Retake B or B+ in General Chemistry to Prep for Organic Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to finish up my first year of post-bac in the next few weeks and it looks like my grades for the year will end up:

Fall Semester
-Gen Chem 1: B+
-Gen Biology 1: A-

Spring Semester
-Gen Chem 2: B+
-Gen Biology 2: A+/A

This would roughly put me at a 3.65 for the year. My question is whether or not it is worth retaking either semester of general chemistry both to go for a higher grade (and show mastery) and to prepare for organic chemistry. My concern is if I am getting a B+ in General Chemistry, would organic chemistry even be possible? I've been struggling with the computational part and some of the conceptual bits.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see a need to retake either; you're right at the cusp of an A, so in terms of "mastery" there's really no difference. Also, would your school even allow you to retake them since you have a passing grade?

Orgo 1 is difficult to a degree, but not what people make it out to be. It's mostly naming chains, identifying functional groups and some mechanisms.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm about to finish up my first year of post-bac in the next few weeks and it looks like my grades for the year will end up:

Fall Semester

Spring Semester

This would roughly put me at a 3.65 for the year. My question is whether or not it is worth retaking either semester of general chemistry both to go for a higher grade (and show mastery) and to prepare for organic chemistry. My concern is if I am getting a B+ in General Chemistry, would organic chemistry even be possible? I've been struggling with the computational part and some of the conceptual bits.

The skillset for gen chem to me seems different than the skillset for orgo, and there wasn't a ton of information that overlapped. You'll be fine to move ahead without re-taking gen chem. Some adcoms (once you apply) may actually think it's weird if you did retake a B+

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Orgo is a puzzle. What dances with what, what will move a dancing partner faster in a direction and create a different dancing partner. It's just a giant puzzle.

Figure out the pieces (electron movement, which atom wants which one more than another) and orgo is easy. Don't let people buffalo you into thinking it's a killer; it's not. It's just something people are not used to taking, and forces one to think differently (kind of like physics).

Do the homework suggested at least once. Practice with a molecule set. You'll be fine.

Thank you all for the replies. Its reassuring that organic chemistry does not totally rely on general chemistry. I'll focus on finishing up general chemistry (hopefully learn from my most recent mistakes) and prep for organic chemistry.

Retaking a B? Outright stupid.

Fall Semester

Spring Semester

for me Organic chemistry was wayyyyyy easier than gen chem. Probably because I found figuring out puzzles to be way more enjoyable than stoichiometry.

I don't think B+ is that bad. Still, if you insist on taking just for the sake of nice transcripts, then I'd say take Orgo 1 now so you can prep MCAT on schedule, then once Orgo 2 is completed, you can take upper level non-organic chemistry classes like Inorganic Chem or Physical Chem.

I don't think B+ is that bad. Still, if you insist on taking just for the sake of nice transcripts, then I'd say take Orgo 1 now so you can prep MCAT on schedule, then once Orgo 2 is completed, you can take upper level non-organic chemistry classes like Inorganic Chem or Physical Chem.
Unless you're a chem major there is ZERO reason to take Inorganic or Pchem... or Analytical Chem or Experimental Chem for that matter...

... unless you really like chem in which case why aren't you a chem major?

BTW I hold chem majors in the same regard as math majors and BDSM aficionados. I respect it. I don't understand it, but I respect it.

Reactions: 2 users
Retaking for knowledge for O chem would be pointless. G chem and O chem are totally different beasts. I found G chem harder actually. O chem was a relief, ALTHOUGH it was much more work. I've heard that taking upper division science course would be better than retaking low div Bs.

Fall Semester

Spring Semester

Question

I received a B/C in Organic Chemistry 1 Lec/Lab and a C/C in Organic Chemistry II Lec/Lab 3 years ago. I am now planning on beginning my post-bac this summer. Should I self study for Organic Chem I in the summer to be prepared for Organic Chem II in the fall or should I retake Organic Chemistry I?

Fall Semester

Spring Semester

I found much of what I learned in Gen Chem, other than the basics, really wasn't needed that heavily in Ochem.

Retaking a B+ is a waste of time that could be spent elsewhere.

Check out www.crackochem.com the review covers mostly everything you need to know from gen chem for OChem and it's awesome for Ochem itself.

@ DrMikeP

Was your post directed at me or the op? I need advice.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the responses. When I met with a pre-med advisor in the Fall, she stated that as an older post-bac student who already has a degree, I would have to make A's in all of my courses because anything less than that is "unacceptable". While my goal is an A in every class, adjusting to a science/math heavy courses hasn't been as smooth as I would've liked. Its good to hear that a B+ isn't the "kiss of death" and that my post-bac isn't sunk.

Thank you all for the responses. When I met with a pre-med advisor in the Fall, she stated that as an older post-bac student who already has a degree, I would have to make A's in all of my courses because anything less than that is "unacceptable". While my goal is an A in every class, adjusting to a science/math heavy courses hasn't been as smooth as I would've liked. Its good to hear that a B+ isn't the "kiss of death" and that my post-bac isn't sunk.
Premed advisors often have no clue so they repeat things with no basis.

I made B+, Bs in ochem and made it. Cs make it harder but not completely impossible, as some here have made it with them. Lots depend on the rest of the application.

That said, don't plan on Bs being good enough to cover up deficits elsewhere. Also Bs don't help your GPA get over a 3.25.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

OP...

Shotapp....A rule of thumb is retake all Cs if possible. If you can make an A in Org 2 you'll probably be OK without redoing the lab. Depends on how confident you feel about your org 1 skills. Do you have time planned in to take biochemistry? It's more important. Hope that helps. Also serious devote time to crackochem.

Last edited: