Rosalind Franklin BMS 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have the same question as you, hongkildong. Can anyone currently in BMS or former BMS/now med student confirm what rayovac said?

Members don't see this ad.

So we can't use normal LOR's for medical school? They have to be program specific (for the SMP)?

Noooo. Use the same letters of recommendation for all SMP programs. They are not supposed to be program specific -- that would be a tough burden for your letter writers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does that mean the BMS 2013 Class will also have pass/fail grade? How are they going to select who gets into CMS then?

Let me rephrase this CMS is going to P/F system starting 2017 class. I don't know what BMS will be.

Let me rephrase this CMS is going to P/F system starting 2017 class. I don't know what BMS will be.

So you're saying they won't implement the P/F system until the 2017...so that means there's still the regular A/B/C system until then for BMS and CMS. Whew, that's a relief.

So you're saying they won't implement the P/F system until the 2017...so that means there's still the regular A/B/C system until then for BMS and CMS. Whew, that's a relief.

I think he's talking about class of 2017... Therefore, if you went to BMS (A/B/C etc grading scale) and then you continued on to CMS to be class of 2018... then it would be P/F while you're at CMS.

I'm also pretty sure that CMS is the only one switching to the P/F system. At least that's what they said at their open house.

Additionally, it doesn't really matter. You will know your actual grades in each class and your scores on every test. They just think it would help bc lots of other medical schools use a P/F system.

Does anyone know if the Nutrition Application Essay is mandatory even if we do not select it as the program of our interest?
It says "required to be submitted with the application" under the title, so I'm a bit confused.

No it is not

Yes, I have also heard that BMS students are not curved or weighted against each other but against the medical school average, which is nice because it eliminates competition.

Oh and I can't stop staring at your picture Xcellerator,
that is SNSD sooyoung right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just sent in all my application materials today!!! Really really want to attend this program! Hopefully an early app is good!

And thanks to Unzbuzzled for all your inside information (from previous thread years and this one!).

:)

I'm also pretty sure that CMS is the only one switching to the P/F system. At least that's what they said at their open house.

Additionally, it doesn't really matter. You will know your actual grades in each class and your scores on every test. They just think it would help bc lots of other medical schools use a P/F system.

Ahh, now I see, thanks for clearing that up! :D

hxkenshin said:
Oh and I can't stop staring at your picture Xcellerator,
that is SNSD sooyoung right?

Yes, it's Sooyoung! Hahaha.

This will probably get buried but here is some information that I didn't think about too much until it came time for me to move to the area.

1.RFU isn't in Chicago (I'm from west coast so i didn't figure this out until i had to drive over) it's about an hour from the city

2.RFU is sort of a commuter campus so your going to want a car, the main motivation will be food because the cafeteria is only open for lunch. but also because there's not much in walking distance, if you can get a awesome roommate with a car you'd be golden
2a. car owners buy one of those ice scrapper things my car turned into a icicle once
2b. technically there are ways to have food and produce shipped to your apartment without a car but i think it gets a little costly and i personally like to pick my produce

3. Get apps and secondaries done before you come, there's no time when you start

4. Pick Track carefully, try to pick something you like or can tolerate, in the past i have been told they were easier than they are now. But this year some of my "easy" track classes were significantly harder than before (e.g. marketing for hcam) In general many will think of their track courses as distractions from their med courses.

5. start planning on bringing food with you to campus because on-campus food isn't cheap and is unavailable at night. There are tons of fridges to use so you can bring perishables with you

6. This is a small school so be nice to everyone

7. Don't be an Island it's very easy to go into "loner-study mode" generally speaking most people are healthier when they have a few friends to study with once in awhile

8.When booking plane tickets home for holidays I recommend flying out of O'hare, most of your classmates will fly out of that airport rather than midway so its easier to find people to split shuttles with

good luck to all you applicants, the program here is definitely one of the better SMPs and the linkage has been solid in previous years. They haven't given out admissions yet for any members of our class so i can't comment on that.

anyone else who's accepted thinking about attending this program? i'm kind of on the edge of whether it is worth the 50k+ that it will cost to attend this program.

Am I the only one that runs into a problem on the application? My font doesn't shrink like some other people said and so when I print the app lots of the words are hidden because they won't fit in the box. Is it because I'm on a mac?

Last edited:
Am I the only one that runs into a problem on the application? My font doesn't shrink like some other people said and so when I print the app lots of the words are hidden because they won't fit in the box. Is it because I'm on a mac?
what web browser are you using? Try a different one

Has anyone else heard back?? I just got a confirmation that they were able to receive everything for my application. I'm sooo anxious and can't wait to hear back! I wanted to get an idea of everyone's statistics who got an acceptance.

Also, I'm taking the MCATs on June 20th (scores won't be available until July 20th-ish). I was wondering if that would be a caveat towards applying to CMS if I get accepted to the program? I used my GRE score to apply for the BMS program.

I have the same question as you, hongkildong. Can anyone currently in BMS or former BMS/now med student confirm what rayovac said?

I'm currently an M1A (graduated BMS in 2012). Even though the school is going P/F starting with next year's entering class, the percentage grades are still recorded and kept on file. The school will still use an internal ranking system using these percentage grades for things like AoA membership (medical school honor society). I'd wager BMS students will be evaluated by these percentage grades in the future since grades will no longer be available.

In fact (and from here on this post is conjecture based on my experience), I think they always used percentages to an extent in regards to selecting BMS students for CMS acceptance. I know from my year that several people had high percent B grades in Physio and they were accepted in the first batch of my year (end of March). So again, this is just my opinion and experience but they will just use your percentage and to some extent they always have.

Good luck everyone, its a great program :)

Has anyone else heard back?? I just got a confirmation that they were able to receive everything for my application. I'm sooo anxious and can't wait to hear back! I wanted to get an idea of everyone's statistics who got an acceptance.

Also, I'm taking the MCATs on June 20th (scores won't be available until July 20th-ish). I was wondering if that would be a caveat towards applying to CMS if I get accepted to the program? I used my GRE score to apply for the BMS program.
As long as your scores are in before they evaluate for cms admission your probably fine. so July is still okay

I want to apply to the program but I won't be taking my MCAT until the end of April. I am going to wait until the score arrives (5/29/13) to apply to the program because I heard that admissions are likely to drop the application if the applicant doesn't have MCAT score (in stage of waiting for MCAT score) when applying. Can anyone help me PLEASE? I am thinking about whether I should move my MCAT to March so that I have better chance of getting in.

Do I have chances of getting in even if I apply in May? or should I apply now and send MCAT score later?

Thank you so much.

It depends on your GPA, your letters, your EC and your personal statement. If you have a strong GPA I would say apply now and just send in the MCAT score later but if your GPA isn't that competitive I would wait until your MCAT score arrives and submit it.

It depends on your GPA, your letters, your EC and your personal statement. If you have a strong GPA I would say apply now and just send in the MCAT score later but if your GPA isn't that competitive I would wait until your MCAT score arrives and submit it.
My GPA is pretty low sGPA~3.0. I guess I should apply later :( Thanks

Have you taken MCAT before? I think I saw somewhere that your MCAT was 33. I think with that MCAT, you still have a shot if you apply now. Why do you want to retake your MCAT if it's 33?

No, that's not me. I haven't taken MCAT before , I would never retake it if I had that score. My practice score is way below that :(

I am going to apply 5/29 when my MCAT score arrives, I hope I still have chances of getting in..

If you look at last year's application process, H133133, you will find that people were accepted through July! As long as your score gets in before this time you definitely have a chance. I suggest you call the admissions office, they are really nice about answering questions for "what if" type of inquiries; they'll probably say that although applying late isn't recommended, you pretty much have no other choice since they'll only review your application with a test score--just like medical school.
However, if you score really high then you'll have a very good chance of getting in. You gotta remember that a lot of people drop their commitment throughout the summer due to getting into medical school. If I were you I wouldn't rush the exam and make sure that I get a very competitive score.

Last edited:
Actually I think I've read on their website FAQ page that an April MCAT is accepted. Hold on.
Here's the link:
http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/Degreeprograms/BiomedicalSciences/FAQ.aspx
It specifically states that as long as the score comes in before JUNE 1st, all is well.

As for whether you should submit the application now, I say do it. Even though they won't start reviewing your application until you have taken the MCAT and the score is released, you'll still have to submit it one point or another, and perhaps it will give you the extra motivation to study harder for the MCAT.

Yea I don't have much option right now. I feel bad about not preparing for MCAT earlier...

Thank you for the reply :)

you also have the option of taking the GRE and applying with that to this program. I know your scores are sent almost immediately. It's probably an easier exam too. then you have time to focus on the mcat all summer if you want.

H133133

Status Pre-Medical

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congrats to all who are accepted!

I wish to apply for BMS program for the next cycle but my stats are really really really bad cGPA 3.01 sGPA 2.72 MCAT 33O.

I volunteered at physician's office for 2 years and have done research during the summer in nuclear medicine for 4 months.

Do you guys think I have chance to get into the program? or maybe other SMP programs that has pretty good linkage?

Thank you

This was what I was talking about ( I was able to search through your profile, didn't mean to be creepy lol) Anyhow, with your GPA, it all depends on your MCAT and I would say that try to aim for 30+.

^Wow.. no it's still not me. I was too lazy to make my own ID and I'm using my roommate's. I didn't even know you can look that up lol

^^Yea I have been studying for MCAT (kind of) since December so I will give it a shot in April. I wish I knew earlier that I could apply with GRE score :(

^^^I heard from someone that admissions office likes to look at the application when everything is all set. That's why I'm debating on whether to send it now or not.. and because my GPA is bad and nothing is special about my application..(no publication, not a whole lot of volunteer hours) (doesn't mean it will change a lot in May either because I know I can't get >30 MCAT :( )

how late would you suppose is too late to apply to this program? I know the deadline is in early summertime, but does anybody know how quickly they fill up?

how late would you suppose is too late to apply to this program? I know the deadline is in early summertime, but does anybody know how quickly they fill up?
for some reason they starting accepting people early this year. no one knows why. but ive heard of people applying in may and even june and getting in. But, it is rolling admission, so the sooner the better

^Wow.. no it's still not me. I was too lazy to make my own ID and I'm using my roommate's. I didn't even know you can look that up lol

^^Yea I have been studying for MCAT (kind of) since December so I will give it a shot in April. I wish I knew earlier that I could apply with GRE score :(

^^^I heard from someone that admissions office likes to look at the application when everything is all set. That's why I'm debating on whether to send it now or not.. and because my GPA is bad and nothing is special about my application..(no publication, not a whole lot of volunteer hours) (doesn't mean it will change a lot in May either because I know I can't get >30 MCAT :( )

Look its quite simple H133133 (whichever one has not taken the mcat) you apply or you don't. Its not worth you stressing over whether you will get in at this point, especially considering you have not taken the mcat and received your scores. Take your exam, get your results and then decide if your going to apply or not. Don't worry about should I send half of my application or not, because an early half of an application is not going to have more weight then your mcat score, especially since you state that you have a mediocre gpa. Focus on the exam, do your best and decide from there.

for some reason they starting accepting people early this year. no one knows why. but ive heard of people applying in may and even june and getting in. But, it is rolling admission, so the sooner the better

This is true as I was a very late applicant myself. There were people that were accepted on the week of orientation. Although it was not very many people ~5-6, it is still possible. But futuredoc is correct apply as soon as you can.

Do you guys think a 3.0/27 is a competitive applicant for this program?

Do you guys think a 3.0/27 is a competitive applicant for this program?

I think your MCAT is fine (near average of 2012 class)
Your GPA is slightly lower, but not that much lower. I definitely think you have a chance.

Hey guys, I submitted my app close to a month ago and was wondering if anyone knows when they will be sending out the next round of admissions?

This is my top choice for an smp and hope to see some of you there in august!

Hey guys, I submitted my app close to a month ago and was wondering if anyone knows when they will be sending out the next round of admissions?

This is my top choice for an smp and hope to see some of you there in august!

Top choice here too! I sent in everything on 1/11. Was complete on 01/24 so it's been at least 4 weeks already, almost 5 weeks. I should hear back sometime this week or next week at the latest! Hopefully some good news soon lol

they usually say 6 to 8 weeks after your complete they'll have a decision

Top choice here too! I sent in everything on 1/11. Was complete on 01/24 so it's been at least 4 weeks already, almost 5 weeks. I should hear back sometime this week or next week at the latest! Hopefully some good news soon lol
Sounds good, I called in and they told me that they had all my files...is that what you meant by complete...or did they send you an email?

Does the program have designated LOR writers like Gtown SMP? Or do we need to ask our science professors if we want to get new LORs?

Does the program have designated LOR writers like Gtown SMP? Or do we need to ask our science professors if we want to get new LORs?

The director of the BMS program will write you LOR for other schools, however this is usually done after some exams have been taken as the letter will include these scores.