiology Interventional / Eye Center / Sports Med) I always feel as if I am in the way of the doctors as well. I completely agree with you on that. That is why I am trying to find a private practice where I can shadow, hopefuly it will be less hectic that doing volunteering through the university. It feels very cut throat even, having other volunteeres there.

What are some good clinical experience ideas? Can anyone suggest some, I need more than the hours volunteered in the above list. Thanks. :confused:

My shadowing experience was pivotal in my decision to enter medicine. I would highly recommend shadowing! I tried to volunteer at a couple of hospitals but after getting the run around for a few weeks I took matters into my own hands and decided to find a place to volunteer myself. I looked on the web and started randomly calling doctors in my zip code. After some persistence I found one who let me come in to her clinic and watch what she did. Sometimes I did feel like I was just following her around, but I tried to ask lots of questions and help with whatever I could. She was an Ob/Gyn and after a few visits she let me help her deliver a baby. Eventually she let me watch multiple deliveries, including scrubbing in for a c-section! If you get hooked up with a good doctor you may get to do some cool things.
That's my $0.02.

It's great if you can find a job/volunteer position that has some shadowing opportunities. This summer I'm working with a pediatrician on his research by getting patients to fill out questionnaires. So I normally go into an exam room with the doctor and he introduces me as a research student and then I stay and talk with the family after he is done with the exam. I've shadowed in the past, so I definetly understand the feeling of awkwardness and being in the way, but I get less of that now, since I feel like I have a purpose for shadowing besides my own curiosity.

I don't know how many hospitals have opportunities like this, but I would suggest trying to find a doctor who is doing clinical research and see if you can help in exchange for shadowing.

polargirl said:
It's great if you can find a job/volunteer position that has some shadowing opportunities. This summer I'm working with a pediatrician on his research by getting patients to fill out questionnaires. So I normally go into an exam room with the doctor and he introduces me as a research student and then I stay and talk with the family after he is done with the exam. I've shadowed in the past, so I definetly understand the feeling of awkwardness and being in the way, but I get less of that now, since I feel like I have a purpose for shadowing besides my own curiosity.

I don't know how many hospitals have opportunities like this, but I would suggest trying to find a doctor who is doing clinical research and see if you can help in exchange for shadowing.

That's right, the best of both worlds. Do clinical research so you get to see patients and be involved in new medical research. I'm doing my thesis at a pediatric clinic between when the nurse rooms them and the doc comes in. Of course i am doing the shadowing thing too. If you find a good doc they won't make you seem like you are in the way. My doc has partners who host med students from OHSU so he treats me like they are treated and tells me to go in first and see what i think. I haven't been brave enough yet :oops: