Reserves while in Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lohengramm

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the IRR after serving for 5 years AD and was wondering about the possibility of going into the Active Reserves while in medical school. I will be deferred for 2 years of mobilizations due to coming off of Active duty and the Navy has recently passed a NAVADMIN suspending involuntary mobilizations for the time being (though that may be subject to change if war were declared I would imagine) so it seemed like a good opportunity to still be in uniform for a few more years to test if I like the reserves. The recruiter also stated I would be able to return to the IRR at any time as I have not committed to any bonuses.
I am not interested in returning to AD or committing for many years/going milmed without first trying it out.
Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the ARMY reserves but I assume these things kind of work the same. As long as you are in medical school, you are only obligated to you one weekend a month, of course with the exception of a war breaking out. Also, I would not believe a recruiter who is telling you that you can go to the IRR at any time. I have never heard of that from any reserve component. Could you please elaborate more on the specifics of what the recruiter was telling you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not even sure what those acronyms are other than AD.

If nobody else can answer what you are asking here, maybe this forum will prove more helpful:

Thank you I'll check it out if it doesn't work here.
I am in the ARMY reserves but I assume these things kind of work the same. As long as you are in medical school, you are only obligated to you one weekend a month, of course with the exception of a war breaking out. Also, I would not believe a recruiter who is telling you that you can go to the IRR at any time. I have never heard of that from any reserve component. Could you please elaborate more on the specifics of what the recruiter was telling you?
My understanding was that as long as it's approved by the NOSC (reserve command) CO I would be able to transfer over to the IRR. Not sure if that's only the case because I was prior Active duty or if it's how the Navy works. I was offered a bonus but I would be declining it for the flexibility to transfer to the IRR just in case it does not pan out for me.

Thank you I'll check it out if it doesn't work here.

My understanding was that as long as it's approved by the NOSC (reserve command) CO I would be able to transfer over to the IRR. Not sure if that's only the case because I was prior Active duty or if it's how the Navy works. I was offered a bonus but I would be declining it for the flexibility to transfer to the IRR just in case it does not pan out for me.
Ok, that first part "as long as it's approved by NOSC (reserve command) CO..." makes sense to me. I can totally understand that part. A lot of commanders on the reserve side wield this authority and will exercise it when the deem necessary. So, if you are in good standings and communicate clearly, most times, your CO will adhere to your wishes. Besides offering you the chance to test the waters as a reservist, is there any other reason that you would like to become a NAVY Reservist?

Part of it is to have some extra money while waiting for school to start/during school and the other part is I do want to give the reserves a shot and if I do enjoy it, return as a physician in the future.

Part of it is to have some extra money while waiting for school to start/during school and the other part is I do want to give the reserves a shot and if I do enjoy it, return as a physician in the future.
I plan on being in the reserves while I am in medical school. I do not know many people who have had any negative experiences but then again I only know a couple of people who did both simultaneously. I say go for it! Especially with the deal that they are offering you.

There is a difference between active reserves and drilling reserves. Active reserves is essentially full-time active duty, but for reserve units so when they come in once a month, they're able to otherwise function. Drilling reserve may be what you're talking about? The once a month thing.

I'd recommend against it. Med school is tough, and you very well may want an occasional free weekend, and you don't want a potential free weekend to be stuck drilling, nor do you want to be stuck drilling if you have an exam or boards looming.

Regarding extra money, since you're coming off active duty, you'll have GI bill or VR&E which will pay you a housing stipend. That should be plenty in most cases. The lost weekend for a few hundred in the grand scheme is not worth it IMO. I'm saying this as someone who came off active duty, and drilled for about 1-2 years while in college and subsequently stopped. Having gone through med school, I would not have wanted to drill ever during that process.

Being in the guard or something through a program is a little different in that they're sometimes more flexible knowing youre in med school and being that the program (i.e. Army MDSSP or similar) where they may give you credit for drilling for studying as your appointed place of duty or something. If not in a program (i.e. voluntarily drilling instead of IRR), they're not going to understand and you'll lack flexibility.

If you want to go back in, then look at one of those programs. Otherwise wait until you're a resident or after match heading into residency, or as an attending.

Reactions: 1 users
Got it, I think I will probably walk away from the drilling commitment and stick to the IRR. I will miss the base gym. Thanks!