Retake an uneven 508?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

something-creative

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
So it looks like I will need to reapply for med school and I was hoping to get some advice.
My current break down is as follows:

Graduated 2016
Not URM

cGPA 3.81, sGPA 3.69
MCAT: 505 (122, 131, 126, 126), retake 508 (124, 129, 126, 129) ---> I Know. Chem/Phys destroyed me.

Clinical Experience: >3000 hours as a scribe (ED and ENT clinic)
Clinical Volunteering: ~100 hours of ED volunteering, ~400 hours Medical Brigade vounteering over the course of 4 years (leadership role)
Non clinical Volunteering: ~400 hours throughout various community service based organizations on campus (that I also held leadership roles in)
Research: 2 years of biochemical research (resulting in thesis and presentation though no publication)

Other EC:
-Began a health related organization at my university that has grown to become one of the largest orgs on campus and received federal funding for our events and activities.
-Semester of service learning studies in public health and development in South East Asia.
-D1 athlete
-Teaching Assistant
-Worked part time for most of undergrad

I didn't apply to too many schools this year for financial reasons (I tried to be reasonable about which schools I chose).

-State school
-SLU
-MCW
-University of Vermont
-Drexel
-University of Arizona Tuscon
-Tulane
-GW
-Rosalind Franklin
-Miami (reach but really interested in their Global Health and MPH program)

I did not apply to DO schools this cycle because I did not have a physician letter (I have recently secured a DO and an MD letter).

I know that my MCAT is one of the biggest holes in my application (mostly the chem/phys section). My question is whether I should bother retaking it. I know that my score is above average at most DO schools but will the repeatedly uneven score hurt my chances? Should I even bother sending in my application to other MD schools such as Oakland, VCU, new schools, etc next year?

Thanks for your help and advice!

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for all DO schools with your stats so apply to at least 6 and you should receive several interviews. For MD I suggest these schools:
Your state public schools
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Loma Linda
NOVA MD
any new schools that may open for 2019 (Kaiser, Seton Hall Roseman)
You do not need to retake the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a very similar MCAT (130 125 129 124 = 508) and received multiple interviews, including places with an average solidly above my MCAT score.

I vote no retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 506 with a 124 in Chem/Phys and received interviews and acceptances at DO schools. I do not think this will hold you back and I would not retake it.

Thanks for the reply guys! I greatly appreciate you taking the time to answer and thank you for the list Faha! My concern is that I applied to several of those schools and was rejected/haven't heard anything (so pretty much a rejection) in this cycle so I'm trying to decide how best to improve my application. If I don't retake, should I just send in my DO application and send in MD applications to the remaining schools on that list?

Thanks for the reply guys! I greatly appreciate you taking the time to answer and thank you for the list Faha! My concern is that I applied to several of those schools and was rejected/haven't heard anything (so pretty much a rejection) in this cycle so I'm trying to decide how best to improve my application. If I don't retake, should I just send in my DO application and send in MD applications to the remaining schools on that list?

I think your best course of action is to email the MD schools where you applied and ask why you did not receive an interview. If the reason is fixable, fix it and reapply to that school. If it isn’t, skip that school.

Along with Faha, I think you have a solid shot at most DO schools, but be aware that some (MSU and UNT, for example) select very harshly against OOS applicants including those with MD-caliber numbers.

Hi All,
So it looks like I will need to reapply for med school and I was hoping to get some advice.
My current break down is as follows:

Graduated 2016
Not URM

cGPA 3.81, sGPA 3.69
MCAT: 505 (122, 131, 126, 126), retake 508 (124, 129, 126, 129) ---> I Know. Chem/Phys destroyed me.

Clinical Experience: >3000 hours as a scribe (ED and ENT clinic)
Clinical Volunteering: ~100 hours of ED volunteering, ~400 hours Medical Brigade vounteering over the course of 4 years (leadership role)
Non clinical Volunteering: ~400 hours throughout various community service based organizations on campus (that I also held leadership roles in)
Research: 2 years of biochemical research (resulting in thesis and presentation though no publication)

Other EC:
-Began a health related organization at my university that has grown to become one of the largest orgs on campus and received federal funding for our events and activities.
-Semester of service learning studies in public health and development in South East Asia.
-D1 athlete
-Teaching Assistant
-Worked part time for most of undergrad

I didn't apply to too many schools this year for financial reasons (I tried to be reasonable about which schools I chose).

-State school
-SLU
-MCW
-University of Vermont
-Drexel
-University of Arizona Tuscon
-Tulane
-GW
-Rosalind Franklin
-Miami (reach but really interested in their Global Health and MPH program)

I did not apply to DO schools this cycle because I did not have a physician letter (I have recently secured a DO and an MD letter).

I know that my MCAT is one of the biggest holes in my application (mostly the chem/phys section). My question is whether I should bother retaking it. I know that my score is above average at most DO schools but will the repeatedly uneven score hurt my chances? Should I even bother sending in my application to other MD schools such as Oakland, VCU, new schools, etc next year?

Thanks for your help and advice!
Here's a more realistic list:
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
EVMS
Rosy Franklin
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
WVU
Rush
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Albany
NYMC
VCU
Tulane
U VM
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Netter
Gtown
GWU
Your state school(s).

Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Nova has had declining COMLEX I pass rates for the past 4 years, so they are of concern. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Don't retake.

I think you have a fairly competitive application overall.

Apply where you want to live and be realistic (state schools and nearby states). Some of the school that people suggest for lower MCAT scores are so overwhelmed with applications that your chances are lowered due to sheer volume of applications. Your best chance is your own state probably but if you have the money then apply broadly, who knows. There's no sure thing with these things.

I vote no need to retake. Schools like GW, Georgetown, and Drexel that receive more applications than other medical schools can put a greater emphasis on fit. When filling out the secondaries, do your research on the school/their mission, and tailor them to show that you have the qualities they want.

I vote no need to retake. Schools like GW, Georgetown, and Drexel that receive more applications than other medical schools can put a greater emphasis on fit. When filling out the secondaries, do your research on the school/their mission, and tailor them to show that you have the qualities they want.
Did you apply to NOVA?

Here's a more realistic list:
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
EVMS
Rosy Franklin
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
WVU
Rush
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Albany
NYMC
VCU
Tulane
U VM
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Netter
Gtown
GWU
Your state school(s).

Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Nova has had declining COMLEX I pass rates for the past 4 years, so they are of concern. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Thanks for the advice and the list. I will look at these schools for next year.

Don't retake.

I think you have a fairly competitive application overall.

Apply where you want to live and be realistic (state schools and nearby states). Some of the school that people suggest for lower MCAT scores are so overwhelmed with applications that your chances are lowered due to sheer volume of applications. Your best chance is your own state probably but if you have the money then apply broadly, who knows. There's no sure thing with these things.

Thanks! I think overall I am an "OK" applicant so I am just trying to figure out how to make myself more memorable for adcoms. I tried to be realistic about the schools but still had no luck (including at my state school) so I'm trying to take it as a learning experience to find how to be better for next year. I would love to go in state but I live in a state (not to get too specific but I'm sure it's not hard to figure out) with only one state sponsored school and am surrounded by states that either have extreme instate preference or no medical school at all... Go figure. Haha. My financial situation is a little better than last year so I may give a few of them a try and see how it goes though!

Did you apply to NOVA?

I did actually! I completed the secondary kind of late as I didn't hear about the program until recently though. Hoping for the best but planning for the worst so setting up to apply for next year.

LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

LUCOM is doing good. Doesn't have an established track record yet but in 4-5 years i think people will reconsider their preconceived notions about LU. So OP, put it on your list, interview, and see how you like it. With your stats you would def get an interview.

MSUCOM should get no grief from the Nassar crap. They are still a great school with good local and regional connections. Don't drop it from your list due to the crimes of a sicko!

LUCOM is doing good. Doesn't have an established track record yet but in 4-5 years i think people will reconsider their preconceived notions about LU. So OP, put it on your list, interview, and see how you like it. With your stats you would def get an interview.!
Go read thier student handbook first, and note the list of "don'ts."

Then look up the politics of its founders and present administration.

Go read thier student handbook first, and note the list of "don'ts."

Then look up the politics of its founders and present administration.

I go there, i know. What's written and what is reality are two different things. I can't argue with the controversies of the parent institution. But it is not a bad COM because of the ideologies of a few. Similar to MSUCOM's Nassar. I would just ask anyone applying, go interview, then make educated statements about the school.

I go there, i know. What's written and what is reality are two different things. I can't argue with the controversies of the parent institution. But it is not a bad COM because of the ideologies of a few. Similar to MSUCOM's Nassar. I would just ask anyone applying, go interview, then make educated statements about the school.

Thanks for the advice. Just from what I superficially know about the school and the area (I have a friend who studies nearby), I would be hesitant to apply as a member of the LGBT community. As a student there, how accepting overall would you say the school/area is?

Thanks for the advice. Just from what I superficially know about the school and the area (I have a friend who studies nearby), I would be hesitant to apply as a member of the LGBT community. As a student there, how accepting overall would you say the school/area is?
If you even feel strongly about those causes let alone are a member of the LGBT community, I'd run about as far away as possible from Liberty

Liberty University deletes section on gays from psychology textbook

Liberty University Denies Tuition Discounts to LGBT Military Spouses

Liberty and Bob Jones Universities may run afoul of Obama Title IX protections for LGBT students

The medical school, very accepting. The undergrad campus, honestly no clue.

I don't interact much with the people of the area. Overall downtown Lynchburg leans left and is comparative to any small college town. The rest of the area is very conservative.