Rosalind Franklin BMS 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

splendidsuns1000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Surprised no one has started this thread yet! Anyone apply already or planning to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know too much about this program. Kind of late to the game as I'm just finishing up my apps for Georgetown and Boston MAMS, anyone know if the CMS program is similar? My only worry at this point is an April MCAT which might be too late...

Yeah it's a 1 year Master's of Biomedical Sciences with a 50%ish linkage rate to their med school. Cycle ends June 1st so April MCAT is fine, that's when I'm taking mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be applying in the next few weeks once my letters are in.

By 50% linkage rate, do you mean that half of the kids get into the med school? As someone who's unfortunately probably not going to get in anywhere this year, I'm looking for places that have sort of feeder programs into medical schools.

Anyone out there who's been accepted or finished their applications yet? I'm trying to get all my SMP apps done this weekend. Their personal statement section has some fairly specific questions. I'm using a slightly modified version of what I plan to be my med school personal statement for other programs, but I think I may need to rewrite it for this app.

Also, about the biochem lab requirement. I'm nontraditional, I don't have research experience and my postbacc doesn't offer biochem lab. I'm going to email them about it but am curious if anyone has had it waived for something similar.

By 50% linkage rate, do you mean that half of the kids get into the med school? As someone who's unfortunately probably not going to get in anywhere this year, I'm looking for places that have sort of feeder programs into medical schools.
Yeah, roughly. If you're in the program, you get a guaranteed interview with their medical school. In the past few years, if there have been 100 students in the class, about 50 on average get accepted into their med school. However you need to aim to get all straight A's or it's likely they won't take you. From what I've heard, once you're in the master's program they don't really look at your undergrad GPA or MCAT anymore which means you have to ace the program to show you deserve a spot int their med school.

Check out last year's thread for more info!: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/rosalind-franklin-bms-2015-2016.1095156/

Anyone out there who's been accepted or finished their applications yet? I'm trying to get all my SMP apps done this weekend. Their personal statement section has some fairly specific questions. I'm using a slightly modified version of what I plan to be my med school personal statement for other programs, but I think I may need to rewrite it for this app.

Also, about the biochem lab requirement. I'm nontraditional, I don't have research experience and my postbacc doesn't offer biochem lab. I'm going to email them about it but am curious if anyone has had it waived for something similar.
Sorry, can't help with the application since I haven't started it yet. But I emailed them a few months ago asking about waiving the biochem lab requirement and they never replied. Please let me know if you hear back.

Yeah, roughly. If you're in the program, you get a guaranteed interview with their medical school. In the past few years, if there have been 100 students in the class, about 50 on average get accepted into their med school. However you need to aim to get all straight A's or it's likely they won't take you. From what I've heard, once you're in the master's program they don't really look at your undergrad GPA or MCAT anymore which means you have to ace the program to show you deserve a spot int their med school.

Check out last year's thread for more info!: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/rosalind-franklin-bms-2015-2016.1095156/

Thanks a lot that's really helpful! Just wondering though - they only look at your first quarter grades in the SMP right? Or else they'd accept you way too late?

Thanks a lot that's really helpful! Just wondering though - they only look at your first quarter grades in the SMP right? Or else they'd accept you way too late?
Interviews are usually held in January so yes it would be based on first quarter grades. But I believe you get a conditional acceptance so you still need to do well the rest of the year.

Getting A's in the first quarter will most likely help you get in earlier, but you still need to perform well the following quarters. The first wave is usually in February which is nearly the end of the second quarter. After this wave the committee meets every few weeks and looks at recent test scores. So really don't think after the first quarter you can start relaxing. Also once you do get in it is a conditional acceptance and requires you to get at least B's in all remaining courses. Many people do not get an acceptance until late May.

Were you able to figure this out? I'm in a similar situation Ive tried calling and emailing them but I have not heard back. Please let me know if they told you anything and if they let me know I will inform you.

I'm going to be applying to med schools while taking this program (assuming I end up going). Is this what the majority of people do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Were you able to figure this out? I'm in a similar situation Ive tried calling and emailing them but I have not heard back. Please let me know if they told you anything and if they let me know I will inform you.
No I had a few things come up and haven't had a chance to ask yet. Will post here if I find out anything.

Hi everyone,
I am currently an M1 at RFUMS who got into Chicago Medical School (CMS) via the BMS program. I understand that many applicants may have questions about the program and may come across statements things that aren't true. I will write about my experience here and hopefully it will help future applicants from getting confused.

The program:
This is a one-year masters program where students take four courses taken by first year medical students at RFUMS.
Biochemistry; 6.5 credits; Fall/Winter
Clinical Molecular Cell Biology(CMCB); 3.5 credits; Fall
Medical Physiology; 14 credits; Fall/Winter/Spring
Medical Neuroscience; 7 credits; Spring
Addition to the medical school courses, BMS student take 4 online courses for certificates in nutrition, health care administration, healthcare education etc.
There are BMS exclusive courses Topics in Physiology (TiPs) and Healthcare Inter-professionalism (HIPS).

Link to the medical school:
Assuming a BMS student is passing all courses and applied to the program of their choice (CMS mostly), they are guaranteed an interview. For my year, all interview invites were sent by January and the interview dates were between December and April. The starting class size was about 111. Graduating number of students was little over 90. I know out of the 90 students graduated not all applied to the medical school. Some applied to PA schools, some Podiatry and few who didn't apply for medical school for the same application cycle. The estimate number of students that applied to medical school for the same year and got accepted would be around 55/85.

What the Medical school looks for:
When considering BMS students for admissions to the medical school, the admissions committee doesn't take into account the students' undergraduate GPA or MCAT. They look at students' performance during BMS, THE WHOLE YEAR. One huge advantage the BMS students get is that when their grades are being sent to CMS, they don't send letter grades, they send percentage. So if a student misses an A by getting 89%, would still be consider a great student. Furthermore, even though C (or a low passing grade in general) is not an ideal grade, in the past, students who got C in CMCB or biochem but later on did really well in physiology and neuroscience, were still accepted to CMS.
The interview is also very important. In the past students with mediocre grades that did well on their interview got accepted and students with straight A's who did bad in interview got rejected. So it is not something to be taken for granted.

Other Advantages:
BMS students are also privileged to update their application even after sending their secondary application to CMS. RFUMS offers many variety of extracurricular activities for all their students and BMS students usually get very involved. These activities can be used to improve application.

I hope that this is helpful information for future applicants. Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
I just got a PM asking about how clinical experience may effect admissions to CMS via BMS program. I thought I write the answer here because this is very important.

Extracurricular activities:
The BMS program director has made sure BMS students know that no amount of perfect scores and interview skills will make up for no clinical experience or extracurricular activities. Now, don't let that discourage you if your clinical experience or other EC is lacking. There is still plenty of time to add those experiences before the BMS program starts. Also, don't forget that BMS students are privileged that they can send their updated extracurricular activity list even after submitting their secondary application. This is HUGE because at RFUMS, students have many and variety of opportunities to boost their applications.

The activities school offers include clinical, academic, leadership and others. Many of these activities don't require much time-commitment so, generally students get involved in one or two things. Most students are able to manage a few without it interfering too much with their studies.

p.s. if anyone has any question that think other users here can benefit from, please ask me on the forum if it's not too personal.
p.s.s. I won't be able to tell anyone whether they have a chance of getting into BMS/CMS if they send me list of activities and their grades. The school looks at students holistically and I don't know how each thing is emphasized. Please remember that I am only a student and that I am sharing information based on my experience.

Last edited:
The website says that 1 year of organic with lab is required. Does anyone know if we can substitute Orgo II with biochem? I've called admissions but cannot get ahold of an answer.

Also, how strict is the GPA requirement? I have a low GPA but decent mcat (2.9/32), wondering if this will get me cut.
Usually the course requirement for BMS is same exact as CMS.
BMS requirement: https://rosalindfranklin.edu/academ...medical-sciences-ms/application-requirements/
CMS requirement: https://rosalindfranklin.edu/academ...hool/degree-program/application-requirements/

It looks like you should be fine. You should still contact them to make sure. If phone calls don't work, I suggest you emailing them.

Does this mean that bms applicants should also submit their AMCAS application to RFU at the same time?
If you want to start medical school right after you finish the BMS program, you should complete AMCAS for the appropriate application year. So if you want to start BMS in fall of 2016, you must submit AMCAS application for CMS before the 2017 deadline.

Thanks. Is there a disadvantage to fall 2016 BMS students who apply CMS for the 2018 deadline instead of this 2017 deadline? Would a 2018 AMCAS student still have to interview with CMS during the BMS school year?
If you want to start medical school Fall 2018 rather than 2017, you would submit AMCAS application during 2017 (after BMS 2016-2017). Meaning, this way, you won't interview 1 year early. As far as disadvantage is concerned for being guaranteed and interview that way, I don't know. You would have to ask an admissions councilor that question.
Do keep in mind that medical school courses taken during BMS year are not required to be retaken. Students who get accepted to CMS via BMS are referred as M1As (M1 with advance standing). Since courses taught during that year will be tested for UMSLE step 1, it is not a good idea to have a gap year between BMS and M1A. <-- Just my opinion

Reactions: 1 user
@iRezaDH
What kind of stats are necessary for admission into this program? Would a 3.3c/3.2sgpa and 33 mcat be competitive?

Were these courses significantly more difficult than your undergrad courses? I haven't taken any form of anatomy- would that make physiology much more difficult? Thanks for your help!

@iRezaDH I also have a few questions if you don't mind answering.
1. What is the tuition like for the BMS program?
2. If you enter CMS with advanced standing, does this mean you graduate earlier or what does that really entail?
3. Is this school focused on primary care? I see that they focus a lot on community service.
4. Are there opportunities for BMS/ CMS students to participate in research?
5. What kind of support do they have for BMS students in terms of advising to enter CMS or any other program?

I know this is a lot, but I am super interested in this program and would like to know more information. The website doesn't say much. Thanks a bunch!

@iRezaDH
What kind of stats are necessary for admission into this program? Would a 3.3c/3.2sgpa and 33 mcat be competitive?

Were these courses significantly more difficult than your undergrad courses? I haven't taken any form of anatomy- would that make physiology much more difficult? Thanks for your help!

These are medical school course, so yes, they are much more challenging than undergraduate courses. I didn't think Anatomy was necessary to do well in the BMS courses.

@iRezaDH I also have a few questions if you don't mind answering.
I know this is a lot, but I am super interested in this program and would like to know more information. The website doesn't say much. Thanks a bunch!

1. What is the tuition like for the BMS program?
My year was about 42k. You should check RFUMS web site for any changes.
2. If you enter CMS with advanced standing, does this mean you graduate earlier or what does that really entail?
It means that during your first year at medical school, you won't have to retake the courses you did during BMS and then continue as a regular student from second year. This makes first year of medical school significantly easier than the BMS program. However, because that would be too easy, M1As are required to participate in Advanced Institutional Learning (AIL). Some students choose to get an online Masters degree that is a continuation of their track course they did during BMS. For example, if someone was enrolled in Nutrition certification program during BMS, they can continue for a Masters in Nutrition.
There are other options available for AIL projects. Many students go for research. There are many basic science research positions available on campus. The school also offers clinical science research. Students also have the option to do research off campus.

3. Is this school focused on primary care? I see that they focus a lot on community service.
No, I wouldn't say this school is focused on primary care. Many 4th year students match into specialty programs.
4. Are there opportunities for BMS/ CMS students to participate in research?
Yes. Usually research is not recommended for BMS students because it is very time consuming and grades matter a lot.
5. What kind of support do they have for BMS students in terms of advising to enter CMS or any other program?
BMS students do get advisers. First, there is a faculty adviser. These advisers will follow up with students and answer questions they have. I know my adviser would help us practice for traditional interviews if students requested. CMS however, does multiple mini interviews. For this, we have a faculty/adviser who organizes mock interviews for students who choose to participate (this was done for first time in my year, not exactly sure if this is happening this year).
There are also student mentors by option. You can sign up so you can be paired with an M1A as your mentor, someone who has been in your shoes last year. This obviously isn't very official but, students find it useful.

What are you guys doing for the Intro to Sociology and Biochem lab requirements. They are the only ones I don't have. I would have to take them this summer I guess. Does anyone know if they can be substituted with other courses? I took a lot of linguistics courses for my major, and a lot of random biology lab courses - but don't have a research lab as stated on the site as a substitution.

What are you guys doing for the Intro to Sociology and Biochem lab requirements. They are the only ones I don't have. I would have to take them this summer I guess. Does anyone know if they can be substituted with other courses? I took a lot of linguistics courses for my major, and a lot of random biology lab courses - but don't have a research lab as stated on the site as a substitution.
If I get in I'm pretty sure I could squeeze in an online sociology course through my local community college over the summer. Biochem lab though, I have no idea, it isn't even offered in my postbacc, and I looked into other local colleges and it doesn't seem like I'd be able to take it anywhere. I emailed RFU about it last week but haven't heard back.

Hi everyone, I'm applying to BMS this cycle and finishing up my application. Do you guys know where to send our transcripts to? The website just says it needs transcripts but doesn't say where to exactly. Is it the 3333 address??

I'm a current BMS student - iRezaDH has very sound advice. I'd consider it probably the best description of BMS (numbers wise) that you'll receive on this thread - make sure you read it all!

This is what the Office of Admissions and Recruitment replied to me with regarding the Biochemistry Lab requirement:

"In cases where a school does not offer a Biochemistry lab that you would be able to take, an advanced research lab such as Genetics Laboratory or a 10-week Summer Research Program would also be acceptable to satisfy the requirement."

(I had asked specifically if either of those would count)

Reactions: 1 users
Also applying to this program. I would love to go to CMS and practice in Chicago rather than in FL. Also have tons of family over there. I was wondering, does this program yield good MD acceptance rates to schools other than CMS?

Since I'd be applying to other medical schools in addition to CMS, I was wondering if this program offers any sort of committee recommendation or something similar that supplements fall semester grades to send to other medical schools?

[QUO TE="Abraxas305, post: 17443778, member: 646190"]Also applying to this program. I would love to go to CMS and practice in Chicago rather than in FL. Also have tons of family over there. I was wondering, does this program yield good MD acceptance rates to schools other than CMS?[/QUOTE]

Some do. But I wouldn't put too much of that on their attending BMS.

You can request interim grade reports to be sent to schools.

Do you know when they'll start sending out acceptances?

Can anyone give me advice on my chances? I just found out about the program a couple weeks ago, so I'm a little late in the game, but I love everything I've seen and I think it would be a perfect fit. I have most of the application filled out. Just working on essays and LORs.

However, from what I've read, those who are admitted usually have either a low MCAT and high GPA or high MCAT and low GPA, not both. I have a 3.2 sGPA and 3.3 cGPA and a 501 MCAT, which is also pretty unbalanced...but I can say that my extracurriculars are pretty above average and include 1,000+ hours in clinical settings (volunteer and employment), small amount of research experience, and also interning in public health education and serving as president for two community service organizations.

I'm considering taking the GRE before the June deadline because that's much easier to study for than to try to get a 507+ by then, unless a 501 is good enough?

Thanks in advance!

Can anyone give me advice on my chances? I just found out about the program a couple weeks ago, so I'm a little late in the game, but I love everything I've seen and I think it would be a perfect fit. I have most of the application filled out. Just working on essays and LORs.

However, from what I've read, those who are admitted usually have either a low MCAT and high GPA or high MCAT and low GPA, not both. I have a 3.2 sGPA and 3.3 cGPA and a 501 MCAT, which is also pretty unbalanced...but I can say that my extracurriculars are pretty above average and include 1,000+ hours in clinical settings (volunteer and employment), small amount of research experience, and also interning in public health education and serving as president for two community service organizations.

I'm considering taking the GRE before the June deadline because that's much easier to study for than to try to get a 507+ by then, unless a 501 is good enough?

Thanks in advance!

I think your chances are good. Apply asap. But just know what you're getting into.

What are you guys doing about LOR's for the BMS program? Would it be ok to submit my AMCAS letters, or should I find additional letters for the BMS program specifically? Thanks!

What are you guys doing about LOR's for the BMS program? Would it be ok to submit my AMCAS letters, or should I find additional letters for the BMS program specifically? Thanks!

Your AMCAS letters will be fine.

They're really hard to get a hold of...Does anyone know if they accept letters from a doctor you shadowed? Not sure if he would count as a "supervisor" but his letter is the only one specifically written for BMS.

They're really hard to get a hold of...Does anyone know if they accept letters from a doctor you shadowed? Not sure if he would count as a "supervisor" but his letter is the only one specifically written for BMS.
They should. I don't see why not.

Just a heads up, I asked about AACOMAS LORs and finally got an email stating that recommendations must be written specifically for BMS, not for med school..not sure if they just don't accept letters for DO apps in particular, but I would double check if I were you.

If you don't mind sharing, what were your stats/extracurriculars like?

3.4 cum/3.57 sci started off biochem switched to bio major. I haven't taken the MCAT yet (June 18) I took the GRE last November with barely any studying because of school+research+volunteering and placed above average (I think 68 or 70ish percentile). I've volunteered at nursing homes, clinics, and hospitals since 2007 up through now. I grad this May.

3.4 cum/3.57 sci started off biochem switched to bio major. I haven't taken the MCAT yet (June 18) I took the GRE last November with barely any studying because of school+research+volunteering and placed above average (I think 68 or 70ish percentile). I've volunteered at nursing homes, clinics, and hospitals since 2007 up through now. I grad this May.

Hmm, your stats are really good! Hopefully they are just waitlisting you until you they get your mcat scores in. I wouldn't worry if I were you. Good luck tho!

So happy this thread was started. Is there a wait list for this program already????

Yes, I submitted the waitlist confirmation form yesterday. She told me she would contact me in case there was any change to the waitlist (not ranked by the way). It may take as long as the first week of class to find out if I'm accepted.

To update prospective students on the BMS program: the curriculum is changing. This is to say, BMS your year (2016-2017) will not be exactly the same as BMS this year (2015-2016). Notably, BMS students from your year's class (2016-2017) who matriculate into CMS will NOT be given M1A status (reduced courseload since we've already taken CMCB/Biochem/Physio/Neuro). They will matriculate with M1 status. Beyond this we received no more information.

Reactions: 1 users
To update prospective students on the BMS program: the curriculum is changing. This is to say, BMS your year (2016-2017) will not be exactly the same as BMS this year (2015-2016). Notably, BMS students from your year's class (2016-2017) who matriculate into CMS will NOT be given M1A status (reduced courseload since we've already taken CMCB/Biochem/Physio/Neuro). They will matriculate with M1 status. Beyond this we received no more information.

Does that mean we would have to retake those classes during our M1 year?

Does that mean we would have to retake those classes during our M1 year?
It is from my understanding that starting fall 2017, CMS will have a different curriculum than it currently has. Right now, subjects are divided into different courses: cmcb, biochem, physiology etc. Starting 2017 there won't be division of courses anymore, instead medical students will study "medicine" all together. Current BMS students take about half of the courses as M1's do, and won't repeat the courses later on. This no longer will be possible for BMS Fall 2017 because first year medical eduction, with the new curriculum can't be split like it does right now.
As for as BMS students entering Fall 2016, their curriculum will look same as now; meaning they will take half of the courses as medical students entering fall 2016. But when they matriculate for 2017 medical school, the courses they had taken during 2016-2017 academic year will no longer reflect 2017's version of medical education. They won't be necessarily repeating the courses since they won't be offered anymore. I don't think anyone at this point knows what the curriculum for BMS entering fall 2017 will look like. I will update this post if I find out anything new or more accurate information.

It is from my understanding that starting fall 2017, CMS will have a different curriculum than it currently has. Right now, subjects are divided into different courses: cmcb, biochem, physiology etc. Starting 2017 there won't be division of courses anymore, instead medical students will study "medicine" all together. Current BMS students take about half of the courses as M1's do, and won't repeat the courses later on. This no longer will be possible for BMS Fall 2017 because first year medical eduction, with the new curriculum can't be split like it does right now.
As for as BMS students entering Fall 2016, their curriculum will look same as now; meaning they will take half of the courses as medical students entering fall 2016. But when they matriculate for 2017 medical school, the courses they had taken during 2016-2017 academic year will no longer reflect 2017's version of medical education. They won't be necessarily repeating the courses since they won't be offered anymore. I don't think anyone at this point knows what the curriculum for BMS entering fall 2017 will look like. I will update this post if I find out anything new or more accurate information.

So for BMS students entering Fall 2016, we will still be taking the same courses (cmcb, biochem, physiology etc) with the M1 students, right? But unlike previous years, if we matriculate into CMS then our course load as M1's probably will not be any lighter?

First they change the MCAT on me and now this :( Thank you for the clarification!