Retaking courses that aren't pre-reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Professor Deej

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a D in financial accounting and a C+ in Health Care in the U.S. my freshman year. This was before I was pre-med. My schedule is already full and I would have to stay an extra semester to fit it in.

Are they worth retaking? Or should I just let it go since they aren't pre-reqs?

How important are non-prereqs to adcoms?

Members don't see this ad.

They're important. Your total GPA will be reported, and these classes will have a negative impact on it. Getting a D in a course also tends to be somewhat of a red flag to admissions committees. If these two flubs happened in the same semester, it's even worse.

They're important. Your total GPA will be reported, and these classes will have a negative impact on it. Getting a D in a course also tends to be somewhat of a red flag to admissions committees. If these two flubs happened in the same semester, it's even worse.

So I should retake them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely wouldn't retake a C+ and also wouldn't retake a D if you don't need the class since it's not a prereq. If you're planning on applying DO as well as MD then it is a different story (I'd retake the D but keep the C+ probably but I'd first calculate out the GPA difference)

I definitely wouldn't retake a C+ and also wouldn't retake a D if you don't need the class since it's not a prereq. If you're planning on applying DO as well as MD then it is a different story (I'd retake the D but keep the C+ probably but I'd first calculate out the GPA difference)

Yea thats probably the wisest thing to do. Mucho gracias!