Resources for Ortho, Internal Med, Gen Surg, and ID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PodRezzie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I am a PGY-1 who just started. I was wondering if anyone had good resource (books, websites, etc) for some of my rotations.

1. Ortho (We cover ortho at my program too, so I need a more in depth resource).
2. Internal Med
3. Gen Surg
4. ID

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Here are some books that we used in my former residency program, where we also served as the Orthopedic Surgery residents.

For Orthopedics, my favorite book is Orthopaedic Surgery: The Essentials by Mark E. Baratz, Anthony Watson, Joseph Imbriglia, Jodi Lyn Fowler. This book might be more difficult to get since it is an older book, but you might find it in the library.

If you cannot find that book, you can also try Orthopaedic Surgery: Principles of Diagnosis and Treatment by Sam Wiesel, John Delahay, Wudbhav Sankar, Brent Wiesel.

These two books are very easy read and great for quick reference. If you want more in depth books, you may want to check out Campbell's or Rockwood and Green's books, which are comprehensive textbooks for Ortho.

For Internal Medicine, my favorite book is Medicine by Mark Fishman, Andrew Hoffman, Richard Klausner, and Malcolm Thaier. This is a very easy concise book to read. There are tons of other medicine review books out there and you may like one of those better than Fishman's Medicine book.

Of course, if you need much more in depth, you may want to check out the comprehensive Harrison's Medicine textbook.

As for General Surgery, there are three comprehensive general surgery books: 1. Sabiston 2. Schwartz 3. Greenfield. These are useful if you want much more depth in a specific topic.

As for quick review and easy read, one of the senior residents on General Surgery had recommended Current Surgical Therapy by John L Cameron and Andrew M Cameron. Some people like Fundamentals of Surgery by John Niederhuber, which is written for medical students and PGY-1 residents. Of course, there are tons of general surgery handbooks that you can take a look at as well.

Hopefully this helps.

Last edited:
Here are some books that we used in my former residency program, where we also served as the Orthopedic Surgery residents.

For Orthopedics, my favorite book is Orthopaedic Surgery: The Essentials by Mark E. Baratz, Anthony Watson, Joseph Imbriglia, Jodi Lyn Fowler. This book might be more difficult to get since it is an older book, but you might find it in the library.

If you cannot find that book, you can also try Orthopaedic Surgery: Principles of Diagnosis and Treatment by Sam Wiesel, John Delahay, Wudbhav Sankar, Brent Wiesel.

These two books are very easy read and great for quick reference. If you want more in depth books, you may want to check out Campbell's or Rockwood and Green's books, which are comprehensive textbooks for Ortho.

For Internal Medicine, my favorite book is Medicine by Mark Fishman, Andrew Hoffman, Richard Klausner, and Malcolm Thaier. This is a very easy concise book to read. There are tons of other medicine review books out there and you may like one of those better than Fishman's Medicine book.

Of course, if you need much more in depth, you may want to check out the comprehensive Harrison's Medicine textbook.

As for General Surgery, there are three comprehensive general surgery books: 1. Sabiston 2. Schwartz 3. Greenfield. These are useful if you want much more depth in a specific topic.

As for quick review and easy read, one of the senior residents on General Surgery had recommended Current Surgical Therapy by John L Cameron and Andrew M Cameron. Some people like Fundamentals of Surgery by John Niederhuber, which is written for medical students and PGY-1 residents. Of course, there are tons of general surgery handbooks that you can take a look at as well.

Hopefully this helps.

Thank you so much!