Retaking Gen Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

California Bear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the last time I took gen chem was fall semester of my freshmen year. My school is different such that it condenses an entire year of gen chem into one semester. I didn't do so well in that class (got a C), and I had a difficult time studying for the MCAT last summer because of it. I'm currently a senior.

I was thinking of retaking the course this summer, but my advisor is discouraging me from doing so on the grounds that it doesn't look good to retake courses that I've already passed. However, I'm confident I'll do well on it the second time around, and that I'll actually learn the material well enough for the MCAT.

Would med schools care if I retook the course?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have higher division Chemistry courses where you did well, I think your advisor's words are sound because that means you've showed that you mastered the Gen Chem material since you can't really do well in those courses without that understanding. It can also be the beginning of an upward trend in performance, a desirable trait. Be ready to explain the C, yes, but don't retake it in that instance.

Additionally, using an MCAT prep course will help you prepare for the chemistry questions loads more than a chemistry course. Retaking the course just to prepare for the MCAT is using a lot more time you need to and it will do so ineffectively

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input!

I've gotten A's in all of my other pre-reqs and upper-divs. Although, I haven't taken any upper-div chem courses since I'm a bio major (did receive an A in biochem, though!).

I think the reason why I'm so enticed in retaking gen chem over summer is because I never really learned the material at all. I thought I learned it to some degree, but when the MCAT came around I realized I was spending the majority of my studying teaching myself. Needless to say, it didn't go so well.

Would med schools frown down upon this decision of retaking the course if I genuinely want to learn the material again well enough to do better on the MCAT?

I once saw an adcom on here reply to a similar question with "anyone can get straight A's if they take all their courses twice." I feel like an improvement wouldn't mean much to MD schools since you've already taken it once. I agree that auditing it, or maybe taking an open online course (such as MIT Open CourseWare) for content review may be a better option than a flat out retake.

Gen chem courses give you a lot of what you don't need for MCAT is what I'm finding. Do not retake, especially after following those C's up with several A's.

But a lot of schools require two semesters of chemistry, even if your school covers gen Chem material in one semester some medical schools won't consider this enough to fulfill their gen chem requirements. You mentioned your biochem, did you take a physical chemistry course?

Thanks for all the input, y'all!

Oddly enough, biochem is considered the second semester of gen chem here at UC Berkeley. Med schools are aware of this sequence so I don't think it should ever present an issue.

Last edited:
If you are confident that you'll get at least an A and that it would help you with the MCAT then maybe you should retake general chemistry (probably during the summer term). When you are interviewed by medical schools, you won't have to defend yourself on why you got a C. Getting the A will show your improvement and that it had nothing to do with you not understanding the material. This is jut my opinion. Best of luck to you!