retroactive claims and payment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I dunno, I find the trolling kind of fun and the learned helplessness is a real nail biter for a mystery.

He reminds me of my borderline patient which i saw for the last time today. He is a fun and interesting character and adds some entertainment and comedic relief.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been paid by insurance retroactively, although that was outpatient and required SCA. Probably too onerous if you don't have any help. It seems like a bad deal for your hospital, since you have no incentive to discharge once the insurance stops paying for the care. It's bizarre that they would have a whole billing department available to manage payment for other services/staff, but couldn't help you out (I'll join the chorus that this model seems totally alien and archaic).

Please, everyone, let's all stop giving vistaril the attention he desires.

I think it's asking a lot to tell a forum of psychiatrists to turn a blind-eye to such intense and, let's face it, interesting psychopathology. Here's someone who creates such an impossible situation for themselves, then takes the time to try to convince others that THEY are out of touch with reality... Then caps it off with a seemingly random account of how he told-off the social worker that he doesn't want to work with the team. I mean, I've certainly read less interesting case studies

Reactions: 2 users
I think it's asking a lot to tell a forum of psychiatrists to turn a blind-eye to such intense and, let's face it, interesting psychopathology. Here's someone who creates such an impossible situation for themselves, then takes the time to try to convince others that THEY are out of touch with reality... Then caps it off with a seemingly random account of how he told-off the social worker that he doesn't want to work with the team. I mean, I've certainly read less interesting case studies
Sigh. You may have a point. I forgot to mention that non-sequitur of "on a related note to this discussion on how I'm going to work for free for months for no reason, here's an anecdote about how a social worker emailed me asking if I would do team rounds with her and I casually dismissed her." That was classic. Then there was the mention of how his schedule is going to be totally unpredictable because he anticipates random clinical duties near where he lives, despite the fact that he said his commute was going to be too long to have another job. I've got to admit, this is grade-A trollery.

I have seen the light. My mistake was taking vistaril posts seriously. For example, in his "work options" thread, in which he presented three terrible jobs and insisted they were his only options because he can't move, several posters simply replied "move" (whereupon he chastised them for not being able to read.) I thought that was cruel of them. No more. From now on, I'll join the chorus of those who would post "move."

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there are only three main possibilities to explain the posts and, honestly, it's kinda hard to tell what the answer is, and may be a mix of all of the below:

- He's making up or embellishing.
- He's thinks he's sticking it to everyone by going out of his way to get paid very little and work a ****ty job to show us all how right he is about the dire state of the psychiatry market.
- His personality, being anything like his online persona, if the social worker email is to be believed, is closing a lot of doors and preventing any nice windows from opening, something hard to do in psychiatry and a rather remarkable feat, really.

My guess is there's probably a fair amount of truth to all of the above. I'll have to post for anyone lurking or considering psychiatry that none of this rings true true at all from my experience currently working a number of different gigs and about to sign on at a place in another state that will have a total compensation package reasonably higher than $300k for 4 day work week and q8 weekend call.

Also, paying to be credentialed? Must be a regional thing as I've never heard of that. I'm credentialed at four places, none of which required a dime.

Bottom line: if you don't think you're valuable or bring anything to the table, there's always somebody out there willing to pay you less.

Also, paying to be credentialed? Must be a regional thing as I've never heard of that. I'm credentialed at four places, none of which required a dime.

many hospitals do charge a $200-$500 fee to get on staff. Last year I paid a hospital in Memphis somewhere in that range to get on staff.

I think the person talking about paying $3k was planning on paying someone to do the paperwork etc to get on insurance panels (not paying a hospital or insurance co 3k)

some insurance companies charge a small fee for credentialing (around $75). One insurance company I know of charged in the range of 1-1.5 k, but that was a unique circumstance.

Reactions: 1 user
Whenever people talk about their terrible options as a psychiatrist, there are two things that come into play.

One factor is geography. Some regions just have less jobs than others. This is typically not indicative of psychiatry as a field, and attempts to use this as some sort of cautionary tale is often misleading. If there are regions in which job opportunities for psychiatrists are poor and aren't also poor for many, most, or ALL fields, these should be viewed as pockets.

But another factor is the individual. Some folks complaining about lack of job prospects are just plain poor job candidates. I know graduates of what I would consider pretty good residency programs who complain about how hard it is to find a psych job. But often these individuals have deficits that limit their options. Some are argumentative or combative. Some are elitist, entitled, or snobby. Some are inarticulate, dishonest, or uncooperative. If you establish a bad reputation or come across as not a team player or a potential "problem" employee, people will not want to hire you if they have ANY other options. These people tend to have job options literally limited to places that have no choice but to take anyone.

I have not heard of people lacking good options for psych employment that didn't fall into one or both of these categories. Maybe they exist, but I have a hunch they are not common.

Last edited:
many hospitals do charge a $200-$500 fee to get on staff. Last year I paid a hospital in Memphis somewhere in that range to get on staff.
I was charged $400 for credentailling for staff privileges at a moonlighting gig. I don't know how common it is, but it definitely exists.

I think the person talking about paying $3k was planning on paying someone to do the paperwork etc to get on insurance panels (not paying a hospital or insurance co 3k)

some insurance companies charge a small fee for credentialing (around $75). One insurance company I know of charged in the range of 1-1.5 k, but that was a unique circumstance.

I was charged $400 for credentailling for staff privileges at a moonlighting gig. I don't know how common it is, but it definitely exists.

I feel better knowing this as I thought it was odd to pay an application fee for a hospital I am going to be bringing business to potentially. It was around 300ish dollars to get on staff at the hospital in the area where i will be practicing. I have yet to pay for any insurance company credentialing and after doing the entire process it really was not that bad. CAQH is 2-3 hrs of work roughly and then accepted by nearly everyone +- 1 or 2 forms. However, I'm still in process with several private ins. companies saying it takes 60-90 days.

I feel better knowing this as I thought it was odd to pay an application fee for a hospital I am going to be bringing business to potentially. It was around 300ish dollars to get on staff at the hospital in the area where i will be practicing. I have yet to pay for any insurance company credentialing and after doing the entire process it really was not that bad. CAQH is 2-3 hrs of work roughly and then accepted by nearly everyone +- 1 or 2 forms. However, I'm still in process with several private ins. companies saying it takes 60-90 days.

u r just getting out of residency, so things will be a little simpler for you than a doc like myself who has been in practice for over 10 years and has had multiple positions and has both a private practice and an employed position and does locums work, and actively practices in 3 different states and personally has 2 malpractice policies, with 2 others on him by other organizations. Let us know when you successfully get $ from the insurance companies. Getting credentialed is one thing, but getting a check (ideally EFT) is the end goal and often requires additional paperwork- but it is reasonable for you to try to do this on your own and will be a valuable learning experience

I feel Vistaril wants to come off as the Job of psychiatry but my impression is he is more the Court Jester of the profession