Rosalind Franklin BMS 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After submitting the app, how long does it usually take to hear back about admissions decisions for the BMS program?

Varies/ but it took about 2 weeks for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, please know I have been accepted today, and I was completed on Thursday (2/28).

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here get accepted and then do the CASper or do we need to do it before we can be considered?

I’m pretty sure that you need to complete CASPER before being considered.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Everyone! Just accepted here. I applied last week. I’m excited for this opportunity. And this is the first time I can say I’m excited since the interview season has ended.

stats for accepted people
L

My stats: 3.58 cGPA, 3.56 sGPA. Biochem major. 512 MCAT. ECs: Military Combat Medic. Free Clinic volunteering roughly 400 hours. Chem tutor for 3 years. Personal trainer.

RFU sent me an invite to apply and then pulled everything from AMCAS. It was like a ten minute application. I know this is standard procedure for some SMPs, and they want money almost as much as they want to see people succeed (LOL), but it was a nice change to make things streamlined! Every other thing I applied to was like.... “Here! Enter your transcripts again... 5 times! Go through 3 interviews. So we can admit you to a program with NO linkage.” Little things like this, I hope, speak to the culture of the school and what to expect when you get there.

Hey Everyone! Just accepted here. I applied last week. I’m excited for this opportunity. And this is the first time I can say I’m excited since the interview season has ended.

My stats: 3.58 cGPA, 3.56 sGPA. Biochem major. 512 MCAT. ECs: Military Combat Medic. Free Clinic volunteering roughly 400 hours. Chem tutor for 3 years. Personal trainer.

RFU sent me an invite to apply and then pulled everything from AMCAS. It was like a ten minute application. I know this is standard procedure for some SMPs, and they want money almost as much as they want to see people succeed (LOL), but it was a nice change to make things streamlined! Every other thing I applied to was like.... “Here! Enter your transcripts again... 5 times! Go through 3 interviews. So we can admit you to a program with NO linkage.” Little things like this, I hope, speak to the culture of the school and what to expect when you get there.
Congrats. How did they invite you to apply? Did you apply to the medical school first??

Congrats. How did they invite you to apply? Did you apply to the medical school first??

Yes. I applied to RFU and was reject pre-interview. I am not sure if there’s a qualitative screening or if it’s based on gpa and mcat. But they emailed me about the program.

Yes. I applied to RFU and was reject pre-interview. I am not sure if there’s a qualitative screening or if it’s based on gpa and mcat. But they emailed me about the program.
I’m shocked you were rejected your stats are higher than their averages. Craziness.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m shocked you were rejected your stats are higher than their averages. Craziness.

Thanks for the encouragement. This cycle has been really hard on my self-esteem. Hahaha. I took the MCAT in late August. Submitted my secondary in October. I think that pretty much explains it. Thankfully I’ll finish undergrad with a higher GPA

Thanks for the encouragement. This cycle has been really hard on my self-esteem. Hahaha. I took the MCAT in late August. Submitted my secondary in October. I think that pretty much explains it. Thankfully I’ll finish undergrad with a higher GPA
I honestly wish you the best of luck and I’m sure you will rock it. Totally understand where you are coming from. I’m an older applicant who is tied down to IL because of family stuff. I’m applying here for next cycle. Fingers crossed!

I honestly wish you the best of luck and I’m sure you will rock it. Totally understand where you are coming from. I’m an older applicant who is tied down to IL because of family stuff. I’m applying here for next cycle. Fingers crossed!

Same to you! DM me if you end up here!

I applied early to BMS, since I had an unsuccessful med school cycle. Accepted pretty quickly. cGPA ~3.2, sGPA ~ 2.9, MCAT - 506. So it's pretty clear why my cycle was unsuccessful, but I'm ready to work hard. 60% linkage is much better odds than I would get from a reapplication in the current state my GPA is in. I know there's definitely risk involved, but I'm okay with the odds.

Reactions: 1 users
Are we graded on the certificate courses or is it just pass/fail? Can someone indicate whether those are easy or difficult?

You are graded on the certificate courses but in my experience (population health track) they are fairly easy. There can be a lot of paper writing/busy work but I put in less effort for these papers than I did in undergrad and usually receive an A. You still have to take the classes seriously because they are included in the "B or above" condition but they aren't too bad aside from the time consuming paper writing aspect.

Anyone else in the program have any opinions to offer about the quality and the outcomes? I’ve heard negative things. Price tag may not be worth it.

Anyone else in the program have any opinions to offer about the quality and the outcomes? I’ve heard negative things. Price tag may not be worth it.
High Risk High Reward, only person that can make it worth the price tag is yourself.

I was thinking about this program, but decided it's too risky. Someone on reddit who is in this program right now and was rejected after the interview said:

"I honestly feel like I was used and pawned for money based off of how I performed in this program, what I was told, and then eventually what happened to me."

"lots of kids in my program struggle to get B's but the linkage has worked for them. I've been getting A's and the linkage has not worked for me. not quite sure how they factor this linkage thing because it doesn't seem to be based on grades at my SMP."

I was thinking about this program, but decided it's too risky. Someone on reddit who is in this program right now and was rejected after the interview said:

"I honestly feel like I was used and pawned for money based off of how I performed in this program, what I was told, and then eventually what happened to me."

"lots of kids in my program struggle to get B's but the linkage has worked for them. I've been getting A's and the linkage has not worked for me. not quite sure how they factor this linkage thing because it doesn't seem to be based on grades at my SMP."
Well that’s concerning to hear. Can anybody talk about what other factors are considered? I really hope race isn’t a factor once your in BMS.

I have no idea who the person is that posted that on Reddit but there's other things that matter besides grades in the program and they make that abundantly clear. After grades the interview matters just as much as it does for a normal applicant. The program advisors offer many practice days and do a presentation on the MMI format to prepare us, and ultimately we have to perform well in the interview. Some people seemed to think the interview was a joke and that their acceptance was already secured - I'm not sure they practiced and their interview marks likely suffered as a result. That's enough for a rejection the same as it would be for a non BMS applicant.

There is also recommended volunteer hours given at the beginning of the program - I completed all of mine plus about 20 extra. While I didn't kill myself I wanted to show I would do more than the bare minimum and almost every single person I know volunteered extra as well or got involved in some other way.

I think this program was excellent and gave me a great shot that I otherwise wouldn't have had! I have a few minor complaints about the program but nothing crazy.

Reactions: 5 users
I’d assume it was either because they did poorly on their interview or their overall application did not satisfy CMS requirements (ex: they were told to complete 100 hours of volunteer work but only did 50)
FYI if you're banking on your service hours from Greek Life in undergrad then prepare to be disappointed. Apparently, they think that the majority of that work involves fundraising so it's not counted. They called me a few weeks before the program started and told me I needed 100 extra hours, so it wasn't very convenient (I had other hours besides the fraternity stuff). During orientation, my student rep told me he thought 100 sounded excessive and that I should focus more on academics instead of finishing the full 100 hours. I did end up finishing those hours, but it wasn't until January.

Simba- According to this post **Rate your SMP & Postbac**
Of the 2017-2018 class around 60 ppl got in out of the 95 students.
Here's a post from the 2018-2019 thread:

I was also told that out of 93 students in previous class 60 got in into CMS out of which 7 ended up having their conditional acceptance retracted due to grades, so 53 matriculated into CMS last year while it was 40 the year prior.

I seem to remember that we had over 100 people at the start of the year so that total probably doesn't include all of the folks who dropped out as the year went along.

FYI if you're banking on your service hours from Greek Life in undergrad then prepare to be disappointed. Apparently, they think that the majority of that work involves fundraising so it's not counted. They called me a few weeks before the program started and told me I needed 100 extra hours, so it wasn't very convenient (I had other hours besides the fraternity stuff). During orientation, my student rep told me he thought 100 sounded excessive and that I should focus more on academics instead of finishing the full 100 hours. I did end up finishing those hours, but it wasn't until January.

Here's a post from the 2018-2019 thread:

I seem to remember that we had over 100 people at the start of the year so that total probably doesn't include all of the folks who dropped out as the year went along.

Are you part of the 2018- 201 class that matriculated to CMS? They also post this every year: this is from 2017-2018
74 applied 51 matriculated

But if you are from the current class it seems like 83 people applied to CMS and i think 45-60 people i got in

How do you guys think the food works? Do we have cook ourselves or can we sign up for board (as in room and board). Cuz I think they charge for room separately.
What are you even asking?? I’m pretty sure no one will care if you cook food for yourself.

Would anyone happen to know if I would need to take the CASPer exam again to apply to CMS from the BMS program? I know that my MCAT transfers over, but does that apply to the CASPer exam? Anyone who's applied to CMS from BMS aware?

Would anyone happen to know if I would need to take the CASPer exam again to apply to CMS from the BMS program? I know that my MCAT transfers over, but does that apply to the CASPer exam? Anyone who's applied to CMS from BMS aware?
Your CASPer exam can be transferred to your CMS application! Meaning you only need to take it one time.

My application was completed on April 5th. I haven’t heard anything back. Did anyone get accepted/rejected yet and wouldn’t mind sharing?

Also, will I get rejected if I didn’t complete a certain amount of community service hours?

My application was completed on April 5th. I haven’t heard anything back. Did anyone get accepted/rejected yet and wouldn’t mind sharing?

Also, will I get rejected if I didn’t complete a certain amount of community service hours?
Do you have any volunteer hours? From what I’ve been told is that if your accepted they will tell you how many hours you need for CMS.

Wait at least 10-12 more days. Cuz it takes them 4-6 weeks. And they will tell you if you need to complete a certain number of hours. Good luck!

I’m applying next cycle. Do you need volunteer hours to ge the BMS program or just for CMS??

It depends. If you have some volunteering (like me) it probably looks good on BMS app. But I think vol hours are for CMS. And they highly recommend to finish the hours before BMS starts. You should contact the school about this and ask how much you have to do (and get an early start).

Got an invitation to apply to the program a couple weeks ago and just submitted today. I had originally applied to the MD program and was rejected pre-interview. This was my fourth cycle applying and honestly I had given up on medical school, so this is kindof throwing me for a loop haha. My undergrad GPA was 3.3 science, 3.4 cumulative, with a 512 MCAT and knew that my grades have been my biggest weakness all along. Very curious to see if I get accepted as that would be potentially life-changing for me!

Got an invitation to apply to the program a couple weeks ago and just submitted today. I had originally applied to the MD program and was rejected pre-interview. This was my fourth cycle applying and honestly I had given up on medical school, so this is kindof throwing me for a loop haha. My undergrad GPA was 3.3 science, 3.4 cumulative, with a 512 MCAT and knew that my grades have been my biggest weakness all along. Very curious to see if I get accepted as that would be potentially life-changing for me!
Did you apply DO?

Did you apply DO?
Yup, this past cycle I was pushing hard for DO and am honestly a little surprised I got skunked by all of them. I'm a Michigan resident and didn't even get an interview at MSU COM. I know some of them have more stringent requirements for reference letters which I didn't always meet (I had no non-science letters and the DO that offered to write me a letter is so scatterbrained he kept forgetting lol) so I think that may have tripped me up.

Yup, this past cycle I was pushing hard for DO and am honestly a little surprised I got skunked by all of them. I'm a Michigan resident and didn't even get an interview at MSU COM. I know some of them have more stringent requirements for reference letters which I didn't always meet (I had no non-science letters and the DO that offered to write me a letter is so scatterbrained he kept forgetting lol) so I think that may have tripped me up.
Wow I’m completely shocked you didn’t get into DO with that mcat.

I just got an acceptance to this program! Does anybody know if there is a deposit that you have to make if you go through the intent to enroll process? Also, it asks for my CAS ID Number, but I'm not sure what that number is. Anybody have any ideas?

I just got an acceptance to this program! Does anybody know if there is a deposit that you have to make if you go through the intent to enroll process? Also, it asks for my CAS ID Number, but I'm not sure what that number is. Anybody have any ideas?
Congrats! Can I ask when your application was completed and your stats? Your CAS ID Number can be found on your application portal/profile.

Last edited:
Wow I’m completely shocked you didn’t get into DO with that mcat.

Yeah *shrug* I'm going to ask a few schools if they'll give me any feedback on what went wrong in case I decide to apply again in the future.

Congrats! Can I ask when your application was completed and your stats? Your CAS ID Number can be found on your application portal/profile.
I was complete April 5th, but just used my Med School application as my application to the Masters Program. 516 MACT. 3.58 cGPA. I probably won't be attending the program though, since it's far away from where I currently live and somewhat expensive.

For those accepted, have you guys taken the casper test? Current/Past BMS students- is it okay to submit before you take the casper test? Would anyone recommend doing either over the other?

Are the stats for students accepted to CMS from BMS included in MSAR already?