Rosalind Franklin BMS 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm going to send in my app after I get my mcat scores back (end of Feb.)

Members don't see this ad.

Just emailed them about the my application status, and they said it was complete and that "You should receive a status update within the next 4 to 6 weeks". So basically, once they receive all of your application materials, then they'll make a decision in 4-6 weeks. Hope I get in! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have already applied, how long was your personal statements? I didn't see a limit length or word wise while reviewing the application, and I am curious as to how much I should write.

For those who have already applied, how long was your personal statements? I didn't see a limit length or word wise while reviewing the application, and I am curious as to how much I should write.

Mine was pretty long because I used my personal statement from AMCAS and then added a bit to answer their specific questions. It was about 2 pages long single spaced.

Similar to what nymeria321 said, mine was about a page and a half from AMCAS and added a paragraph about whatever online track I wanted.

I submitted my app, but it wont be complete until May after I get my April 4th MCAT score.
For those of you who were accepted what were your stats like (GPA/MCAT)?

Hi,
I was wondering whether the exams in BMS program courses are multiple choice, just curious.
thanks

hi everyone! i'm thinking about applying to rfu, but my mcat's a little low at a 26. do you think it'll matter? i'm planning on retaking in june, but know the scores won't be in by the deadline. what does everyone think my chances are? 3.0 sgpa and 3.42 cgpa, which will have 7 credits added to both after this semester.

hi everyone! i'm thinking about applying to rfu, but my mcat's a little low at a 26. do you think it'll matter? i'm planning on retaking in june, but know the scores won't be in by the deadline. what does everyone think my chances are? 3.0 sgpa and 3.42 cgpa, which will have 7 credits added to both after this semester.

You should apply now while it's still early. People have gotten into BMS with 21's and 22's. I just applied with around that MCAT but slightly higher sGPA and cGPA. Just waiting for decision in 4-6 weeks (it's almost rolling admissions btw)!

Any success stories about BMS students who had <25 Mcat get into the medical school? It would really help me out so that I don't spin my wheels for a year and waste money. Thanks.

There are. Look in RFU BMS threads from previous years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted:

29 MCAT, 3.44 sGPA, 3.51 cGPA
Fairly Decent Amount of EC's in primary care and other leadership roles.
1 Year laboratory research, 6 months clinical research

Not sure what to make of it as my stats seem reasonable when compared to past years' applicants. They are accepting and waitlisting :confused: students almost a month early this year. Anyone have any idea how they use their waitlist, will my application sit on the back burner until much later in the cycle? Should I retake the MCAT in May? I was really excited to attend this program but am now a bit nervous and unsure of my next move.

Waitlisted:

Not sure what to make of it as my stats seem reasonable when compared to past years' applicants. They are accepting and waitlisting :confused: students almost a month early this year. Anyone have any idea how they use their waitlist, will my application sit on the back burner until much later in the cycle? Should I retake the MCAT in May? I was really excited to attend this program but am now a bit nervous and unsure of my next move.

Ok this post terrifies me. They're waitlisting this early on w/ those stats?! Your stats seem great compared to some of them from last year.

Waitlisted:

But to reassure you, I have a friend who applied really late in the cycle 2 years ago and she got in off the waitlist. So don't worry.

Ok this post terrifies me. They're waitlisting this early on w/ those stats?! Your stats seem great compared to some of them from last year.

Me too:confused:, maybe they think that he is overqualified and will probably get into med school?

I was at my desk with the MCAT Registration open about to sign up for another test date when I said screw it, I'm gonna call again and ask about my status and what they reccomend I should do. After a bunch of general questions, I asked Autumn if I would be receiving notification of being waitlisted in the mail soon because I originally found out I was waitlisted by calling in this past Monday. I was put on hold and when Autumn came back she said she had good news and that I was officially ACCEPTED as of this morning!!! Looks like they do look at the waitlist often or there was some mistake made earlier in the week. So happy!!

I was at my desk with the MCAT Registration open about to sign up for another test date when I said screw it, I'm gonna call again and ask about my status and what they reccomend I should do. After a bunch of general questions, I asked Autumn if I would be receiving notification of being waitlisted in the mail soon because I originally found out I was waitlisted by calling in this past Monday. I was put on hold and when Autumn came back she said she had good news and that I was officially ACCEPTED as of this morning!!! Looks like they do look at the waitlist often or there was some mistake made earlier in the week. So happy!!

congrats!!!! so exciting!!! That's incredible!

Now if only I could get my letter :scared:

Wait, when did you apply? Maybe I should call and ask them what my status is.

Wow! You really scared me at first! Those stats are above average in all areas for BMS lol. Can't believe they can waitlist this early, especially with those stats haha. But CONGRATULATIONS! I applied already and waiting to hear back! Hope I can get in soon too! :D

Yeah I got scared too because my stats are 33QMCAT and 3.6gpa but one of my transcripts didn't go through so they're still waiting for my transcript to be reviewed) and I'm Canadian. They said that the country of citizenship is not taken into consideration but being Canadian I feel kind of anxious that I might get either waitlisted or rejected :S

Last edited:
Yayyyy!! Just called and they told me I was accepted!! WOOO!!!! I'm so happy :) :)

Yayyyy!! Just called and they told me I was accepted!! WOOO!!!! I'm so happy :) :)

Congrats!
Called yesterday to confirm they received all my materials and they did. Hopefully it wont take too long, I'm so tired of waiting.
When did you complete your app?

Congrats!
Called yesterday to confirm they received all my materials and they did. Hopefully it wont take too long, I'm so tired of waiting.
When did you complete your app?

Thank you!!
It was delivered on 12/13. Then I called them on 1/8 to check my status and they said I was under review, which should take "4-6 weeks." I called again today and Autumn said they had accepted me and had just sent out the letter yesterday.

Really excited, it's such a great program. I have a friend who did it and now goes to CMS so she has great things to say about the school.

Wow congrats! You must be so relieved after hearing the good news! Do you mind sharing your stats? Also, which number did you call to check the status of your application?

Wow congrats! You must be so relieved after hearing the good news! Do you mind sharing your stats? Also, which number did you call to check the status of your application?

Yes I'm sooo happy! I was really holding out for this one. Even over my Drexel IMS and Georgetown SMP acceptances.

deleted

I called 847-578-3204 and said I wanted to check on the status of my BMS app. The woman then transferred me to Autumn and I left a message on her voicemail.

Last edited:
Hi!

My MCAT score is 24O (9PS/10BS/5VB). I am not sure if I should submit my application with that MCAT score or report a score later on, as I will be re-taking the MCAT next month.

Thanks!

Hi!

My MCAT score is 24O (9PS/10BS/5VB). I am not sure if I should submit my application with that MCAT score or report a score later on, as I will be re-taking the MCAT next month.

Thanks!

I had a similar MCAT score as yours and submitted my app 2 weeks ago. There have several those who got accepted with even 21s and 22s and eventually into CMS so I wouldn't worry too much about the retake. They have rolling admissions this year for some reason so I would submit ASAP!

Thanks for your input^...I guess I will just submit my present MCAT score.

Also, did anyone else have trouble filling out the information directly on the PDF file? I feel like some of the words get cut off....

Hi

I am a Canadian student. I submitted my application for BMS last week. I really want to get into this program as it seems like a great opportunity to get into CMS. My uGPA and MCAT are 3.79 and 29P. What do you guys think are my chances of getting accepted given my stats and the fact that I am a Canadian resident?

Thanks.

Hi

I am a Canadian student. I submitted my application for BMS last week. I really want to get into this program as it seems like a great opportunity to get into CMS. My uGPA and MCAT are 3.79 and 29P. What do you guys think are my chances of getting accepted given my stats and the fact that I am a Canadian resident?

Thanks.
I am Canadian too. With those stats apply to University of Manitoba or any other university. Do not waste your time or money, with that kind of stats you are set. Just write the MCAT once more.

Also, send an email to the actual school instead of relying on a forum. Its easy and they reply really fast. Good luck!

I have a couple of questions if you do not mind. Out of the 30% of people who didn't make it through to transition to CMS, what were their trends? What do you personally think caused them to flunk out? Also were these the classmates that had the lower of GPAs/MCATs? Do you know of anyone that was able to get in CMS with a GPA of <3.0?
Thanks

Yes I agree. With 3.79 gpa, you have a higher chance of getting into a canadian med school if you just rewrite your MCAT. SMP is for people who have have either relatively low GPA with high MCAT or vice versa.

Hi

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Yes I understand that my GPA isn't bad. But, I have given the MCAT three times now and my verbal score is stuck on 6. So, it cuts me out from all the Canadian and US schools (except DO, I suppose). Nevertheless, I will write the MCAT again and apply widely for the 2014 cycle. But, I am also planning to do BMS at RFUMS so that I have something to fall back on in case I see another year full of rejections. I don't mind adding extra $50K to my debt for this opportunity. I don't think I can go through one more round of applications and rejections after this year.

I'm looking to apply to help me prepare for dental school, mostly to show that I am willing to continue my education in my gap year and that I can handle the difficult classes. Are there many students who are accepted with the intention of attending dental school? Are there interviews for the program?
Thanks!

Hi

Yes I understand that my GPA isn't bad. But, I have given the MCAT three times now and my verbal score is stuck on 6. So, it cuts me out from all the Canadian and US schools (except DO, I suppose). Nevertheless, I will write the MCAT again and apply widely for the 2014 cycle. But, I am also planning to do BMS at RFUMS so that I have something to fall back on in case I see another year full of rejections. I don't mind adding extra $50K to my debt for this opportunity. I don't think I can go through one more round of applications and rejections after this year.

SMPs don't address MCAT, they address GPA. The RFU BMS has no guarantee of acceptance to RFU. Just get a verbal tutor, find strategies that work, and study the ever-loving crap out of the MCAT. That's probably what's keeping you out, not your academic record.

Hi

Have you looked at schools that do not take the MCAT? Calgary? UOttawa? Canadian Schools are keen on seeing a nice GPA, whereas our neighbors to the south prefer the MCAT more. So if I were you I would keep on trucking with the MCAT.

Have you looked at schools that do not take the MCAT? Calgary? UOttawa? Canadian Schools are keen on seeing a nice GPA, whereas our neighbors to the south prefer the MCAT more. So if I were you I would keep on trucking with the MCAT.
Yes I did consider applying to these schools, but I don't meet their cutoffs. Ottawa requires a weighted cGPA of 3.88. And for University of Calgary Medicine the mean GPA of successful non-Albertan applicants is 3.96.

Just got my acceptance letter in the mail today! Just waiting to hear back from a few med school interviews that I've had, but it's definitely a relief knowing I got somewhere to go next year!

Just got my acceptance letter in the mail today! Just waiting to hear back from a few med school interviews that I've had, but it's definitely a relief knowing I got somewhere to go next year!

Would you care to share your stats and when you applied? Thanks!

I'm looking to apply to help me prepare for dental school, mostly to show that I am willing to continue my education in my gap year and that I can handle the difficult classes. Are there many students who are accepted with the intention of attending dental school? Are there interviews for the program?
Thanks!

RFUMS doesn't have a dental program, so there aren no interviews.

Yes I did consider applying to these schools, but I don't meet their cutoffs. Ottawa requires a weighted cGPA of 3.88. And for University of Calgary Medicine the mean GPA of successful non-Albertan applicants is 3.96.
Like others have said, get your MCAT up. SMP is no place for you, your GPA is good enough. Study, study, and more studying. I suggest EK rather than Kaplan. Good luck!

Would you care to share your stats and when you applied? Thanks!
I applied at the end of november. At that point I didn't have any interviews yet so I was starting to worry a little. But since then, I've had 4 interviews, but still waiting to hear back from all the schools. But my stats were 3.59 cGPA, 3.47 sGPA, and 29S. I also have pretty solid extracurriculars like EMT, volunteering overseas, and publications.

I applied at the end of november. At that point I didn't have any interviews yet so I was starting to worry a little. But since then, I've had 4 interviews, but still waiting to hear back from all the schools. But my stats were 3.59 cGPA, 3.47 sGPA, and 29S. I also have pretty solid extracurriculars like EMT, volunteering overseas, and publications.

Thanks and congrats for getting accepted! Hope you get into a med school so you can leave us with lower stats some spots! :D

I got an acceptance letter in the mail today! I'm pretty happy...had a similar story to michael63 where I called two weeks ago to ask about my application status and they said I was waitlisted. I guess they reevaluated me. I did update them with two new letters of rec though. Hopefully others get similar news!

Congrats on all the new acceptances. Im a current BMS student so I understand the agony of waiting. Ive been a long time reader but never posted. This page was a tremendous help for me so Ill try to answer questions you may have.

The grading system this coming up year is changing to pass/fail. This will affect m1+m2 years, but clinical grades will still be on a letter system.

Thanks!

RFU doesn't have a dental school so the guaranteed interview that is associated with BMS will not apply. I know in my class of 1 individual, but he is no longer in the program because he got into dental school early during the first quarter.

Does that mean the BMS 2013 Class will also have pass/fail grade? How are they going to select who gets into CMS then?