retina surgery level of difficulty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyegal

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently struggling with phaco, and am considering other subspecialties of ophthalmology. I have an interest in retina but am fearful that I might have more difficulty with ppvs and buckles than phaco. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could comment on the level of difficulty of retina surgeries in comparison to phaco. My hands don't shake but they get tense or heavy handed. Have you heard of individuals doing retina fellowships but struggling with the surgical components?

Members don't see this ad.

I can assure you that if you are just starting to do phaco it will be difficult. Do not get discouraged...I clearly remember my first few phacos, and remember thinking I made a terrible mistake in my choice of specialty.
Be patient, pay attention to the things that are uncomfortable to you, and THINK about what you can do during your next case to make your surgery less of an ordeal.
With time things will get better, and remember not to define your success or failure as a resident by your surgical outcomes alone...sometimes things go bad when you're doing your best, and sometimes they go well despite your mishaps. Be persistent, and in time (measure in years) you will become more proficient and you will find the operating room to be a welcome break from the clinic