Retaking the MCAT for the 3rd time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BAS04yall

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have taken the MCAT twice. Scored low thirties both time (30-32). I have never struggled with an academic thing this much in my life and it really was a reality check: I'm not as smart as I thought I was.

I want to take the MCAT one more time because I really want a great MCAT score. I want to prove it to myself above all else, not to mention that everyone I know has a 35+ score. Will the simple fact that I took the MCAT 3 times be a huge red flag??

Members don't see this ad.

no need to retake if you are in the 31+ range. Unless your GPA is atrocious.

However, your stated reason for a high score and the lack of posts makes me think you're trolling.

Not trolling at all. Just made an account because app cycle has almost arrived. And what's wrong with my stated reason? I simply want to be better.

I know that my scores are fine, but is retaking many times a stigma in and of itself?

Members don't see this ad :)
Retaking a competitive score (read: 31+) is an act of hubris. Focus on more meaningful activities that can bolster your application. If you want to retake, consider a practice exam, or wait for Step 1.

can I have one of your old scores?

...but really. I don't think there's a need to retake, but as long as your score improves drastically (3+) points, it shouldn't be too big of a deal. if it ends up the same or lower, that could be a problem.

If you aren't averaging a 35+ on practice tests, don't take it again. You're only allowing for your score to increase when, given your first two scores are tightly grouped, you could easily go down.

I would say, as far as adcoms see it, getting a third score in the 29-33 range would fall into the definition of insanity.

I have taken the MCAT twice. Scored low thirties both time (30-32). I have never struggled with an academic thing this much in my life and it really was a reality check: I'm not as smart as I thought I was.

I want to take the MCAT one more time because I really want a great MCAT score. I want to prove it to myself above all else, not to mention that everyone I know has a 35+ score. Will the simple fact that I took the MCAT 3 times be a huge red flag??
Re-taking good scores does not read especially well. What do you think we see as we look at that series of tests?
There are many fine schools that might interview you, as is. Apply. Be a doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah. It probably looks childish to be retaking the MCAT so many times...

Yeah. It probably looks childish to be retaking the MCAT so many times...

Well, no. Many people take it three times. Maybe you get a 6 in PS the first time and a 5 in VR the second. Some people pull it all together the third (or later) time. But you have a balanced, good score. Don't put your pride in front of your success!

Reactions: 2 users
Well, no. Many people take it three times. Maybe you get a 6 in PS the first time and a 5 in VR the second. Some people pull it all together the third (or later) time. But you have a balanced, good score. Don't put your pride in front of your success!

The last statement is so true. No one will care what your MCAT is after you get into medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah OP, you should really consider the other parts of your application! 30 and then a 32 is already an improvement of 2 points, which is pretty solid. If you have a balanced 32, it should be more than enough to get you into medical school. Perhaps not a top 10 or whatnot, but it really depends on what you want to do with your life ya know? If your dream is to go to Harvard Med, and your grades/ECs are top-notch, then maybe you should re-take it if your practice tests are around where you want them!

According to the AAMC Official Guide, <1% of applicants take the MCAT 3x+, but that doesn't mean that you can't. I'm considering re-taking my 30, but if my averages on AAMCs are not where I want them, I would not go through with the MCAT, possibly score lower, and jeopardize my chances of medical school all together.