Results for 2014 Written Boards - When?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SitraAchra

Attending Anesthesiologist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it's been over a month and still no results for written boards. The ABA login has been down for two weeks. What the hell is going on and when can I get my results?

Members don't see this ad.

Last year, I remember getting the results around mid September. Got the results via snail mail. I don't think there will be anything on the ABA website until you pass the oral boards, so nothing about whether ones passes or fails written, just that you remain in candidate status.

I think that is ridiculous that they send it my snail mail. Get with the times and post it online. I'm all for snail mail as a confirmation measure but allow us to find out as soon as possible online.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, last year's results were available online, during the last week of August. I imagine the delay this time is entirely related to the system migration, as they call it. We got snail mail results a few weeks later.

I feel your pain (somewhat), as I am awaiting the results of my CCM boards, hopefully my last test for 10 years. The suspense isn't nearly as painful as the wait for my ABA writtens, but still annoying.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree - I remember it as Nuriko described it. We got an email, which simply told us "Your results are back. Log in to find out how you did". There's a little section on the ABA website called "Exam Results", and that's where you find the good news...

Agree - I remember it as Nuriko described it. We got an email, which simply told us "Your results are back. Log in to find out how you did". There's a little section on the ABA website called "Exam Results", and that's where you find the good news...
+1

Oh, and make sure the email doesn't end up in your Spam folder.

One would hope that after shelling out >$1500 for an exam, the results would be in a little sooner...Any idea why a completely electronic exam administered over only two days, takes over 1 month to input/derive deviations and send back results?

Funny, I never got an email about my written results, but got an email about my oral results. Likewise, I got my written results in the mail, but never got my oral results in the mail. I remember the ABA telling the examinees that results would be mailed. Oh well...

this wait is painful. hopefully all good news for all of us.

I would expect the results to be posted early next week. They are later than usual.
Funny, I never got an email about my written results, but got an email about my oral results. Likewise, I got my written results in the mail, but never got my oral results in the mail. I remember the ABA telling the examinees that results would be mailed. Oh well...
Look in your spam folder. Make sure the address [email protected] is whitelisted.

Actually back in 2004 when I was waiting for results.

The aba website was getting hammered big time. Everyone was checking every day for their result.

The "email" from aba to check results didn't arrive until 3 hours AFTER I found out my results on the website already.

Same thing with oral board results in 2005. We found out hours before the official email came from aba.

I guess the ABA has improved their email process over the years.

Anyways. I believe the results should be out for both the basic and real written exam this week.

Honestly the aba probably could have released their result days after the tests.

Crnas find out their results almost instantly.

Aba has the data instantly. It's just that they just decide what percentage they want to pass. Like a moving bell curve where they play god.

I talked with ABA this morning. they were hoping to have portal up late this week but she said there are no guarantees. Extremely poor planning on when they decided to do a system migration.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Come on, cut them some slack. It's not your breast biopsy result.

Come on, cut them some slack. It's not your breast biopsy result.

No it's bad timing for the aba. They get a lot of fees paid to diplomats and candidates in training.

Yeah I don't see anyone here flipping out or anything - its just not the brightest thing to have a 2-3 week website downtime when thousands of residents have just taken the exam.

Doesn't make sense.

Yeah I don't see anyone here flipping out or anything - its just not the brightest thing to have a 2-3 week website downtime when thousands of residents have just taken the exam.

Doesn't make sense.

I completely agree. Major oversight on their part. I'm not freaking out and I am calm but frustrated at the situation nonetheless.
Red

For as much money as we pay for the 'honor' of jumping through the certification hoops, you'd think they would pick a better time to start the server migration. Also, as much as they harp on professionalism, the ABA website certainly lacks that. They could have at least posted a blurb stating approximately when and how we could expect results. We all paid a $h!tload of bucks. /end rant

Damn, that feels better!!!

For as much money as we pay for the 'honor' of jumping through the certification hoops, you'd think they would pick a better time to start the server migration. Also, as much as they harp on professionalism, the ABA website certainly lacks that. They could have at least posted a blurb stating approximately when and how we could expect results. We all paid a $h!tload of bucks. /end rant

Damn, that feels better!!!

My guess is that it was planned to coincide with the exams. They probably knew that they would screw everything up with the new system (2 different exams at the same time). This way they have a buffer for all the complaints they would have received otherwise.

Or maybe it was just an oversight. I dunno, I like conspiracy theories.

Got the pass email too - good luck to everyone. That was a hell of a long wait.

armyofdarkness-quotes-hail-to-the-king-1.gif

Hail to the King, Baby! Pass here too.

Anyone else feel the need to be hedonistic and get sozzled and carouse like pirates? I do. :)

Wife went and bought some steaks and the Coors is in the fridge.

Not mature enough yet to be a Scotch man.

Reactions: 1 users
Feels great! That would have been a rough test even with a copy of big miller available.

Passed as well, woohoo! Now I can focus on my fellowship and orals!!

Congrats to all!

Congrats to all who passed.

My advice is to celebrate, and then start studying for the oral boards and especially doing a couple of mock orals per week, no excuses, from the material you have already studied. Don't postpone it, guys; it takes just one hour/week. By the time spring comes, you'll have done more than 40 mock orals, which is double the minimum you need to get good at them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone wanted to like, I don't know, crash out for a nap after the news sunk in? I felt like my cortisol level dropped to negative levels....zzzzzz.

Pass here. Thank you Jesus.

FFP, good advice. Where can we get mock oral questions and any other oral advice?
There used to be more of these on the ABA website (I am trying to find them on the Web), but here are 2 just to get a feeling: http://www.theaba.org/pdf/SamplePart2Examination.pdf

Try to borrow/buy some of Ho's review/mock oral books. Those were the ones I used to prepare. Otherwise, this book, while full of spelling errors, is pretty decent to start with. Board Stiff 3 is also chock full of cases. The latter two are not good enough, just to being with.

It's not. That's why they built the new headquarters in NC. All applied examinations will be in Raleigh, versus the previous East Coast spring session + West Coast fall session. More here. Don't miss the list of Part 2 examiners. ;)

Btw, one reason to make sure you pass the first time is the new OSCE section of the applied exam, coming in 2016 if I am not mistaken.

Seems like the result was really good this year. I haven't heard of a single person failing (yet).

Seems like the result was really good this year. I haven't heard of a single person failing (yet).

Keep in mind the people who fail probably aren't going to be talking about it, or posting. Congrats everyone!

Keep in mind the people who fail probably aren't going to be talking about it, or posting. Congrats everyone!
Agreed. But from my residency program apparently there was 100% result. The new place I'm at also had 100% result for the graduating ca3 .

Agreed. But from my residency program apparently there was 100% result. The new place I'm at also had 100% result for the graduating ca3 .

If true, that is damn impressive. When I took my boards, I know of one person from my graduating class who failed, and I have my suspicions for a couple of others. Congratulations!