Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Retaking courses that aren't pre-reqs?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Professor Deej, 04.13.12.

1. Professor Deej

Professor Deej Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I got a D in financial accounting and a C+ in Health Care in the U.S. my freshman year. This was before I was pre-med. My schedule is already full and I would have to stay an extra semester to fit it in.

Are they worth retaking? Or should I just let it go since they aren't pre-reqs?

How important are non-prereqs to adcoms?
  2. tantacles

tantacles Moderator Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    They're important. Your total GPA will be reported, and these classes will have a negative impact on it. Getting a D in a course also tends to be somewhat of a red flag to admissions committees. If these two flubs happened in the same semester, it's even worse.
  3. Professor Deej

Professor Deej Member

So I should retake them?
  4. sector9

sector9 'He's a loathsome, offensive brute' Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Medical Student
    SDN Published Author hSDN Alumni SDN 2+ Year Member
    I definitely wouldn't retake a C+ and also wouldn't retake a D if you don't need the class since it's not a prereq. If you're planning on applying DO as well as MD then it is a different story (I'd retake the D but keep the C+ probably but I'd first calculate out the GPA difference)
  5. Professor Deej

Professor Deej Member

Yea thats probably the wisest thing to do. Mucho gracias!

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal