Riots across the country

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at history, rioting and looting lead people to move to the right of the political spectrum.

Members don't see this ad.

If you look at history, rioting and looting lead people to move to the right of the political spectrum.
Well yeah, the government does a lot of harm.

No business also means no tax and no jobs. Expect high unemployment, lack of resources for education, healthcare for years to come.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Historically, businesses leave and don't come back once they are looted and run over. This type of rioting is very counter-productive for black communities or any communities in general.

I would be interested in hearing more about this. Seems like the whole history of civil rights would disagree with this statement. Did we get more conservative after the Boston Tea Party? Or the Stonewall Riots?

I would be interested in hearing more about this. Seems like the whole history of civil rights would disagree with this statement. Did we get more conservative after the Boston Tea Party? Or the Stonewall Riots?

Here it is:

What did the LA riot in 1992 accomplished? If anything, it caused more gentrification. There was a push for prop 187, tough on crime laws, no race consideration for university admissions.

Depends.

I got a French Revolution and an Arab Spring Tunisia over here.

True but then there's also a worst case scenario (Syria). In the case of Syria though, the reason for the rebellion was that Assad refused to allow Saudi's pipeline to go through and instead opted for an Iranian pipeline. Saudi funds dissidents and rebel groups factored with a heavy handed response on protests by Assad = civil war.

• Sad
Here it is:

What did the LA riot in 1992 accomplished? If anything, it caused more gentrification. There was a push for prop 187, tough on crime laws, no race consideration for university admissions.

Why are we more concerned about economic damage caused by rioting and looting versus police occasionally killing innocent people? The latter part should NEVER happen.

The Rodney King officers only got 30 months in prison. I know weed dealers who have gotten more time just for possession of a few pounds of weed.

The Amadou Diallo cops got acquitted.

The Sean Bell cops were fired but acquitted after trial and the family got a settlement from the city.

The Eric Garner cop was never tried.

George Zimmerman was found not guilty.

It took 2 months to arrest the killers of Arbery.

The other 3 Floyd cops have not been arrested yet.

The Sandra Bland cops were not punished.

Tamir Rice cops were not tried but family got a settlement.

The Philando Castile cop was found not guilty.

The Breonna Taylor cops still have not been arrested. The mofos executed a no knock search warrant on the wrong house, on top of that wearing plainclothes, did not announce themselves as police. When the man inside the house legally shot at them, they shot back and killed Breonna Taylor who was sleeping. To add insult to injury, the man who shot at them was charged with attempted murder. I don't know about the rest of you, but if I'm sleeping in my house and I hear my door get kicked in, and I don't see badges, warrants, or announcements about who they are, I'm opening fire.

Why is it so hard to punish cops for wrongful deaths? It's like they care more about the safety of the cop than they do about lives of ordinary citizens. Why are cops allowed to use deadly force simply when they perceive a threat? Why do cops have a less stringent rules of engagement than the military? In the military, you have to be shot at first and then get approval from HQ to return fire.

Last edited:
Why are we more concerned about economic damage caused by rioting and looting versus police occasionally killing innocent people? The latter part should NEVER happen.

The Rodney King officers only got 30 months in prison. I know weed dealers who have gotten more time just for possession of a few pounds of weed.

The Sean Bell cops were fired but acquitted after trial and the family got a settlement from the city.

The Breonna Taylor cops still have not been arrested. The mofos executed a no knock search warrant on the wrong house, on top of that wearing plainclothes, did not announce themselves as police. When the man inside the house legally shot at them, they shot back and killed Breonna Taylor who was sleeping. To add insult to injury, the man who shot at them was charged with attempted murder. I don't know about the rest of you, but if I'm sleeping in my house and I hear my door get kicked in, and I don't see badges, warrants, or announcements about who they are, I'm opening fire.

NYC is mainly a service economy. If businesses are closed and there is no tourists then there is no job and no tax money. NYC can’t just print money. Therefore, they need to cut education, healthcare, food bank, etc. Who is affected when these programs are cut? Think with your head.

Let me just say that as a former military policeman as well as an infantryman you absolutely do NOT have to wait to be fired upon and then wait for "HQ approval" to return fire. That is just some silly TV show bullcrap. Sometimes ROE dictates something similar, but in general, you do not have to wait for either of those. Diving a little further into police work, I can say that our rules as MPs were more stringent than our civilian counterparts. We had to follow very strict escalation of force SOPs when confronting suspects. For example, if we were simply trying to detain someone peacefully, we did so without any sort of weapon. If someone was combative, we one-upped them by using a PR-24 or ASP. If someone had a weapon, we drew our weapon.

It was only when someone raised a weapon to aim at us, or to prevent serious/mortal harm to ourselves or another person were we authorized to use deadly force. We constantly saw civilian cops go immediately to drawing their weapons.

Reactions: 1 users
Let me just say that as a former military policeman as well as an infantryman you absolutely do NOT have to wait to be fired upon and then wait for "HQ approval" to return fire.

Some people lack common sense.

Members don't see this ad :)

How about this black police captain who was killed by looters last night?

Another senseless murder. Looting, burning, killing...what does it solve?

Looters don’t care about politics. They are there just to loot and cause mayhem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Driving through the mayhem last night, I noticed that the main protesters would march and move up the blocks peacefully. Meanwhile there were 100-200 stragglers who didn't follow the procession who would proceed to burn down places, loot, break into buildings, etc. A lot of them have nothing to do with the protest and are just taking advantage of the situation.

Driving through the mayhem last night, I noticed that the main protesters would march and move up the blocks peacefully. Meanwhile there were 100-200 stragglers who didn't follow the procession who would proceed to burn down places, loot, break into buildings, etc. A lot of them have nothing to do with the protest and are just taking advantage of the situation.

You are such a freedom fighter...why didn’t you try to stop them? If not you then who?

So protesting is quietly spreading the virus around as well as allows a few individuals to take advantage and riot. What is protesting accomplishing exactly?

So protesting is quietly spreading the virus around as well as allows a few individuals to take advantage and riot. What is protesting accomplishing exactly?

You don't agree with civil disobedience and market disruption? If you were the one who was upset about police actions, how would you recommend they go about getting these issues fixed?

Someone tried doing it peacefully by kneeling and people got upset and called it disrespectful.

This is nothing new. These problems with the police stopping minority males more often have been going on for decades. Protests have been happening for decades. Why aren't the police changing their tactics? Why aren't the politicians ordering the police to change their tactics? If you keep ignoring the issue and kicking the can down the road, you're just adding fuel for the eventual explosion.

Example: The ludicrous "stop, question, and frisk" program that the NYPD was doing. They were stopping minority males more than anyone else when it was supposed to be "random". The TSA "random" screenings were stopping Arab/Muslim looking men more than anyone else. They were bull**** tactics based on racial and religious profiling that needed to end but sadly still go on today.

I don't care if most terrorists are Muslim men or if most criminals are minority men, that doesn't give the government the right to use that to target people who fit that description for random stops.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Where were the police and the riot units when the open carry people were walking into state government buildings or protesting the lockdown?

You know what, maybe the leftist protesters should start open carrying. The police are a lot more polite when they face armed opposition.

The title might be misleading, apparently he's not an FBI agent but he's a paramedic in that county where this happened.

Don't say, "why didn't he just provide identification instead of being a smartass and make their jobs easier". How about they don't use racial profiling?

Why is it so hard to punish cops for wrongful deaths? It's like they care more about the safety of the cop than they do about lives of ordinary citizens. Why are cops allowed to use deadly force simply when they perceive a threat? Why do cops have a less stringent rules of engagement than the military? In the military, you have to be shot at first and then get approval from HQ to return fire.

What about OJ Simpson?

They need to do a better job explaining to the person what they are doing. The execution of these stops is complete bull**** in a lot of jurisdictions. No politeness. "No excuse me sir, could you please stop, you fit the description of a suspect we're looking for, could you please provide ID", it's more like "YO, YOU STOP RIGHT THERE. KEEP YOUR HANDS OUT OF YOUR POCKETS. WHERE'S YOUR ID?" Meanwhile the guy is like "what did you stop me for? what's the problem? I'm not doing **** until you tell me what's going on. Don't grab me. Next thing you know they are accusing you of resisting arrest and a beat down ensues. This sort of attitude the cops bring, they only tend to bring it when it's a minority male.

There is a process in place where if they stopped someone and it turned out that they weren't who they are looking for, they have to apologize and provide a business card to submit a complaint, but a lot of times especially in urban neighborhoods in high-crime areas, the cops aren't professional about it. Instead of saying "sorry we stopped you, here's a business card if you would like to file a complaint" it ends up being getting uncuffed and the cops drive off.

Like it's sad that the ACLU has to make a video like this to explain to people about interactions with the police. Like its natural instinct for someone to ask why they are being stopped? what have they done wrong? The police officer should be providing information about the stop before demanding identification.

The police need to better understand about fight, flight, freeze response. I've had a cop pull a gun on me at the beginning of a traffic stop. I was driving around, I got pulled over, cop gets out of his car and has his gun drawn and is hiding behind the door. Next thing I hear the cop on the radio saying something that sounds blurred so I don't understand it. For me, seeing a gun drawn at me triggered a freeze response where I couldn't really process what was going on. I hear some more blurred talking, then eventually after like 20-30 seconds, I hear "driver, step out of car, place your hands behind your head and step backwards towards me".

When I walk back, he asks me for my ID which I provide and he asks me why I didn't step out the first time he was talking, I tell him I didn't understand what he was saying until the 4th time he asked. What was the reason I got stopped? Apparently, my car matched the description of a fleeing suspect's car.

I’ve had guns drawn on me twice by cops, it’s unnerving. Once was for my vehicle not looking like it belonged in a drug neighborhood (i was volunteering in a clinic there and leaving after dark). I had always been taugh hands open in obnoxiously full view and movements announced/slow which probably helped me not get shot

but other than the guns drawn, my cops were speaking calmy, they were just very very cautious

• Wow

Not all of those are good examples of your point but I share your disdain for no knock warrants and think every cop should be criminally charged if they run in the wrong house from the warrant because every team member should be damn sure which house they enter

Reactions: 3 users
What about OJ Simpson? He was arrested and he beat the case. It's not what you know, it's what you can prove in court.
lmao, come on man. Come on man. Whose next? R. Kelly?

Example: The ludicrous "stop, question, and frisk" program that the NYPD was doing. They were stopping minority males more than anyone else when it was supposed to be "random". The TSA "random" screenings were stopping Arab/Muslim looking men more than anyone else. They were bull**** tactics based on racial and religious profiling that needed to end but sadly still go on today.

I don't know about that, seemed like there were plenty of stories in the news about little children crying as they were being frisked, and mothers with breastfeeding babies being separated for "enhanced" screening.

With limited resources, it does make sense that if the TSA (or cops) are going to be screening or frisking anyone, it should be of the most likely people to commit the crime. Although, given the evidence that screening and frisking don't do anything to stop crime, it would make sense not to have that done at all.

What about OJ Simpson? He was arrested and he beat the case. It's not what you know, it's what you can prove in court.

Actually, it's how much money you have. While there may be outliers, in general, rich people will get far more lenient sentences than poor people.

I appreciate that most members have kept this discussion civil however we have got multiple complaints about this thread so I am closing it as it is off topic for pharmacy. Feel free to discuss it in the Lounge if would like too.

Status
Not open for further replies.