Rosalind Franklin BMS 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I never went to class like ever and did well.... except for the few mandatory classes that happened like once a week or once every two weeks so you can for sure live with your fiancé at home! The only time it’s a pain to commute is the first 5 weeks of the program when you’re taking foundations of clinical medicine because that class isn’t recorded and she takes attendance but other than that, for the rest of the program I just studied at home and watched this year’s/last years lecture recordings that were the same.

Oh, wow, I had never even thought that was possible! I initially thought on-campus housing would be a my best bet as I have lots of distractions at home anyway, but it is so expensive! I live in SW Michigan so it isn't too incredibly far away, but I also need to give myself the best odds for success. Thanks for giving me another option to consider!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, wow, I had never even thought that was possible! I initially thought on-campus housing would be a my best bet as I have lots of distractions at home anyway, but it is so expensive! I live in SW Michigan so it isn't too incredibly far away, but I also need to give myself the best odds for success. Thanks for giving me another option to consider!

SW Michigan may be a bit too far because the schedule changes week to week so you may have to be on campus 1x a week but if there’s a snow day or something and they decide to push everything then it may be like 3x, it’s pretty unpredictable. I only lived 30 min away so my commute wasn’t bad.
I know some people do navy housing with like 3 other people and it’s pretty cheap

Can anyone comment on whether or not your mcat has any barring on whether or not you get into CMS? I have heard that once your in only your BMS grades count. However, I have seen some conflicting info lately

I would say that technically no but CMS never actually accepts everyone, they have stuck around their 60-70% acceptance rate from BMS so say you have the same exact grades as someone else who performed just as well on the interview as you, then maybe mcat score is taken into consideration. They’ve never told us anything straight up like yes or no, they’ll stuff like “CMS looks at your whole application.” At the end of the day though, your grades matter most so if you got an amazing mcat score but you got a C in a class, CMS won’t accept you

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! Applying late but im soooo confused on the application. I applied to Loyola and their application process is so much simpler. Can any one help on the transcript entering for the prerequisites?? Seems like they are making us to their work. Do I just enter what I think counts?

What is this program's greatest strength and weakness? I've been offered an admission, but I am currently in between this program and another.

For reference:
Submitted, 05/13
Complete, 06/01
Accepted, 06/06

So it appears that, if I want to be considered for the entering c/o 2020 at CMS, I need to submit an AMCAS application this summer?

Should I bother applying to other schools in addition to RFU? I plan on excelling in this program and would be very happy to join the MD program at RFU if I were to get in, but doing med school in Michigan would be nice! I suppose I could reach out to individual schools if that might help.

BMS graduate entering Chicago medical school this upcoming year. If anyone has any questions about the program, feel free to send me a message. Overall, I highly recommend the program. The school has a great community and atmosphere.

Do you mind explaining how you went about getting your housing assignment? Thanks!
Also got my housing assignment last week. Applied for roommate/campus housing through here: Student Housing . I asked about the random roommate/figuring out who roommate was and they said they let you know 30 days prior to lease start. Sounds like random roommate freshman year all over again

Reactions: 1 users
there's several housing options and you rank your preferences. I called the student housing office and apparently off campus and on campus housing are both ~5-7 mins walk from campus. I would've done on campus but they don't provide bed/desk anyways so I just went with the Woodlands apartment.
Wait so the on campus housing doesn't provide any furniture?

Wait so the on campus housing doesn't provide any furniture?
Never mind I answered my own question. In case anyone else was wondering this is what you need to bring and what is supplied: Common Questions about On-campus Housing

What should I provide?
Living/Dining Room Furnishings
  • Sofa and/or Chairs
  • Lamps
  • Tables / Chairs
Bedroom Furnishings
  • Bed
  • Dresser
  • Desk
  • Lamps
  • Nightstands
  • Linens
Bathroom Items
  • Towels
  • Shower Curtain
  • Plunger
Utilities
  • Electric Service Via Commonwealth Edison-ComEd (kitchen appliances, A/C, lights)
Kitchen
  • Dishes
  • Garbage Containers
  • Utensils
  • Pots/Pans
Miscellaneous
  • All Personal Items
  • Paper Products (Toilet tissue, paper towel, etc.)

What items does the University supply?
Kitchen
  • Dishwasher
  • Microwave
  • Oven/Range
  • Refrigerator/Freezer
Utilities
  • Gas Heat
  • Wireless Internet Connection
  • Garbage Service
  • Sewer Service
  • Water Service
Window Treatments
  • Vertical blinds on all windows
Overhead Lighting
  • Closets
  • Kitchen
  • Entryway
  • Bathroom

Members don't see this ad :)
Signed up for population health based solely off of some posts here saying the workload was a little easier. I want to ensure I have all the time I need for the harder courses.

health admin is way easier than pop health in my opinion. You have to do super simple discussion posts a few times a week and maybe 1 group project/ quarter.

health admin is way easier than pop health in my opinion. You have to do super simple discussion posts a few times a week and maybe 1 group project/ quarter.
How would you compare them, do you know what the workload looks like for Pop Health?

I also agree that we had a lot less to worry about than pop health. I suggest you do what you're interested in. Pop health will exempt you from the epidimeology class. At the end of the day, I don't think it'll make a difference as long as you do well in all your classes.

How would you compare them, do you know what the workload looks like for Pop Health?
Just a heads up, though, you won’t be learning about “health administration”...
You’ll be learning about “strategic planning and leadership” and “evidence based management” which means writing about your feelings and making your own “strategic plan” lol, and just researching random stuff without guidance, respectively. Then the next block is basically a pop health segment and the last one is organizational behavior which is where you read chapters about the Human Resources department and answer questions about what HR does. So, you really don’t come out with any knowledge regarding Health Administration, in my opinion. On top of that, if you get Elliott as the director for your section, expect to lose points a lot more easily and be confused a lot more often.

At the end of the day, though, whatever you choose, just remember...don’t ask your peers questions in the discussion haha. It’s everyone’s biggest pet peeve when they get a question, so just don’t be that guy/girl. And no, you won’t lose points for not asking questions.

Last edited:
Health Admin and Pop Health are both easy. Don't lose any sweat over your certificate track, just choose whatever you think is going to be more interesting to you! It's a negligible time/energy investment compared to the core science curriculum and it's not hard to do well in these courses.

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else waiting to hear back from the BMS program? If so, when were you guys verified.

Is anyone else waiting to hear back from the BMS program? If so, when were you guys verified.

Some of my BMS classmates were accepted into July as the deadline for the program isn't until the end of June! I believe I was accepted mid-to-late June last year. Most people were verified 1-3 weeks before a decision came out. I was verified for roughly two weeks. After that, only took me about a week to find a good place to live so don't stress on that too much. Good luck!

Does anyone know if RFU has free printing? I was debating whether or not to bring a printer

Does anyone know if RFU has free printing? I was debating whether or not to bring a printer

They do not but printing is super cheap. And they offer printed/binded versions of all of the lecture notes for a great price at the beginning of every unit.

Hey guys! We’re getting closer to the program start date and I think a groupme could be helpful for this short yet intense one-year program! If you’d like to be added, PM your phone number so we can connect more easily and quickly, answer/ask questions, and just get to know each other a bit if you’re interested!

Reactions: 1 users
I just received an acceptance email! I was scared applying late would get me rejected but see you guys in August :)

Have the people who have had advisors reach out to them requesting additional volunteer hours already submitted an AMCAS?

Have the people who have had advisors reach out to them requesting additional volunteer hours already submitted an AMCAS?

you don't have to submit AMCAS until the deadline for CMS admissions. I know several people last year who submitted it then and still got into CMS - the deadline for AMCAS doesn't matter for the linkage.

For other schools, it matters. Not sure how DO works

I kinda feel like an incoming college freshman asking this stuff lol.. but I want to make sure I have everything I need before classes start.

For current students - do you do much by way of physically taking notes during class or is the information delivered by power point (or similar format)? Basically I'm wondering if I need to bother buying notebooks, pens, etc. or if I can just bring my chromebook with me.

Which raises the second question: would a basic chromebook be good enough to get me through? I have a gaming laptop that is more powerful and runs Windows, but it is definitely not portable, lol. I'm pretty sure it would be fine but again, I don't want to be caught unprepared.

I'm sort of old fashioned and would typically take physical notes in undergrad because the act of writing helped me stay focused, but I know this is a whole 'nother ball game. I plan on using Anki quite a bit, but I'm just not really sure what to expect as far as how the classes are run and how the info is delivered.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!!

I kinda feel like an incoming college freshman asking this stuff lol.. but I want to make sure I have everything I need before classes start.

For current students - do you do much by way of physically taking notes during class or is the information delivered by power point (or similar format)? Basically I'm wondering if I need to bother buying notebooks, pens, etc. or if I can just bring my chromebook with me.

Which raises the second question: would a basic chromebook be good enough to get me through? I have a gaming laptop that is more powerful and runs Windows, but it is definitely not portable, lol. I'm pretty sure it would be fine but again, I don't want to be caught unprepared.

I'm sort of old fashioned and would typically take physical notes in undergrad because the act of writing helped me stay focused, but I know this is a whole 'nother ball game. I plan on using Anki quite a bit, but I'm just not really sure what to expect as far as how the classes are run and how the info is delivered.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!!

I did a lot of writing for my notes. Some people prefer blank pens, I would occasionally buy the notes from the bookstore and annotate those. You can also use an iPad and write your notes there or simply type up on the PDF via your computer. I personally kept to writing on my notes and iPad.

I need to submit my primary AMCAS application by the end of July to receive the Committee Letter by my undergraduate university. Should I include any information regarding RFUBMS in the "Schools Attended" section even though the program has not started yet? Any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks!

I need to submit my primary AMCAS application by the end of July to receive the Committee Letter by my undergraduate university. Should I include any information regarding RFUBMS in the "Schools Attended" section even though the program has not started yet? Any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks!

Yes, include it in and mark you will be attending the program.

Hey guys just got my acceptance letter today, Can someone like catch me up to speed on what I need prior, I haven't done anything. Was mainly working on my secondaries. :eek:

Hey guys just got my acceptance letter today, Can someone like catch me up to speed on what I need prior, I haven't done anything. Was mainly working on my secondaries. :eek:
They should email you with next steps, but generally:
1.) submit intent to enroll, pay deposit
2.) set up student account
3.) secure housing
4.) get immunizations, physicals, etc
5.) Make sure your financial aid is set to go
6.) Health insurance
7.) orientation week is August 6-10

Good luck! Congrats on your acceptance!

They should email you with next steps, but generally:
1.) submit intent to enroll, pay deposit
2.) set up student account
3.) secure housing
4.) get immunizations, physicals, etc
5.) Make sure your financial aid is set to go
6.) Health insurance
7.) orientation week is August 6-10

Good luck! Congrats on your acceptance!

Thank you! And if someone is looking to split an apartment or something holla at ya boy. I'm looking at the woodlands apartment right now

I was just wondering if everyone already got assigned an advisor ? I haven't received contact and wasn't sure if/when we register for classes.

I was just wondering if everyone already got assigned an advisor ? I haven't received contact and wasn't sure if/when we register for classes.

I do know that you will be automatically enrolled in classes so you do not have to worry about registering! Depending on when you got accepted, it took them about two weeks to send me my advisor’s contact information.

I do know that you will be automatically enrolled in classes so you do not have to worry about registering! Depending on when you got accepted, it took them about two weeks to send me my advisor’s contact information.
That's good to hear, thank you!!

Hi guys I had a quick question. I know this thread is older but its more of a general question. Is taking MCAT suggested during the program if I apply with a GRE score? And going off of that, would applying with only a GRE hurt my chances? Science was not my area of study in undergrad and I am finishing a post bacc at Loyola in Spring with pre med requisites and don't think I should rush my MCAT, even if I were to take it again, but already have a good GRE score from undergrad.

Hi guys I had a quick question. I know this thread is older but its more of a general question. Is taking MCAT suggested during the program if I apply with a GRE score? And going off of that, would applying with only a GRE hurt my chances? Science was not my area of study in undergrad and I am finishing a post bacc at Loyola in Spring with pre med requisites and don't think I should rush my MCAT, even if I were to take it again, but already have a good GRE score from undergrad.

You can get accepted into this program with a GRE score if you are happy with your score. The thing that’s different about this program is that ideally you can matriculate into the medical school right after you graduate from BMS. So with that, you’re going to want to submit your AMCAS and MCAT scores during the program itself. For that reason, most students have their updated scores in and have retaken the test by December of your BMS year (CMS is not rolling admissions for BMS students you can submit your primary and secondary close to the deadline). If your goal isn’t to go into medical school right after BMS, then you can of course delay retaking the MCAT for as long as you want, but keep in mind that the guaranteed interview is only applicable while you are in the program. I hope this helps!

I called the person for admissions and she said once in the program MCAT has no weight besides the performance in the BMS. But one person I know killed in the program (3.7+) but had a 500 MCAT and was denied into CMS.

I called the person for admissions and she said once in the program MCAT has no weight besides the performance in the BMS. But one person I know killed in the program (3.7+) but had a 500 MCAT and was denied into CMS.

I'm not sure if I would believe that. Usually SMPs are for people with decent/high MCATs with poor or weak undergraduate performance. "has no weight" I would be very skeptical of that.