Resume and shadowing questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tony729

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working on my resume and aacomas application. I had shadowed a dentist during the summer before college and was wondering if adding that in to my application would be good or bad.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently working on my resume and aacomas application. I had shadowed a dentist during the summer before college and was wondering if adding that in to my application would be good or bad.

Unless you are planning on a DO DMD/DDS dual degree then I would refrain from putting this on your application. It holds no real bearing on the application and id suggest putting something else there.

Reactions: 1 users
thank you. I was thinking it could potentially hurt my application because it shows a bit of indecisiveness.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you. I was thinking it could potentially hurt my application because it shows a bit of indecisiveness.

Nah it won't hurt your application, but it will be questionable as to why you would add dentistry experience to an application to medical school.

Not a big deal.

If I was to include it, then would it be better to show how that experience strengthened my decision of becoming a physician?

If I was to include it, then would it be better to show how that experience strengthened my decision of becoming a physician?

Don't include it. When you write your personal statement and when/if you receive secondaries then include there if it was significant in your decision to pursue medicine.

And by that I mean use about half a sentence to describe that your first interest in the health professions was dentistry and explain why you made the shift from dentistry to medicine.

I had the same experience. I shadowed a dentist as well a while ago. I would not list it. It isn't going to help/hurt you in my opinion. This is like trying out for a baseball team and then saying you have basketball experience. It isn't going to HELP, but it won't HURT.

ok thank you, I have decide not to include it

Reactions: 1 user