Rheumatology Fellowship Application Thread: '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks bonadoc, but then what is on May 20th? - It says it is the "quota change deadline" -
I am not ready with my list - and would love more time than next week!

Quota change is for the programs to submit how many spots they have. An example would be Case which started the season with 3 spots then gave 2 to internal candidates. They changed their quota to 1 spot. I would keep an eye on your programs though to see if they fill spots outside the match.
Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at 11 places, likely ranking 9 to 10 programs. Really liked UCSF and Brigham. Anyone have any thoughts to share about these two programs? Also, did anyone like U Penn?

You can see the quota on NRMP website, and I recommend everyone checking the quotas before deciding on the rank list.

I interviewed at 11 places, likely ranking 9 to 10 programs. Really liked UCSF and Brigham. Anyone have any thoughts to share about these two programs? Also, did anyone like U Penn?

You can see the quota on NRMP website, and I recommend everyone checking the quotas before deciding on the rank list.

I agree as you might rank a program that suddenly doesn't have a spot! I didn't interview at any of those programs, so can't help.

Members don't see this ad :)
i interviewed at UCSF and i really liked it also. Did not interview at UPenn

i interviewed at UCSF and i really liked it also. Did not interview at UPenn

Anyone want to list their top choices for the match? I am game if everyone else is

i'll bite.....my first choice was UCSF. anyone else wanna share?

great choice. i really liked UNC when interviewed too. but b/c of geographical restrictions, i had to drop it from my rank list.

got my first choice!

congratulations everyone!

are there any unfilled programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
got my first choice!

congratulations everyone!

are there any unfilled programs?

Did the same. First choice, UNC!!!! Congrats to everyone who matched!

Hey guys, im a current 3rd year med sudent, im really interested in rheumatology, but i cant seem to find a hopsital to do an elective in.

I'm a foreign medical student, and i'm rotating through NYC area, if you have any suggestions please let me know!

also, is it hard for FMG's to get a fellowship in this field? especially if you do your Internal residency at a not so competitive spot?

sorry I know that match day was last month but I have been so busy, and in all of the excitment I forgot to post...I matched also at my first spot Johns Hopkins! where did everyone else match?, anyone going to Hopkins with me:D

I want to know what are minimal requirements to match in a rheumatology fellowship? Do you need to have rheumatogist letter of recommendation or any research ?does failed attempt in any usmle exam 1,2or 3 lower your chances for matching in rheumatology?

As for your question chandi,

I am new to the field but we definitely need one and preferably two letters from the rheumatologists. a faild attempt would definitely not make you better. Any research whether general or rheum related will give you something to talk about, if nohing else.

Would anyone know what programs sponsor H1B visa for rheum fellowship?
What is the thing about combined rheum/fellowship programs.

Last edited:
Hi just joined.... Have any of u done research? How important is it?

Research is important and helpful but not absolutely needed. It would come in handy if u are someone on a visa and or non AMG. All the specailities are getting competitive and so is Rheum..... however its still possible and not too hard to get.
I would definitely work and get some good letters from a renowned Rheuamtologist. U should opt for an outside elective if ur program doesnt have a good Rheumatologist to work with. Always rememeber "Fellowship is through contacts " Thats what I have learned so far.

Hi Guys,

I am applying this year. My LORs are not yet in ERAS.

What do you think is better, to go ahead and apply on Dec 1st with an incomplete application or wait to have my LORs in ERAS and apply late?

Appreciate any help:)

I have the same question have 2 LOR's not in yet, not sure if I should submit apllication on the 1st or to wait untill it's complete. Does anyone know??

Hey Rheumitis, I think I am going to wait until I have a complete application.

Anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks

How do we know when ERAS received our LORs, MSPE, Transcript and when they are actually uploaded?

Thanks again

ok, still asking around not sure what to do if anyone has any advice please share....

E Moray you can check if your LOR's have been recieved by ERAS after logging in go to the documents tab then click on EFDO online services then bottom right click on verify receipt of my documents and that will show you all the one's that have been recieved by ERAS. To see if your LOR's have been scanned yet go go to ADTS login which is on the main ERAS page right under myERAS login and log in using the same log on info and click on documents that will show you all the docs that are in the post office. You won't see your MSPE and other stuff u uploaded that's already scanned. Hope that helps

i just had my application in for rheumatology. haven't heard from any yet:(. few of them have not donloaded it yet also:(

Rheumitis,

thank you for your extensive explanation, I really appreciate it:)

Have any of you heard from any programs yet? Is it too early?:confused:

just some acknowledgements. no interview yet. anxiously waiting!:confused:

Does anyone know if prematches are offered at all in Rheumatology fellowships?

I dont think so, I have never heard of anyone getting a prematch for fellowship...

Have you guys heard from any programs yet?, I haven't...

no interviews yet. no rejections too, which is good.

me either! but i heard they start sending out interviews later than other ( ie nephro), so hopefully by mid jan :xf:

when i appleid last year, i had 2 invites in decemeber. the majority were during the first 2 weeks of jan. goodluck everyone.

Hi everyone. I'm also applying this year... good luck to all :)

haven't heard anything yet..... anyone else hear something? Hope it picks up....good luck everyone

tufts medical center. anybody know about this program? they dont have anything listed regarding the fellowship program in their website. please let me know regarding the hospital and pregram,anybody please

Hi Guys, lets talk about rheumatology interviews. it will help everyone to keep a track on interview process. i will start with, no interviews so far rejection from uni wisconsin,scripps clinic

Hi guys!

I'm new to SDN and am applying for rheum this year too. So far, I've received invites from Mt. Sinai and Scripps Clinic. No rejections though. Do you think programs have been kind of slow in handing out interviews this year? Going back, it seems like applicants from past years have heard back way sooner. Any news on any other NY or CA programs?

I haven't heard from any of the CA programs. Some of them had just downloaded my application though, and I had it in first week of December.

Hi Everyone,
did anyone hear anything from wake forest baptist????