Retake or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanted101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
gpa: 3.9 mcat: (10/07/11)=28. I averaged a 7.6 on VR in the FL's, and a 26.5 overall. (TX Resident). Please help, what should I do? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You beat your AAMC average by a point and a half if it was 26.5. Since it's impossible to get a 7.6 on a real VR test, your score is indicative of your ability.

Since you have an excellent GPA and arguably the #1 state in the USA for in-state admissions, I'd say take the 28 and see if anyone is interested. Apply DO as well, as 28 is a great score for DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
You beat your AAMC average by a point and a half if it was 26.5. Since it's impossible to get a 7.6 on a real VR test, your score is indicative of your ability.

Since you have an excellent GPA and arguably the #1 state in the USA for in-state admissions, I'd say take the 28 and see if anyone is interested. Apply DO as well, as 28 is a great score for DO schools.
Thanks very much for the feedback Doug, I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did you study for the MCAT? What were your weaknesses when you were studying? Did you feel truly prepared? Are you willing to completely restart studying and gear up for the new MCAT?

All relevant questions depending on if you care about going MD vs. DO, or if you're confident you will get into an IS Texas school.

How long did you study for the MCAT? What were your weaknesses when you were studying? Did you feel truly prepared? Are you willing to completely restart studying and gear up for the new MCAT?

All relevant questions depending on if you care about going MD vs. DO, or if you're confident you will get into an IS Texas school.
I spent 4-5 months studying and am highly satisfied with D.O. Thanks for the feedback!

Since you scored above your average, I would say absolutely not. One possible option that I'm not necessarily suggesting but just to think about.... is to casually study for the new MCAT and take a few practices for that and see how you are scoring. If you are scoring well, you could either take the MCAT in time to have it ready by June 1st (if possible) or submit with your 28 and let them know a new score is on the way. 28 is on the lower end for most MD schools but since your GPA is on the higher end...and if your ECs are also strong...it is definitely possible to land some MD interviews but it is also risky....but taking the new MCAT may be riskier. You'll kind of have to play it by ear but definitely do not retake the current MCAT....it's full anyways so unless you are already signed up..you couldn't retake it. Texas Resident is good news for you.....could land some in-state interviews. And yes....you are very competitive for any DO school....since you are highly satisfied with DO then what I just said is pointless haha.

Since you scored above your average, I would say absolutely not. One possible option that I'm not necessarily suggesting but just to think about.... is to casually study for the new MCAT and take a few practices for that and see how you are scoring. If you are scoring well, you could either take the MCAT in time to have it ready by June 1st (if possible) or submit with your 28 and let them know a new score is on the way. 28 is on the lower end for most MD schools but since your GPA is on the higher end...and if your ECs are also strong...it is definitely possible to land some MD interviews but it is also risky....but taking the new MCAT may be riskier. You'll kind of have to play it by ear but definitely do not retake the current MCAT....it's full anyways so unless you are already signed up..you couldn't retake it. Texas Resident is good news for you.....could land some in-state interviews. And yes....you are very competitive for any DO school....since you are highly satisfied with DO then what I just said is pointless haha.
Thanks a lot for the feedback man. I really appreciate it.

Just D.O. it, bro. Good luck!