retake gchem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkzebra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i got a B- in both gen chem I and gen chem II. my overall science gpa right now is a 3.52 - i received As in physics I and II, A- in Bio I and A in Bio II, and Bs in both Orgo I and Orgo II.

should i retake gen chem I and II?

i only ask because i have the opportunity to do so for virtually no cost because of my lab's tuition assistance program. i wonder if this would be beneficial to me?

otherwise, there are MANY other science courses here i could take to boost my overall science GPA. im wondering if it would be better to retake these courses or just take more higher level science courses and work really hard to get As in them.

my overall GPA is 3.71, non-science is 3.93. because of the gap there (science being 3.52), i would really like to bring it up over the next couple years before i apply.

any insight/opinions are appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I think your sGPA is fine. If you feel the need to take more classes, take biochem or upper level bio to increase your GPA. Retaking gen chem won't really get you anywhere, especially if you don't pull As.

Also, what are your ECs like? Maybe you should focus on doing some volunteer work or getting some research publications under your belt.

Last edited:
I agree, I've seen it posted here a lot too that it's better to take different courses than to retake, because it does the same for your GPA and you would run the risk of not improving your grade if you retook. However if you think retaking would help your MCAT then maybe go for it (with chem I doubt it though I bet brushing up from the book will be fine). I retook bio I, but it had been 6 years since I'd had it and I felt I needed to remember my bio I to do well in bio II. I studied my butt off though because I was so scared I would get a B again ;-).

Good job in the physics though!!

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you guys so much for the responses!

you said exactly as i thought, if i DID retake and didnt pull As, it wouldnt be too beneficial to me :) gchem II was one of the hardest classes i have ever taken!

as for extracurriculars, i do have a really good list...but they are all from undergrad (i just graduated this past may). right now, though, i am a research technician and plan to stay here for 2+ years, so hopefully that will work to my favor and ill get some good recommendations from it! how old is TOO old for extracurriculars? does anyone know? :confused: i know experience is NEVER too old, but perhaps there is a time where it is not considered as important?

how old is TOO old for extracurriculars? does anyone know? :confused: i know experience is NEVER too old, but perhaps there is a time where it is not considered as important?

You are never too old for extracurriculars. IMOA, I think that adcoms like to see you pursue your interests, and ECs are excellent to show them that you are serious, regardless of age. Even with years of experience in the medical field (EMS) I pursued different opportunities in order to show that i was well rounded. It seems that you are on the right track though! Good luck!