Residency search- all HCAs bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some people don't want to put in the work, especially after being told that they don't pass muster. Instead, they make one excuse or another.
Ok, so fail them or tell them to go into a fellowship that doesn't require procedures. Accountability matters, I'm not disagreeing with you. I just think there are ways to encourage people to get better and this seems like a... unique approach.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so fail them or tell them to go into a fellowship that doesn't require procedures. Accountability matters, I'm not disagreeing with you. I just think there are ways to encourage people to get better and this seems like a... unique approach.

Yeah, it was never about procedures. You must have missed the part where people often refuse to believe that they have to get better.

Anyways.

EVERY SINGLE ATTENDING ON HERE can't BELIEVE that you said that "HCA treats its physicians well".

That should tell you something about your experience and sample size.

"Hey guys; why should I see more chest pain patients? I've already seen one. I know what to do now."

Reactions: 4 users
I worked for HCA for several years. I really enjoy teaching residents and am affiliate faculty currently for an em residency that rotates through my hospital. I don’t think there is any way I could train the average resident in EM properly if it had ti be done at an HCA facility. They would have bad habits thoroughly ingrained in them from the get go and I would probably be risking my job just by trying to teach them the difference between the HCA way and a reasonable way of doing things.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I worked for HCA for several years. I really enjoy teaching residents and am affiliate faculty currently for an em residency that rotates through my hospital. I don’t think there is any way I could train the average resident in EM properly if it had ti be done at an HCA facility. They would have bad habits thoroughly ingrained in them from the get go and I would probably be risking my job just by trying to teach them the difference between the HCA way and a reasonable way of doing things.

I remember when I graduated and my first job was at an HCA shop.
Nobody did the medicine correctly even back then; but this was far before the clone wars and parlaying every metric into perversions of care.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the reasonable explanation. Is it ok if I ask which state and around what time you worked for them? Just for curiosity's sake.

Thanks for the reasonable explanation. Is it ok if I ask which state and around what time you worked for them? Just for curiosity's sake.
I try to keep some level of anonymity but it was Florida and it was within the last 10 years and I have worked at more than one HCA-Envision ED.

Reactions: 1 user
I remember when I graduated and my first job was at an HCA shop.
Nobody did the medicine correctly even back then; but this was far before the clone wars and parlaying every metric into perversions of care.
What does a nurse, a clipboard, and HCA all have in common?

I remember quite a few years ago as a medical student, I rotated through an HCA hospital. To this day, I remember that it was the only rotation where the residents straight-up told me not to come there. I also have vague memories of the attending getting in “trouble” because it turns out he sent a patient that, based on metrics and workup, could have been admitted to the floor instead. He was reprimanded because he sent a patient home. It wasn’t because the care was bad; it was because he cost the hospital an admission.

Forget that noise. Nope nope nope.

Clipboard nurse comes down the hall…Click click clack clackity click…

“Dr. Rusted fox, the data and metrics are in. You didn’t admit enough and you didn’t up code enough “

Clipboard nurse comes down the hall…Click click clack clackity click…

“Dr. Rusted fox, the data and metrics are in. You didn’t admit enough and you didn’t up code enough “

It was so bad at the one HCA site where I worked my first attending gig.
SO bad.
Here I am, trying to do the right thing, being told that I was doing it all wrong, all wrong, all wrong.

I'm pointing you in the right direction.
Hey guys; GUYS ! - Anyone - ANYONE - on here think that HCA treats their physicians well? ANYONE ?
You know I love to rant against HCA and their entire evil system. And but I have exactly two things to say in HCA's defense:

1. Via their contract with TH, they paid me enough over 2 years to buy a nice house in CA, free and clear, while having few enough and quiet enough shifts at their FSEDs to chill out a bunch on-shift and still sleep enough to have a modicum of family life on my days off.

2. They really are good at teaching speed and customer service*. Much better than my residency, in fact. It definitely was a skill to remain a reasonable adult and temper some of the nonsense my crazy-ass medical director told me to do with avoidance of harm and practicing actual medicine rather than just being a candyman LARPer. But once I learned to walk that line, I've found that patients pretty much always love me, and I haven't been sued once since residency (fingers crossed).

Would I do it again? Nah, I'd probably just skip from residency to my current new job, assuming they would've hired me. Which they probably wouldn't've.

* Although my particular HCA shop mostly taught these things by using fear and psyops, in particular some crazy medical director/hospital admin tag-team kabuki theater. As I've written before, they pull the same garbage on their RNs, particularly older experienced ones. I can't even imagine what kind of nasty BDSM my shop would've pulled with residents, had their EM residency plan succeeded, which thankfully it didn't.

Last edited:
OK, one member has been banned from this thread for more or less warping the entire conversation into a negative personal back and forth. We've also removed a number of posts that were just name calling and sarcastic which serve no positive purpose.

Let's please try to keep this thread civil. There is actually some useful discussion in this thread.

I see you're fluent in condescension.
Why re-read a thread when I know several HCA physicians on a personal level and have rotated through their facilities?
As if as a medical student you know if they are good at what they do. They might be but it’s only minimally better than crappy VA healthcare looks like
Some VA care is fine. For the most part it’s subpar.