Retaking PA school prerequisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justin Tomlin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore majoring in Biochemistry at NC State. I am planning on applying to Physician Assistant school and need advice on retaking Organic I. I made a B- in Orgo I last semester, but really feel shaky on it and am not sure I could do extremely well in Orgo 2 without retaking it. I would be retaking it, not to boost my GPA necessarily, but to master Organic Chemistry (for PA school and future Biochem courses).

I have a GPA of 3.38, but have excluded a C- in General Chemistry I and a D+ in Physics for Engineers 2. I retook General Chem I and received an A. I plan on retaking Physics sometime soon.

I don't want PA schools to see me as a student who has to take all my classes twice to be successful, but do want to have a good understanding of prerequisite courses before going to PA school. What should I do? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a sophomore majoring in Biochemistry at NC State. I am planning on applying to Physician Assistant school and need advice on retaking Organic I. I made a B- in Orgo I last semester, but really feel shaky on it and am not sure I could do extremely well in Orgo 2 without retaking it. I would be retaking it, not to boost my GPA necessarily, but to master Organic Chemistry (for PA school and future Biochem courses).

I have a GPA of 3.38, but have excluded a C- in General Chemistry I and a D+ in Physics for Engineers 2. I retook General Chem I and received an A. I plan on retaking Physics sometime soon.

I don't want PA schools to see me as a student who has to take all my classes twice to be successful, but do want to have a good understanding of prerequisite courses before going to PA school. What should I do? Thanks!
This part of SDN is for folks applying to med schools, not to PA school, so you are less likely to find the needed expertise to give the best advice. Look here instead: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/clinicians-rn-np-pa.113/

Thank you! I'm new here, so I'm still trying to figure the website out!

Members don't see this ad :)
My friends are doing PA. I think you should retake it because believe it or not, some have a specific grade requirement in several courses. My school's PA school requires a B in all the prereqs. I don't think you should worry about what PA schools think but rather than what is right for you because you wouldn't get anything done (I kept thinking oh med schools want this blah blah and went downhill). You have to go ham on these courses, get help, tutoring, etc. You can do it!! You have to explain yourself but we all have trouble and sometimes need it for a boost.

Thanks for replying! Unfortunately, a new problem has arose. I am unable to retake Orgo 1, because I made a B- and the cutoff for retakes at my school is just that. Do you think that means I have to retake it elsewhere? Does this just further limit my PA school options?

I think you should look at the PA schools you're applying to and considering. I also think you should contact these schools! They would be able to help and give you and answer! I think you should get permission from an advisor for retakes because PA school is a reasonable answer.

Okay, thanks for your reply! I will definitely contact the PA schools and figure out which individual school recommends!