PhD/PsyD Roosevelt University PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheetah89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I realize that there have already been a few threads about Roosevelt's PsyD but they are several years old and I'd like to get some current opinions on the program.

I received my acceptance recently and am seriously considering attending. I'm impressed with the APA match rate (100% this year, 88% last year), EPPP pass rates, opportunities to be involved in research and variety/quality of clinical practica. My goal is to be a practicing neuropsychologist in a medical center, and I'm interested in specializing in pediatric neuro.

Are there any current students or recent alumni that can provide some feedback on the school? Are most students able to publish during their time in the program? Are/Were you happy there? Do you feel you made a good decision in attending? How is the program viewed by other professionals in the field? Any information would be wonderful.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it was 82% last year (2014) actually, one of those was a CPA, but still respectable. It's ok, tuition is a bit high. The neuro there is more neutral than anything, it won't open any doors. You'll need to rely on practicum placements for that. So, that's what I'd check on, where are people doing their peds npsych rotations.

As for research, I find that the quality of research strength/quality a program has is greatly reflective of the types of dissertations that their students put out historically. If they published or not seems a question that you may want to inquire directly to the program if you didn't do so during interview. If research production is a concern to you then it is a fit question that would be completely appropriate to know. Either way, I would strongly suggest looking up faculty names on PsychInfo over the last two years. Then look up any grads you may be aware of by name to read a bit about what dissertations look like for prospective advisors.

Habit doesn't change is my take

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your advice. Tuition is a bit high, but I was offered a substantial financial aid award that will make it more manageable for me to attend. Unfortunately I was not able to attend interview day so I haven't spoken to a variety of students there. The one student I did manage to speak to has done very well there (peds neuro practica at UChicago, matched to excellent APA internship in peds neuro), but I don't know if that kind of success is the norm.

Research involvement in the program seems highly variable, from what I can gauge. Students are required to do a dissertation but other than that it doesn't seem like you have to be involved in other projects if you're not interested. However, I have been told many times from the faculty that research participation is encouraged. As part of my financial aid I am required to remain active in research, which I am happy about. I will definitely inquire further about students' publication rates.

WisNeuro, is a Roosevelt application for an APA neuro internship the kind you would "toss" immediately, or would you at least give it a glance? :)

WisNeuro, is a Roosevelt application for an APA neuro internship the kind you would "toss" immediately, or would you at least give it a glance? :)

I'll have to defer on that one. Us adult people live in a different world than the peds in npsych. I know a little about npsych in general in that area from when I lived over nearer to Lake Michigan. Some schools post where their students have gone on internships, I would ask for a list of places recent peds neuropsych people have gone. That may give you a good indication of how successful they are in securing those internships as a program.

Peds neuro is an even smaller circle than adult neuro…so you'll definitely want to stay involved w. research, publish, present at conferences (and network while there), etc. The good news about peds neuro is you'll probably be in the best position to prepare for the EPPP because of the additional peds component. The only thing better would be in you somehow did I/O research as a peds neuro person… :D

Trying to keep this thread active a little while longer... Any other opinions out there on Roosevelt PsyD, specifically the neuro emphasis?

I don't have a whole lot of info on the program but I'm in the MA Clinical Psyh program at the moment and a professor of mine, a Psy.D. from the RU program, said he couldn't say enough good things about it. He loved it and said that RU is making a name for itself in npsych. Apparently internship sites look highly upon RU applicants, especially over Argosy, Adler, etc.

Hope this helps!

I went to Roosevelt for one semester in the masters in clinical psychology before switching to med school. I did really like it, the campus i was at was really nice, and the teachers were great. I can only speak for one semester of the program but the education seemed solid. A lot of really bright people in the psych program there.

The biggest problem was the tuition. It was about twice as much as the med school I ended up at, per semester, for the masters degree. Its a good school, just realize it is a bit pricey.

Really I did love it there. I miss being there a lot and it is one of the few things in my life where I wonder what could have been, had i stayed.

Reactions: 1 user