Reusing application photo from past cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stethonope

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this allowed?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. They just want to know generally what you look like. As long as your appearance hasn't drastically changed, this won't be a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
What should females wear in the photos? In mine, I'm just wearing a t-shirt, but should I wear something more professional?

What should females wear in the photos? In mine, I'm just wearing a t-shirt, but should I wear something more professional?

.... You are applying to professional school. You should be wearing business professional clothes in the picture that admissions committee will use of their very first impression of you.

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 1 users
Is it allowed, yes.
Send a new one if you were not smiling or wearing a tie.
It's not worth wondering about.

Hey gyngyn, would you mind elaborating on the tie part? I'm just a little confused because on the other thread, you said it was just a head shot so it doesnt matter what you're wearing. Thanks!

Hey gyngyn, would you mind elaborating on the tie part? I'm just a little confused because on the other thread, you said it was just a head shot so it doesnt matter what you're wearing. Thanks!

Professional ID photos are generally head and shoulders, which would show whether or not you're wearing a tie.

Reactions: 1 users
A head shot includes the neck and the top of the shoulders.

Members don't see this ad :)
A head shot includes the neck and the top of the shoulders.
Is a suit necessary? Or is shirt + tie fine?

Mostly asking because where I am right now, I don't have a suit available

Is a suit necessary? Or is shirt + tie fine?

Mostly asking because where I am right now, I don't have a suit available
A shirt and tie will still be better than half the photos we see.

Last edited by a moderator:
so are business casual clothes okay for women? like a nice blouse? or should i put on a jacket and pose?

Women are held to the same standards as men. Don't pose, smile.

haha, bad use of the word pose my b. since there is no tie equivalent for women i'll just put on a jacket for the photo thanks!

Lol gyngyn will probably disapprove, but I threw on a button-down oxford over a sports bra and running shorts, stepped outside and had the picture taken against a neutral background. It looks professional enough and one will ever know I went back to looking like a scrub 5 seconds later.

Thank god I didn't have to put an outfit together
TONDq.gif

I can't recommend this.
I can see that. But would it negatively affect my chances for an interview/acceptance? I mean it's not like there is hair in my eyes or anything, nor is it messy. It's clean and washed/combed. Anything particularly wrong with having longer hair as a guy?

Well apparently I am an idiot..I didn't even think to wear something professional in the picture. It's a headshot but I'm just wearing a white and grey t-shirt. How detrimental will this be to the secondaries I've already submitted?

I can see that. But would it negatively affect my chances for an interview/acceptance? I mean it's not like there is hair in my eyes or anything, nor is it messy. It's clean and washed/combed. Anything particularly wrong with having longer hair as a guy?
Well apparently I am an idiot..I didn't even think to wear something professional in the picture. It's a headshot but I'm just wearing a white and grey t-shirt. How detrimental will this be to the secondaries I've already submitted?
There is no rule against either of these choices.
If this is exactly how you want to look, there is no reason for me to talk you out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no rule against either of these choices.
When you have spent years preparing for this application, it does seem odd to commit so little thought with how you present yourself, though.

Good to know, I'll take a different one for any remaining secondaries. Thank you.

Women are held to the same standards as men. Don't pose, smile.
All of these posts with specifics are freaking me out. The photo I've been sending out was a headshot taken by a professional photographer at a formal event I attended in which I was wearing a plain black dress with a very conservative neckline. I am not in a position that I would consider "posed," but my head is tilted slightly to the side as photographers often tell you to do. So this picture is not something I took specifically for this, but I figured that I looked nice and professional, and I just used it. Is this going to come off as being too much (like the fact that it was professionally taken and everything)?

All of these posts with specifics are freaking me out. The photo I've been sending out was a headshot taken by a professional photographer at a formal event I attended in which I was wearing a plain black dress with a very conservative neckline. I am not in a position that I would consider "posed," but my head is tilted slightly to the side as photographers often tell you to do. So this picture is not something I took specifically for this, but I figured that I looked nice and professional, and I just used it. Is this going to come off as being too much (like the fact that it was professionally taken and everything)?
This will be fine.
Way better than a sloppy selfie while driving (of which there are many).

Some of this stuff is common sense people. You've spent the last 3+ years getting yourself ready to apply to medical school. Endless nights studying for the MCAT, countless volunteer hours, stressing over a personal statement, etc.

Now the final step is a nice looking picture and you can't be bothered to get a hair cut or to wear a business shirt or to smile? This is such an EASY thing to accomplish. Why wouldn't you do this in a heart beat? I just don't get it. SMH