Residency visa query

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Protosri

Reaction score
Hi guys. I've applied for neurology, awaiting match results. I have ranked preliminary programs based on H1B visa sponsorship. The advanced program of my choice mentioned in their packet and in email communication that they transfer H1B visas from other programs.

That being said,

1) Is it possible for the advanced program to force conversion to J1 visa after the prelim year? Does it happen?

2) Since H1B petitions are valid for 3 years, for my final PGY4, they would have to extend my visa. Can programs refuse to do that and enforce conversion to J1 then?

Any thoughts and experiences are appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Which programs were on your ROL?

IMO,

1) Yes, they can do that
2) It is easier for programs to offer you a J1 in that case. They would not give you another H1b valid for 3 years if you will be leaving their program.

Agreed, it is easier for programs to take the J1 route.

The prelim programs did communicate that they would sponsor H1B for the prelim year.

The issue arises with the refusal of transfer by an unrelated advanced program who have also, as of now, communicated their policy of transferring H1B.

1. Sure, it could happen. Hospital policy could change so they no longer sponsor H visas. But it's unlikely.
2. Renewing your H1b is very straightforward. Unless US visa policy changes making this impossible/difficult, it's not a worry. The extension is a max of 3 years, or when your job ends.

Thank you!

1. Sure, it could happen. Hospital policy could change so they no longer sponsor H visas. But it's unlikely.
2. Renewing your H1b is very straightforward. Unless US visa policy changes making this impossible/difficult, it's not a worry. The extension is a max of 3 years, or when your job ends.