research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optics2020

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, has anyone applying to optometry school done any research before. When they say research do they mean any research within a science or within optometry? Would anyone point me to the right direction as to where to start searching for research opportunities? I am from NY so if anyone that applied to optometry school that's from NY has done any research would you be so kind as to point me to the right direction.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, has anyone applying to optometry school done any research before. When they say research do they mean any research within a science or within optometry? Would anyone point me to the right direction as to where to start searching for research opportunities? I am from NY so if anyone that applied to optometry school that's from NY has done any research would you be so kind as to point me to the right direction.

Thank You

I would imagine most schools when they are talking about research are referring to undergraduate studies work not specific to optometry although if you can find that kind of work more power to you. Personally I didn't do any research here in undergrad and instead focused primarily on shadowing experiences and that seems to be more than enough for the schools I've applied to. Research in your field of study is just another way of showing that an applicant is dedicated, enthusiastic about the field they are studying, and things like that. Personally I think it would look better if you shadowed doctors and were well-rounded by getting involved in various campus groups, but that's just me. Take care.

I do research w/ finding a therapeutic for Dry Eye. Specifically site-directed mutagenesis on a glycoprotein called lacritin, which stimulates tear production. My school gives upper level biology credit or money for participating in research (I get 2 credits/semester).

I believe that most science professors do research; often it is WHY they teach (to get funding w/ a university rather than trying to get it on their own). If you're interested in doing research, I bet you could talk to the head of your biology (or other health related major) department to see the list of professors that do research. Then, if you see some research that appeals to you, just shoot that professor an email or stop by his/her office. Be prepared to have to ask several professors, because they don't always need more research assistants.

I definitely recommend doing independent research. It's usually pretty interesting, it's a GREAT talking point during interviews (especially if you get lucky enough to find eye/vision related research), and if you start early enough, you can get a fantastic LOR from a professor that will really get to know you.

Members don't see this ad :)
optics2020,

I echo the same opinions of undergraduate research... it certainly boosts your application and it gives you a lot to talk about when interviewing. I have done research for three years...and how much it gets brought up really depends on the interview (even though you can obviously guide the conversation towards whatever you like). At SCO, they were VERY interested and wanted to know everything. They were impressed about my submissions to PNAS and Nature, but at IU they almost seemed to think that my research was too hardcore for someone going into optometry. So, with that said, I would suggest doing some research in any field. It would be great to concentrate on optometry, but that may be difficult and limited depending on your institution. Research just shows the schools that you have put in something "extra" that shows you have dedication and persistence. Also, it gives you a solid scientific foundation because optometrists are scientists after all.... but like someone else said, shadowing/volunteering is just as important and you probably want to focus on those activities as well.

Good luck!

I have done research in organic chemistry for 3 semesters. It was fun but at the same time lot of work. i put in so much time that my grades went down terribly because of it.

GPA > anything. imo research does sound good but it really dosen't make a significance difference in the adcom's decision in letting you in. As long as you apply early, have a good GPA, decent OAT, and a somewhat interesting resume you'll get in just fine. i don't see why people waste time doing research just for the sake of getting into optometry school. it's probably a better idea to do community service instead of wasting your time being a lab worm.

GPA > anything. imo research does sound good but it really dosen't make a significance difference in the adcom's decision in letting you in. As long as you apply early, have a good GPA, decent OAT, and a somewhat interesting resume you'll get in just fine. i don't see why people waste time doing research just for the sake of getting into optometry school. it's probably a better idea to do community service instead of wasting your time being a lab worm.

I agree with the above. For me, it worked in as part of my coursework, so I still got the chance to do more than enough shadowing and community service. Basically it's a complete GPA booster while still giving me an interesting perspective & great aspect for the resume. I wouldn't have done it if I couldn't get upper-level bio credit for it, but I'm glad it worked out.