Retake courses and GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Challenge

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Does anybody knows how the allopathic medical school admission calculate GPA if someone retake courses? I got C on Biology and got A recently. Do they average these grades or replace them? I would appreciate any incite. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

When you fill out your AMCAS (or AACOMAS) application, you must include every class you've taken, even classes taken more than once. Don't even think of trying to hide the lower grade. All grades will be used to compute your gpa, so both the C and the A will be used.

Don't worry; I got a C in orgo and was never asked about it in my interviews.

For other weary travellers out there: Avoid multiple retakes. Sometimes it's more worth your while to take a tougher class and do better than to retake a less difficult class. You have to make the call depending on your situation. The two grades are almost universally averaged and you usually receive course credit only once.

In your case, Challenge, it sounds like you did the right thing! Just be ready to discuss any 'holes' in your record during interviews. You never know, they just might ask...

------------------
"You're a daisy if you do."