Researcher at Alliant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazypsychstudent

Clinical Psychology (Psy.D.) Candidate
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why not look at schools that aren't FSPS? It is unlikely you would get to work with this professor because Alliant probably has huge cohorts.

Edit: Their match rate was 6% last year, wow.

Edit 2: I was referring to the PsyD program with the 6%, just realized they also have a PhD program – the match rate for the PhD program last year was 35%.

Thanks. Also, random question. Since half of the schools I am applying to have a January 1st or 16th deadline, I'm thinking about finishing up those apps over winter break. However, will I still be able to call and ask them if all of my materials were received? I am worried about this because schools aren't open during winter break...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Also, random question. Since half of the schools I am applying to have a January 1st or 16th deadline, I'm thinking about finishing up those apps over winter break. However, will I still be able to call and ask them if all of my materials were received? I am worried about this because schools aren't open during winter break...

The USPS has a good track record. The internet has an even better history. Relax. If every applicant wanted a conformation call, the department secrataries would never get to do anything else in the winter months.

I know everyone on this forum says Alliant is not a good school, but their San Diego campus has a professor who researches and has a lot of publications on BPD which is my main interest.
https://www.alliant.edu/advanced-search/faculty-profile.php?profile_no=185#tabs-2
Thoughts?
You could always apply to U of Washington. I hear they have a professor who has done a little research in BPD. :D If you made something like that your goal, then even if you don't succeed, the fallback plan would still be more respectable than aiming for the lowest tier. A 6% match rate is embarrassing.

Reactions: 1 user
George Washington is.

Yeah, there are so many BPD researchers at schools with good match rates. Plus you also want to consider clinical training in addition to research training.

Mentorship is important, though so is the program. If the program is suspect...then you are rolling the dice that your classes and other practica experiences will be sufficient. Also the cost...

As others have intimated, there are many more BPD researchers out there. And, with class sizes the way they are at that program, you will have little in the way of one on one mentoring that you;d get at other places. Not too mention the lack of career opportunities with that match rate.

Just because someone has a lot of publications, does not mean you will be on them. I think that's an important thing to realize when applying to professors at any school. This person at Alliant may seem really active or prestigious because they themselves were a very good student or had a very good mentor. How many of the authors on those papers are student authors? In addition to match rate, funding, etc, you're also going to need to analyze how willing/often your POIs publish with students. I just glanced at this, but I see that the author publishes a lot with Eunice Chen (Faculty at Temple) and Marsha Linehan (Faculty at UW), Chavira (faculty at UCLA), McNally (I think faculty at Harvard). He went to UW, so it seems like he did a great job at networking and getting a lot of pubs and EXCELLENT research collaborators, but look at the dissertations he has chaired- I don't see any of those names coming up in the publications. You wanna get your hands on a pub and get authorship in a doctoral program!

If you're interested in staying close to CA and want to work on BPD-
Check out the clinical psych Ph.D.s at University of Texas, Austin- the researcher there (I forget her name), is studying BPD and starting to look at features in individuals under 18 or University of Washington- obviously Marsha Linehan. If you are willing to move away from CA, Rutgers located in New Jersey which is close to NYC if you're looking for a big city has Edward Selby and Shireen Rivzi (Rivzi?). Also, if you're interested in BPD, you can check out researchers that study emotion regulation, suicidality, or NSSI, as those are big components and their samples may or may not consist of BPD patients, but either way, it will be a similar experience with the emotion regulation piece.

Best of luck to you!