Residency program selection with allergy intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doctah123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying for internal medicine residency, interested in allergy fellowship after residency so up to now have only been considering residencies that have an allergy fellowship.

I am competitive to match well for IM residency (probably at a well-regarded academic program--upper to upper middle tier-- but definitely not the level of UCSF/Harvards/Duke/UPenn/UWash). But I am starting to think I should apply to some strong community programs just to see if I like the atmosphere better and because I am interested in staying in Texas (or at least the south) but may not necessarily like the training atmosphere of UTSW, BCM, Emory, etc. I work hard, but I also want to be happy and place a high value on having support.

I know that community programs like BUMC in Dallas and Methodist in Houston do have excellent match records for competitive fellowships like cards, but I am wondering about allergy. Would it be silly to be intending to apply to allergy fellowship yet go to a community residency without an allergy program?

I have only heard of a handful of strong community IM programs that are somewhat a hybrid of academic and community programs: BUMC in Dallas, Methodist in Houston, Johns Hopkins Bayview, Scripps Green. Does anyone have any more to suggest? And would this be wise if I am intending to apply to allergy?

Also, only slightly related, what are the prospects of matching to allergy from a primary care track? I just like outpatient medicine and desire an equal balance.

Thank you so much for your help!

Edit: also what are the prospects of good research and elective experience at strong community residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.