Retake basic coursework or SMP? Please advise...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TarHeel55

Dreaming of Blue Turtles
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just discovered this site… what an incredible resource. I really hope someone on here can advise me about my situation.

I’m finishing a doctoral degree in philosophy at Harvard… but I’ve decided a career in academic philosophy isn’t for me. I’m very unsure about what coursework to take/retake before applying to med schools.

I graduated from Rice in ’98. My only science courses were the basic premed curriculum, and I pulled some sucky grades (C in Orgo I, B-‘s in Physics I/II). Science GPA 3.3; overall GPA 3.75.

I see three options for retaking coursework:

(1) Retake entire premed curriculum in Harvard College. I can do this without paying additional tuition.

(2) Retake entire premed curriculum in Harvard Extension School. Will have to pay tuition.

(3) BU’s SMP. Taking actual medical school classes sounds a lot more rewarding to me than slogging through the premed curriculum again. But it’s been so long since I’ve studied science. And BU is much more costly than (1) or (2).

I can start (1) or (2) this fall, but the earliest I could start at BU is Jan '06.

What should I do? Is there any advantage to retaking science courses in Harvard College rather than HES, or vice versa? Do medical schools perceive courses in the College and HES differently? Would BU accept me after being out of science for so long? Could I handle the coursework at BU after reviewing bio and orgo on my own?

Thanks for your advice…

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I would probably just retake the pre-reqs. If you feel you are adequate in sciences and don't need a refresher, SKIP the prereqs and just take the MCAT and apply.

As long as you get some clinical experience to apply next year I think your grades are pretty solid. Esp with a phD.