Resigned today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USCguy

Earnest Internist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
(ARNG MD)
So I submitted my letter for resignation today. Been thinking about it since I got back from Atlantic Resolve in 2021. I’m currently just shy of 11 years service and I can’t see myself doing this another 9+ years.

I think the final decision point for me is the strain on my family. My civilian job has evolved over the years and I’m to the point I don’t want to give the Army a weekend per month, I would rather give that to my family (I take a lot of weekend call). My unit was graceful and allowed me flexibility in regards to drill, but at this point I don’t want to go at all; and my unit is likely on the list for another rotational deployment in 2025.

I remember watching football on tv on thanksgiving as a kid and they always showed the soldiers overseas watching the game, and I remember thinking those joes were the real heros…then I got the opportunity to miss all the important holidays in 2020. The guys I know with 3-5 deployments since 2001; I don’t know how they did it, especially the docs with practices back home. I feel I have given what I needed to give “to my country”; no regrets!

My parting thoughts on my ARNG experience are mostly positive.
1) Saw parts of the world I’ve never thought I would see (ie Africa, Eastern Europe).
2) Had some great senior docs as mentors in our detachment.
3) Witnessed great leadership, and also had the opportunity to experience terrible leadership (lessons learned from both).
4) Mass casualty training; never used it on military side but it really came in handy during a natural disaster last year where we took 35 casualties in 2 hours as a small community hospital. Knowing what right looked like in that moment made all the difference for a lot people.
5) Tricare: it has been amazing for my family
6) so many stories…

I agree 100% with what I was told in 2010 when I started talking to AMEDD recruiters and searching SDN; join the military because you want to serve in the military; the incentive money is just the cherry on top. If you do it for the money; you will be miserable and make everyone around miserable.

Now to see how long it takes to clear the unit and get my honorable discharge 🤣

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! And thanks for your service.

I’m going through resignation currently in the army reserve. Still waiting from mid-January, but found out it took UA 2-3 months to send my forms and counseling forward. Then it is a 6 month process. NG is usually a lot better at processing paperwork. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
(ARNG MD)
So I submitted my letter for resignation today. Been thinking about it since I got back from Atlantic Resolve in 2021. I’m currently just shy of 11 years service and I can’t see myself doing this another 9+ years.

I think the final decision point for me is the strain on my family. My civilian job has evolved over the years and I’m to the point I don’t want to give the Army a weekend per month, I would rather give that to my family (I take a lot of weekend call). My unit was graceful and allowed me flexibility in regards to drill, but at this point I don’t want to go at all; and my unit is likely on the list for another rotational deployment in 2025.

I remember watching football on tv on thanksgiving as a kid and they always showed the soldiers overseas watching the game, and I remember thinking those joes were the real heros…then I got the opportunity to miss all the important holidays in 2020. The guys I know with 3-5 deployments since 2001; I don’t know how they did it, especially the docs with practices back home. I feel I have given what I needed to give “to my country”; no regrets!

My parting thoughts on my ARNG experience are mostly positive.
1) Saw parts of the world I’ve never thought I would see (ie Africa, Eastern Europe).
2) Had some great senior docs as mentors in our detachment.
3) Witnessed great leadership, and also had the opportunity to experience terrible leadership (lessons learned from both).
4) Mass casualty training; never used it on military side but it really came in handy during a natural disaster last year where we took 35 casualties in 2 hours as a small community hospital. Knowing what right looked like in that moment made all the difference for a lot people.
5) Tricare: it has been amazing for my family
6) so many stories…

I agree 100% with what I was told in 2010 when I started talking to AMEDD recruiters and searching SDN; join the military because you want to serve in the military; the incentive money is just the cherry on top. If you do it for the money; you will be miserable and make everyone around miserable.

Now to see how long it takes to clear the unit and get my honorable discharge 🤣

No shame in popping smoke and knowing when you've had enough. I tell everyone who joins or thinks of joining especially on the reserves/guard side. "you need to use the Army for your goals because they are sure going to use you for theirs and when it becomes no more fun then walk away".

I just think with promotions the way they currently are right now in the reserves/guard and the state of the world right now and the state of milmed in general a lot of people are going to be popping smoke before they spend a ton of time overseas. You did your time and fulfilled your contract. I'm sure you'll miss it because of the people you were serving with and some of the aspects of the job, but your family is what matters and your personal happiness with life.

Good luck on a speedy discharge and enjoy civilian life!

Reactions: 1 user
I bailed out of the Air Guard at 16 years and could have written the exact same comments as USCguy.

I am now out for 10 years and the only regret I have is the loss of the fantastic relationships with my fellow unit members.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user