Rosalind Franklin BMS 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should we attend BMS?

• Yes

Votes: 42 68.9%
  • NO

Votes: 19 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ya

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did everyone enter their all your courses again? Or do we just have to enter those require pre-reqs?

Hey!
I'm thinking about applying to BMS next year and was wondering if anyone knew whether they take applicants with low MCAT scores? Does it affect you when you're trying to apply to their MD program? I have a 3.6 GPA, but am not doing so well with MCAT practice tests (around 25-26). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
The "Program Materials" section of the app won't mark complete until I upload a document to the research/publications section. If I haven't done any research how do I get this section marked complete? Upload a document that says I haven't done any research? I'm going to send them an email, just wondering if any of you have had this problem.

Did everyone enter their all your courses again? Or do we just have to enter those require pre-reqs?
Not sure if you already found this out since you posted this over a week ago, but I called and the woman from admissions said we need to list every single class on our transcript(s).

Not sure if you already found this out since you posted this over a week ago, but I called and the woman from admissions said we need to list every single class on our transcript(s).
What day and time did you call? I've been trying to reach them for weeks. Probably made over 30 calls. lol

Hey!
I'm thinking about applying to BMS next year and was wondering if anyone knew whether they take applicants with low MCAT scores? Does it affect you when you're trying to apply to their MD program? I have a 3.6 GPA, but am not doing so well with MCAT practice tests (around 25-26). Thanks!
this is a common problem. Unfortunately SMPs are structured/designed to overcome lousy academic records (GPA) and NOT MCAT. The only thing that will mitigate your low MCAT is by taking it again and getting a higher score! This SMP will not do that for you.

What day and time did you call? I've been trying to reach them for weeks. Probably made over 30 calls. lol
I called on Wed 12/17 at around.... noonish? But I called the admissions office at 847-578-3204, not RFUCAS (617-612-2070 ext. 5004).

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone happens to know the figures for how many of the CMS matriculants from BMS are in-state. Just curious if maybe CMS shows bias there.

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone happens to know the figures for how many of the CMS matriculants from BMS are in-state. Just curious if maybe CMS shows bias there.
BMS shows no bias at all. In their words 'they're a private institution so they don't care'

Lots of instate students matriculate, but I think its mostly because there are just more in state applicants to the program than out of state applicants.

Lots of instate students matriculate, but I think its mostly because there are just more in state applicants to the program than out of state applicants.

Yeah, I couldn't help wondering about that. Cool deal. Guess I'm throwing my hat in the ring for 2015.

Members don't see this ad :)
IIRC i think those stats were always there?
Right, but they were for 2011. These are updated for 2014. I know at least a few of them changed, but I can't say I remember all of the old ones exactly.

Anyone can comment on the interviews for BMS students? Are they different than for outside applicants since we would take the same courses as medical students?

Anyone can comment on the interviews for BMS students? Are they different than for outside applicants since we would take the same courses as medical students?
Their website says there is no interview process for BMS students.

Their website says there is no interview process for BMS students.

I believe he is referring to BMS students who interview for CMS. Are they treated any differently than regular applicants who are interviewed by CMS?

I believe he is referring to BMS students who interview for CMS. Are they treated any differently than regular applicants who are interviewed by CMS?

They interview us exactly the same.

Just curious. Any current students have a feel for this years acceptance rate?

It used to be 80% but last year it was down to 60%.

It's way too early in the year to have a good idea of the overall acceptance rate. Most people haven't even interviewed yet. We probably won't even have a rough idea until toward the end of the BMS program.

Also I don't think the program ever had 80% acceptance into med school.

I've heard 55 spots reserved for BMSers, but as mentioned, since few of us have interviewed, and they don't release decisions until the end of the year (or just after end of the term), no one will know for sure until then.

Anyone hear back from BMS about acceptance into the program? My app has been complete for a while now, so I am just sitting here waiting. This is my top choice.

Good luck everyone! What's the address that you sent you official MCAT/DAT scores to? Is there a specific department? I can't find that information on their site.

The "Program Materials" section of the app won't mark complete until I upload a document to the research/publications section. If I haven't done any research how do I get this section marked complete? Upload a document that says I haven't done any research? I'm going to send them an email, just wondering if any of you have had this problem.

Did you find out the answer to this? I also haven't done any research either, so it won't mark as complete!

Did you find out the answer to this? I also haven't done any research either, so it won't mark as complete!
I emailed them and never got a response. I ended up uploading a document that said I haven't done any research and explained that I couldn't submit my app until I uploaded a document to that section. They need to make that optional, it's not a requirement.

I emailed them and never got a response. I ended up uploading a document that said I haven't done any research and explained that I couldn't submit my app until I uploaded a document to that section. They need to make that optional, it's not a requirement.
that's what i did as well

Thank you!

I skimmed through the previous RFUMS BMS threads, and didn't see the answer to my question. When filling out the application, do you only apply to one program? I don't know which educational concentration I want to pick. Once you apply to that concentration are you locked in, or can you decide at a later time? Any advice or direction is appreciated.

I skimmed through the previous RFUMS BMS threads, and didn't see the answer to my question. When filling out the application, do you only apply to one program? I don't know which educational concentration I want to pick. Once you apply to that concentration are you locked in, or can you decide at a later time? Any advice or direction is appreciated.

I was wondering about this as well... In the past application, it asked you to put a number next to each concentration, prioritizing which one you'd prefer to do. But I noticed that on the online app, you have to pay $75 per concentration that you apply for. I am wondering if applying to more than one will increase my chances of getting accepted? ..But then that would mean this one app would be pretty darn expensive. :/ What did everyone else do?

I was wondering about this as well... In the past application, it asked you to put a number next to each concentration, prioritizing which one you'd prefer to do. But I noticed that on the online app, you have to pay $75 per concentration that you apply for. I am wondering if applying to more than one will increase my chances of getting accepted? ..But then that would mean this one app would be pretty darn expensive. :/ What did everyone else do?

i just chose something that sounded interesting. i don't believe that more concentrations give you a better chance...that would be absurd, right??

i just chose something that sounded interesting. i don't believe that more concentrations give you a better chance...that would be absurd, right??
yeah you're right ben, that sounds pretty weird. I don't know why I said that. But it is different this year because you have to pay $75 for each one you pick, and last year, it was just $75 for the entire app but you just had to prioritize it by numbers.

Last edited:
For those who may be interested on the status of BMS students getting into CMS, we recently had an admissions officer come into our BMS class and talk about where we are at in the admissions process. I would say at this point that at least half of the class has interviewed and the rest will be getting it done between now and Spring break. We will get all our interviewing done by the end of March. Admissions said they will meet during spring break and then decide on the first batch of acceptances that will come out probably around mid-March. They will then convene every 2 weeks to make decisions. For those that they know they want to accept, they will be in the first batch. For those that are kind of on the fence they will be waiting to see how we do in our Spring term classes. They also said they will be rejecting people early so that they can make alternate plans in regards to their education and/or future. They also assured us that there is NO cap on the amount of students from BMS that can be accepted to CMS so we don't really know how many will be accepted although we hope all of us will :).

The certificate track that you select has no bearing on whether you get in or not. Personally, I would choose something you have an interest in but know that it is recommended that you spend as little time as possible with these classes. In terms of difficulty of the online classes, you should get an A. They are not difficult and if you can't get an A it will be because you are lazy and is a big red flag for the admissions committee. As far as I know once you get accepted for a particular track, it is very difficult to change from there. Choosing a particular track doesn't increase your chances of being accepted into BMS. They just like to know beforehand how many people chose a particular track to prepare for it.

Reactions: 3 users
Great post lebro.. I was going to post the same announcement incase prospective BMSers are interested. I remember how curious I was last year about BMSers getting into CMS. I just wanted to add a few things to lebro’s post. I have heard that at this point there are about 90-95 potential candidates out of BMS. Every year there are about 60 students who get accepted. So 2/3 of this class has a very good chance of getting into CMS this year.

As for the track classes, they are all easy. Initially, the first class of a track might seem difficult and so students will want to change tracks. But once you get the hang of it, all track classes are fairly easy. I don’t think people need A’s in those to get accepted. According to what I have heard, Physio, neuro, biochem and cell bio (all M1 classes) are the only classes that are important in that specific order. TIPs and track classes are just time fillers and the admissions committee doesn’t care about them as much.

Reactions: 1 users
great news. Hopefully yall get in. Then I can get in and we can party together next year!!!

For those who may be interested on the status of BMS students getting into CMS, we recently had an admissions officer come into our BMS class and talk about where we are at in the admissions process. I would say at this point that at least half of the class has interviewed and the rest will be getting it done between now and Spring break. We will get all our interviewing done by the end of March. Admissions said they will meet during spring break and then decide on the first batch of acceptances that will come out probably around mid-March. They will then convene every 2 weeks to make decisions. For those that they know they want to accept, they will be in the first batch. For those that are kind of on the fence they will be waiting to see how we do in our Spring term classes. They also said they will be rejecting people early so that they can make alternate plans in regards to their education and/or future. They also assured us that there is NO cap on the amount of students from BMS that can be accepted to CMS so we don't really know how many will be accepted although we hope all of us will :).

The certificate track that you select has no bearing on whether you get in or not. Personally, I would choose something you have an interest in but know that it is recommended that you spend as little time as possible with these classes. In terms of difficulty of the online classes, you should get an A. They are not difficult and if you can't get an A it will be because you are lazy and is a big red flag for the admissions committee. As far as I know once you get accepted for a particular track, it is very difficult to change from there. Choosing a particular track doesn't increase your chances of being accepted into BMS. They just like to know beforehand how many people chose a particular track to prepare for it.

Good post, this all sounds right from what they said in HiPs.

Great post lebro.. I was going to post the same announcement incase prospective BMSers are interested. I remember how curious I was last year about BMSers getting into CMS. I just wanted to add a few things to lebro’s post. I have heard that at this point there are about 90-95 potential candidates out of BMS. Every year there are about 60 students who get accepted. So 2/3 of this class has a very good chance of getting into CMS this year.

As for the track classes, they are all easy. Initially, the first class of a track might seem difficult and so students will want to change tracks. But once you get the hang of it, all track classes are fairly easy. I don’t think people need A’s in those to get accepted. According to what I have heard, Physio, neuro, biochem and cell bio (all M1 classes) are the only classes that are important in that specific order. TIPs and track classes are just time fillers and the admissions committee doesn’t care about them as much.

Giving a number at this point is pure speculation. I'd love for everyone to get in, of course, but at this point we can't say for sure. Just to avoid confusion for prospective students, it's better not to give premature numbers, IMO.

Also, saying that admissions doesn't care about TIPs and track classes is incredibly misleading. I agree that they are not weighed as heavily (particularly track classes) as the medical school courses, but to me that means that they can only hurt you. The only excuse to get less than an A in a track class is being lazy, almost the entire grade is completion. Not getting an A is a red flag (as @lebro stated) for that reason - it looks like you blow off things that you don't think are important, and there will be some stuff like that throughout medical training, schools don't want you to blow that off either. So, if you get an A, great, it doesn't help you, it's expected. If you don't, it probably won't kill your chances, but it's not ideal.
TIPs likely matters more than track classes, but it's hard to tell exactly how much weight admissions gives it relative to the medical school courses. You don't hear about many people who get in with C's in TIPs, though, so you should do as well as possible (obviously). TIPs also parallels med physio somewhat (particularly right now, for GI) so studying for and doing well on this exam should help for the GI physio exam (fingers crossed for next Thursday).

I also don't know if admissions cares more about physio or neuro, but I agree that they're both generally considered to be more important than biochem and CMCB (this doesn't mean blow off these classes, just that an A in physio or neuro means a lot while an A in biochem or CMCB means less).

For prospective students:
In a general sense, nothing has really changed, based on what we were told. It seems the general advice of "get the best grades you can" still supposedly holds true. (Why wouldn't it?) But we'll have to wait and see what ends up happening over the next few months before we can make final statements about what's actually happening. As in the past, there's plenty of people on here who will post their experiences so you can make a more informed decision. Keep in mind too that the AMCAS you come into BMS with does matter - those with a larger academic deficit to overcome will likely have to perform better in the program than those with a reasonable AMCAS.

Last edited:
Last year the application deadline was June 1st, if I remember correctly. If you won't have your MCAT back until June 30th and the deadline is the same, then this will clearly be too late. If this is the case, you have a couple options:
First, as @peachicedtea mentioned, MCAT dates could open up, so keep an eye out - but be sure to only take the test if you are truly ready, as rushing it and getting a sub par score is worse than missing the BMS application cycle.
Second, as @Nice Marmot mentioned, BMS does take people with only a GRE score, so you could take the GRE just to have a complete application. Also, if for whatever reason you bomb it, it's the GRE, so you don't have to report it if you don't want to. Honestly, even if it wasn't great, it probably wouldn't get you rejected, just put on the waitlist while they wait for your MCAT, so I'd do it if I were you, just to avoid applying late in the cycle. The BMS class profile states that their average GRE is 1104, but this is clearly quite dated since they're using the old, 1600 point scale. You can look up conversion charts for the new scale to the old to figure out what you would need to be competitive. (For reference, I applied with a 163VR/160QR GRE, which converts to a 1410 but I also had a reasonable MCAT score, so have no idea what weight the GRE carried). Anyway, the GRE isn't nearly the same level of a "content test" as the MCAT, so it's something you can take with little to no studying, so won't interfere with your MCAT prep. (Take a practice one first, just so you have an idea of what you'll score and know what you're getting into. You can get two for free from the ETS website.)
Finally, you could talk to BMS directly and see what they say, but I kind of doubt they will waive an application requirement like the MCAT.

Your stats otherwise look fine for BMS, good luck!
Hey Blob, you have been helping me in this post for a few months now just wanted to come back and ask you for advice one more time. So I ended by bachelors with a 3.3cgpa and 3.0sgpa. I took the GRE and got a 155V 160Q and 4.5W which is 69% 79% 80% percentiles respectively. I wanted to take the May mcat which would have my scores released June30 but mcat registration today was aweful and all the spots in Cali got eaten up so I was left with a June 20 mcat date which means a score release JULY21 ( 3three weeks later than the other test date)At this point my letters are wonderful I have 2 pubs and 3 abstracts and plenty of volunteer work etc... I am going to apply this month with my GRE and hope to get in but if i am placed on a waitlist can my mcat scores which will be sent in july21 get me into this years class in time?? THANKS

Hey Blob, you have been helping me in this post for a few months now just wanted to come back and ask you for advice one more time. So I ended by bachelors with a 3.3cgpa and 3.0sgpa. I took the GRE and got a 155V 160Q and 4.5W which is 69% 79% 80% percentiles respectively. I wanted to take the May mcat which would have my scores released June30 but mcat registration today was aweful and all the spots in Cali got eaten up so I was left with a June 20 mcat date which means a score release JULY21 ( 3three weeks later than the other test date)At this point my letters are wonderful I have 2 pubs and 3 abstracts and plenty of volunteer work etc... I am going to apply this month with my GRE and hope to get in but if i am placed on a waitlist can my mcat scores which will be sent in july21 get me into this years class in time?? THANKS

According to the website (http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/Degreeprograms/BiomedicalSciences/FAQ.aspx) they want your scores by June 1st. Since either test date would have had your MCAT released after this, I wouldn't worry about it. Just take it when you're ready (I stand by my earlier advice, taking it early and doing poorly is worse than not having it in time). Your GPA is almost exactly average for BMS and your GRE converts to a ~1,290, which is a lot higher than their old ~1100 average, so is probably fine. (They removed the GRE from their class profile page, so I don't know if it's changed, but that was the 2011 average they had posted before updating the website.) Finally, you've got more to show for research than most BMS students (I had 2 presented abstracts, no publications, for example), so you've got that going for you.

I would apply, make your application as strong as possible (don't skimp on the essays, PS, etc...), and hope for the best. If you get waitlisted, there's a chance you could send them your MCAT when it comes out, since classes don't start until mid August, I believe. Worst case, you don't get in this cycle and reapply next cycle with an MCAT and an additional year of stuff, it's not the end of the world. A lot of the class took some time after college (the average age is ~24). And hey, you might just get in with your stats and GRE.

According to the website (http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/Degreeprograms/BiomedicalSciences/FAQ.aspx) they want your scores by June 1st. Since either test date would have had your MCAT released after this, I wouldn't worry about it. Just take it when you're ready (I stand by my earlier advice, taking it early and doing poorly is worse than not having it in time). Your GPA is almost exactly average for BMS and your GRE converts to a ~1,290, which is a lot higher than their old ~1100 average, so is probably fine. (They removed the GRE from their class profile page, so I don't know if it's changed, but that was the 2011 average they had posted before updating the website.) Finally, you've got more to show for research than most BMS students (I had 2 presented abstracts, no publications, for example), so you've got that going for you.

I would apply, make your application as strong as possible (don't skimp on the essays, PS, etc...), and hope for the best. If you get waitlisted, there's a chance you could send them your MCAT when it comes out, since classes don't start until mid August, I believe. Worst case, you don't get in this cycle and reapply next cycle with an MCAT and an additional year of stuff, it's not the end of the world. A lot of the class took some time after college (the average age is ~24). And hey, you might just get in with your stats and GRE.
thanks blob!! ya i have been in the website the GRE stuff not there anymore. you're the man ! will do

Would it be too late to apply if I take the GRE in March (so I can get my app out in time) and the MCAT in May?

Accepted today! Complete in early january

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Would it be too late to apply if I take the GRE in March (so I can get my app out in time) and the MCAT in May?

Not definitively too late, but pushing it. Lots of waitlist movement happened in June and July, so it is not as if the class will be completely full, but the sooner the better as always.

I know this might be too late to help everyone that was talking about it earlier in this thread, but I have some info on using Interfolio to send LoR.

This is the response I got from RFU when I asked if it was possible to use Interfolio:
"Thank you for your email. The letters of recommendation should be submitted through RFUCAS. If you are using Interfolio list the contact person at Interfolio, including their email address, as if you were listing the individual letter writer. An email will be sent to the contact person at Interfolio with a link to upload the letters of recommendation."

I forwarded this to Interfolio, and this is what they sent me:
"Thank you for contacting us! Here’s how you can have us send your letters to RFUCAS:

In your online application, you can enter a unique Interfolio document email address in place of your letter writer’s.

You can find this Interfolio email address by clicking the document title for your letter in your Dossier. The email will look something like this: [email protected]. Enter your letter writer’s name and corresponding Interfolio email address for each required recommendation in the online application.

When Interfolio is contacted by RFUCAS, we will create a new Pending Delivery for each letter requested by the application. You’ll receive an email from Interfolio to alert you of your new delivery requests.

Once you check out your deliveries, it takes 1-3 business days for us to upload your documents to the online application system. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!"

Sounds like it's pretty easy and more convenient than nagging your letter writers again, the only downside I can see is that each letter is a new delivery so you might end up paying for 3 deliveries instead of 1 (I might be wrong about that, but that's what I got from the above e-mail. Haven't tried it yet cause I'm way behind in applying here.)

I know this might be too late to help everyone that was talking about it earlier in this thread, but I have some info on using Interfolio to send LoR.

This is the response I got from RFU when I asked if it was possible to use Interfolio:
"Thank you for your email. The letters of recommendation should be submitted through RFUCAS. If you are using Interfolio list the contact person at Interfolio, including their email address, as if you were listing the individual letter writer. An email will be sent to the contact person at Interfolio with a link to upload the letters of recommendation."

I forwarded this to Interfolio, and this is what they sent me:
"Thank you for contacting us! Here’s how you can have us send your letters to RFUCAS:

In your online application, you can enter a unique Interfolio document email address in place of your letter writer’s.

You can find this Interfolio email address by clicking the document title for your letter in your Dossier. The email will look something like this: [email protected]. Enter your letter writer’s name and corresponding Interfolio email address for each required recommendation in the online application.

When Interfolio is contacted by RFUCAS, we will create a new Pending Delivery for each letter requested by the application. You’ll receive an email from Interfolio to alert you of your new delivery requests.

Once you check out your deliveries, it takes 1-3 business days for us to upload your documents to the online application system. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!"

Sounds like it's pretty easy and more convenient than nagging your letter writers again, the only downside I can see is that each letter is a new delivery so you might end up paying for 3 deliveries instead of 1 (I might be wrong about that, but that's what I got from the above e-mail. Haven't tried it yet cause I'm way behind in applying here.)

yes you do end up paying for three deliveries

Hi guys, is the GRE a requirement for this program? Or will my MCAT score suffice. It doesn't exactly clearly state whether you can apply with MCAT score alone.

"Verified" today, 2/23. Does anyone have an idea how long it takes to hear a response after verification?