MD & DO Retake MCAT, 3.87 GPA, LOR, Sribe, Gap Years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apply?

• yay

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • nay

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

miakip

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am back after another Gap year. If you guys can help me construct a medschool list, that would be awesome.

Academic Profile:
GPA:3.8
Major: Biology

MCAT (red flag)poor
1000+ Clinical hours
Research Experience 1 year

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a chance for some DO schools so also consider applying to all these where your MCAT is not too far from the median:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
LUCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
Your strong GPA should help obtain some interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
You have a chance for some DO schools so also consider applying to all these where your MCAT is not too far from the median:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
LUCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
Your strong GPA should help obtain some interviews.

Thank you for your response, I will definitely look into these schools aswell.

I should stay clear from any other MDs right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I should also ask this question: Should I retake the MCAT?

Will this fit in with my timeline of applying this year? Will applying next month and doing the MCAT in August work out? I love scribing, but I want to do more. I want to go to medical school and learn more. I will work harder to get into Medschool and if taking the MCAT a 3rd time increases my chances, I will. However, I am definitely worried about the risks of taking it a 3rd time.

@Goro I respected your advice last time in retaking. I probably disappointed you in my retake. Do you have any advice for my application.

Last edited:
I should also ask this question: Should I retake the MCAT?

Will this fit in with my timeline of applying this year? Will applying next month and doing the MCAT in August work out? I love scribing, but I want to do more already. I will work harder to get into Medschool and if taking the MCAT a 3rd time increases my chances, I will. However, I am definitely worried about the risks of taking it a 3rd time.
A third weak score would be way worse than what you have now.
If you don't get into DO, you will have to consider it, though.

Updates:

I just spoke with COMP NW and PNWU admissions counselors.

COMP NW stated that they look at an overall score of 500 or at least 124 on each section. And they look at the most recent score. I broke down my score with her and she told me that she would look at my application because 499 is close to a 500.

PNWU stated that they don't have a set score requirement but be realistic (i.e if you have a low GPA and low MCAT). Again, they prefer scores at 500 and above. I mentioned my GPA and they recommended me to apply also.

Both stated that my GPA should balance out my poor MCAT.

A third weak score would be way worse than what you have now.
If you don't get into DO, you will have to consider it, though.

Some schools I called state that they don't have an exact minimum MCAT, because it is the new MCAT. Do you think a CARS of 122 will be an automatic screen out of my application?

Some schools I called state that they don't have an exact minimum MCAT, because it is the new MCAT. Do you think a CARS of 122 will be an automatic screen out of my application?
With a total of 499 (and an average of 498), a CARS of 122 would be a bitter pill indeed for MD.

With a total of 499 (and an average of 498), a CARS of 122 would be a bitter pill indeed for MD.

Have you heard about cut offs DO schools?

I guess my straight forward question is: Should I even try with these scores? I have the experience, enthusiasm, and support from physicians. I don't want to disappoint myself and others if I apply without a chance to begin with.

Have you heard about cut offs DO schools?

I guess my straight forward question is: Should I even try with these scores? I have the experience, enthusiasm, and support from physicians. I don't want to disappoint myself and others if I apply without a chance to begin with.
Yous should definitely apply to DO schools including the ones I listed. Your good GPA should help you obtain some interviews. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Those MCAT scores are lethal for MD schools and most DO schools. You may have some luck with the newest ones like NYITCOM-AR. I can't recommend LUCOM.

You're also in the danger zone for failing out of med school and/or failing Boards.

If you have test taking anxiety issues, those can be fixed.

AACOMAS issues a yearly report titled "Applicant and Matriculant Profile". The one for the class that matriculated in 2013 showed that there were 3,954 applicants with MCAT scores in the range of 20 to 24 (yours is equivalent to 24). Of those 3,954 applicants 1,270 matriculated to a DO school. That is almost 1/3 . Presumably the applicants with a 24 were more likely to be accepted than those with a 20 or 21. Also the accepted applicants more likely included those with high GPAs (greater than 3.7) as opposed to those with lower GPAs. So your chances for a DO school acceptance could be greater than 50% since you are in the high end for a MCAT score in the applicant group with MCAT scores of 20 to 24 and you have a high GPA. Just apply broadly to many schools in June and submit your secondaries by July. There may be new schools opening in Utah and Texas also so apply to those if they begin accepting applications later this year.

Those MCAT scores are lethal for MD schools and most DO schools. You may have some luck with the newest ones like NYITCOM-AR. I can't recommend LUCOM.

You're also in the danger zone for failing out of med school and/or failing Boards.

If you have test taking anxiety issues, those can be fixed.

Hi Goro,

Thank you for your response. Does this mean you are recommending me to give the MCAT another go? If so, I would plan on applying next month with my current score and re-taking it in September.
Anxiety may have been a factor. I scored well at home. Flying out to the testing location and sleeping in a hotel the night prior adds some anxiety. The MCAT is the only other standardized test I took besides my SATs. I didn't do great on my SATs but ended up graduating top of my Biology class with. Regardless, I need to get to the point where anxiety and any other factor is not an issue.

I want to communicate to Adcoms that I excel and belong in the classroom and being in Medschool will help me improve in standardize testing. I am the student that sits front and center and engages with the content. I also am quick to help others and organize study groups. However, if there is no way to communicate this besides in an interview and if my application gets screened out prior to an interview, I do believe a retake and another gap year (a total of 4 years out of college) will be in store.

Yes, but only when you're 100% ready.

Thank you for your response. Does this mean you are recommending me to give the MCAT another go? If so, I would plan on applying next month with my current score and re-taking it in September.

You're supposed to show us that you can handle high-stakes, career deciding exams PRIOR to med school. Med school is not the place for this type of training.

I want to communicate to Adcoms that I excel and belong in the classroom and being in Medschool will help me improve in standardize testing. I